Options

Calculating Alde glycol quality with simple annual gravity drains and refills

I’ve read (or skimmed) most everything I could find on changing glycol in the T@B and see a mix of great DIY ideas, high costs from dealers and lot of hesitancy to dive in and try a DIY solution.  Throw on top of that the unknowns about the need to switch to the new Rhomar fluid and it can cause analysis paralysis or just plain denial of the need to do anything – at least it did for me.

After getting through the denial phase and considering the uncertainty of the need to do a complete flush and switch to a new fluid, I thought I could easily handle a gravity drain of the system through the drain plug, and a refill of the system.  I wondered, however, just how effective this would be.  To figure this out, I drained what fluid I could from the system via the rear drain -- managing to remove 6.5 quarts of glycol (2019 T@B 400).  Using a total capacity guestimate of 15 quarts, I calculated that each refill done in this manner would leave 57% of whatever fluid was in the system to begin with and add 43% new fluid each time.   Assuming an exchange of this type each year and starting with 2-year-old fluid, the average age of the fluid just prior to the yearly exchange starts at 2.0 years (prior to initial exchange) and slowly rises to and average age of 2.3 years prior to the 10th annual exchange.

I’m not certain that the average age of the fluid is a precise indicator of its quality, but  the calculations gave me the confidence that I could do a simple drain and refill each year without much risk of damage to the system.  All this, of course, pending any new info on why Alde is recommending a new type of fluid, and pending my need to tinker with pumps, shop vacs, low-point drains and all the other great ideas that are posted in this forum.

For me the partial exchange approach is at minimum a short-term solution that takes little skill or time, and the only cost is the fluid itself.  I’d love to hear any thoughts, especially on the assumption that the average age of the fluid is a reasonable indicator of quality.

2019 T@B 400
2017 Highlander Limited Platinum

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited September 2021
    My thought on Alde fluid exchange is this, or rather a question; of those who promote annual or bi-annual fluid exchange, or whatever the frequency, how many exchange the coolant in their automobile in the lifetime of their auto and how often?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @webers3, I was going to try to explain, but I realized I don’t have the terminology down pat to explain. If you read this discussion ,starting on page 5 (pages 1-4 are from 2016 to 2019), there is a lot of great information in it. No, I do not understand everything I know about the glycol, but there there are others who do https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2665/changing-out-the-alde-fluid/p5
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @Verna Yes, I've read that discussion, the question remains
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    RickyRicky Member Posts: 24
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    The reason that pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me drain flush and refill rather than just drain and partially refill was the issue of corrosion on the convectors, documented by more than one. There seems to be a good rationale that this is a chemical/electrolytic issue with the Alde. The comparison with automotive cooling systems is less compelling for several reasons, not least of which is the difference in the glycol mixtures and the sealed pressurized design. So for me the unknown factor is what additives in the glycol are there and how long do they prevent corrosion? When they degrade what is effect of mixing fresh glycol? None of these are known at least by me. So learning how to drain and flush and refill my system seemed less risk than assuming that dilution and mixing of old and new glycol would prevent problems. Since I am at least starting with a fresh fill every 2 years. And it was much easier than I imagined thanks to @ScottG and others.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    The corrosion issue that surfaced in several T@Bs earlier this year was certainly a motivator to do a more thorough job with the glycol exchange. However, I'm not completely convinced that the crevice corrosion evident on the convector stubs was the result of neglected or degraded glycol.

Now that I've done a full exchange on mine (albeit with the previously recommended century fluid), I'll be curious to see how those stubs look in another year or two. Unlike some other owners, I did not take any addition steps to protect the convectors other than cleaning up the existing deposits as best as possible. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    So I may have missed it, but is there any information about mixing the old and new glycol formulas. I am 5+ hours from any dealer that I would be comfortable doing the flush and replace. But, following RMo’s plan sounds like a good idea, maybe better if you could use the new formula to gradually remove the old. Just a thought…. 
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    If you mean “new formula” as in Rhomar - you can not mix the Century with the Rhomar.  If you change to the Rhomar, you must drain the Century then flush with distilled water before refilling with the Rhomar.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @tphaggerty, under no circumstances do you mix the two kinds glycol. This warning comes with both types of glycol. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”