Fridge on or off?

Hi everyone! Quick question regarding the fridge in my 2021 320S Boondock. We’re parked at home on shore power between adventures, not heading out again for a few weeks. Would you leave your fridge on, or turn it off? Thanks!
Peter & Kate
2021 T@b 320 S Boondock, 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Port Moody, BC 

Comments

• manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I would turn it off but leave it open to let it air and dry out.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,482
    Turn it off, clean and dry.  Why do you keep it plugged in?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Ditto to @Sharon_is_SAM input. Assume you have it on 15amp/120VAC service for fridge alone? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Empty it, turn off, wipe down, leave door ajar. I put the latch pin in so the door can't close all the way.  Day or two before heading out turn it back on to start cooling.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
    What is optimal settings you all use, summer, winter? Desiring +4-7C
    it seems to come on frequently at night, insulation probably not great, solutions?
    2021 tab 320, 
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2021
    We have a 2020 400 BDL with the 12 volt compressor refrigerator and it is my opinion that I could reduce the cycling and improve the efficiency by installing an exhaust fan in place of the battery vent hose since I installed lithium batteries. Moving the heat out that is captured inside the cabinet area to reduce the amount of hot air the refrigerator sits in has to help! I have ours set midway between 3 and 4 and it holds it between 38 and 42F. When it is cold outside, I can turn it down some but again I believe this has more to do with the thermal load in the enclosure than the insulation of the refrigerator. 

Not sure if you can also add a fan to remove the heat from the enclosure around your refrigerator or not. 

However, since we are getting ready for a 6 week run, I am not feeling that I am wanting to take this on along with other things necessary in preparation. Especially since we are going NW and will be at much higher elevations and cooler climates, I don't think it will be near as much of an issue.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Scaler1Scaler1 Member Posts: 6
    Sharon_is_SAM, honestly, I’m not sure. It’s my first trailer. Seemed like the thing to do at home. Maybe so I wouldn’t have to reset all the clocks 🤷🏻?
    Peter & Kate
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock, 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Port Moody, BC 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,482
    @Scaler1 - you have other options besides plugging in.  

1.  You can fully charge your lead acid battery and then use a battery tender.
    2.  You can get an AGM battery and after fully charging it, just turn off the battery switch and it will have limited discharge for many months.  Not sure about lithium maintenance.
    3.  Use solar (installed or portable) to keep the battery charged.

How many clocks do you have?😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio