Options

Caulk around toilet?

Sunny2WSSunny2WS Member Posts: 28
Hi,
I just traded in my older t@b for a 2021, and noticed that there is not caulking around the lateral sides of the toilet tank. Is there any reason NOT to caulk this?  Wanted to caulk the interior of the bathroom before I take a shower. 
2021 320S Boondock
2021 Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Yes, the reason is that this panel is removable, for maintenance access, like checking the Alde glycol level.  Don't caulk it.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Ok, I was wondering about that. I’ll stop caulking everything. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    If you are really worried about infiltration, you could install a gasket of compressible foam weather-strip between the panel and the wall. That's what I did when I had to make a new access hatch behind my toilet.

I'm not sure if it's necessary, or if the panel doesn't already have a gasket. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    That’s a great idea. Maybe I’ll try that. Just seems like mold and water will quickly get back there. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    If you remove the panel, there should be caulk on the panel that's underneath to keep water from getting where it shouldn't.  Any water that gets in the edges of the access panel will just run down and exit the bottom.  There's a thread with pictures showing this - I'll try and find it and paste in here.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143

Here's the comments on caulking the panel underneath.  I caulked mine myself.  My T@B was #8 off the 2021 line and I don't know if they added this caulk procedure to there process but from the picture, hopefully you can see where the caulk should be on the sides that keeps water out of the interior spaces behind the toilet.

• mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 119
      Sharon_is_SAM,  I was referring to the panel in the picture below that has the large oval cut out of it.  Notice the crack along the far left side edge, there's one on the right to.  The access panel screws into place and leaves a similar crack.  Now if water goes past the crack in the access panel, it will head right for the crack in the panel that you see below and water will sit on the plys of the plywood.  But if the crack you see below is caulked, the water drains down to the toilet that has a seal that will let the water come out onto the toilet and be wiped up.  So when I looked at it, I figured the thing to do was caulk the sides of the inside panel you see below.  Granted, unless you use the shower a lot, and actively spray all around, its probably not a big problem but I was just being thorough.  It would be interesting to know if NuCamp's manufacturing process actually has them caulk things this way.  When I studied the shower stall, I noted that they did take the time to caulk everything else which tells me they are interested in stopping water exposure to the edges of the wall material. 

2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
    • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Moderator Posts: 7,583
      Now I see.  The surround should be sealed/caulked and the panel should float.  I will pass this on.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner