Options

general newbie electrical questions...12volt / 10-30-50amp???

Learning a lot about the proper care and feeding of our new T@B.  Thank you all for the support!

* at a 50 amp campsite, can a 50 to 30 amp cord adapter be used safely?

* so, 1500 miles later I figured out why the 12 volt lights/power in the camper were not coming on---thought the battery was dead.... found a small battery cut-off switch (not the fuse) located by the battery in the propane box (discovered that when we got home--a little embarrassing to admit :s )....but to charge the battery when hooked to shore power or towing,  does this switch need to be turned to the "ON" position to recharge the house battery????  Not sure I want to add more stress to my TV alternator.

* and a general electrical question: at home we have 110v outlets (probably 15amp, not 30 amp).  Can I use a 110/15amp to 30amp  adapter connected to my yellow electrical cord when at home to charge the battery and pre-cool the fridge???

Any advice would be appreciated.
Nate & Cheryl

Nate & Cheryl
Seabrook, TX
2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6

Comments

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Nate & Cheryl,
    Yes, you can safely use a 50 to 30 adapter to connect to shore power. 
    I also connect to my home power using a 15 to 30 adapter whenever I'm home.
    I carry a set of adapters with me to allow connection to all standard outlets.
    I also use a surge protector that guards against voltage and wiring problems when away from home.  When I travel, I use a 15 to 30 amp locking connector at my T@B and use a 15 amp extension cord  with adapters instead of the heavy 30 amp cord because it's easier for me.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Learning a lot about the proper care and feeding of our new T@B.  Thank you all for the support!

* at a 50 amp campsite, can a 50 to 30 amp cord adapter be used safely? Yes

* so, 1500 miles later I figured out why the 12 volt lights/power in the camper were not coming on---thought the battery was dead.... found a small battery cut-off switch (not the fuse) located by the battery in the propane box (discovered that when we got home--a little embarrassing to admit :s )....but to charge the battery when hooked to shore power or towing,  does this switch need to be turned to the "ON" position to recharge the house battery????  Not sure I want to add more stress to my TV alternator. Yes

* and a general electrical question: at home we have 110v outlets (probably 15amp, not 30 amp).  Can I use a 110/15amp to 30amp  adapter connected to my yellow electrical cord when at home to charge the battery and pre-cool the fridge??? - Yes

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Nate & Cheryl

See, your instincts were right! (see my answers in bold above.)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    So, your T@B came with a battery cutoff switch? Wonder who installed that, betting the dealer as they install the battery.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nope, no problem taking 30A from a 60A outlet, the outlet supply is rated at 60A max, so adapting down to 30A is fine.

If you're connecting to your house circuits, ideally the circuit/outlet would be rated at 30A, but as you say, most likely they're 15-20A outlets. 

If you connect to a 15 or 20A household outlet using an adapter, what you'd need to be careful of would be high-current-draw items such the Alde at the 110V-high setting, or the AC unit. And use a heavy extension cord that's not too long.

The fridge on 110V, and the converter/battery-charger don't draw too many amps, so should be fine.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    It's important to note that the 30-amp connection we have for RVs is 110 volt, not 220. The 50-amp connections are 220v; the 50-to-30 adapter takes the 110v off of one leg to provide 110V. At campgrounds you shouldn't have to worry about it, but if you're thinking of wiring your own 30-amp service at home, it's kinda critical.  Remember to run a pretty heavy-duty extension cord for your 15 amp service at home, and keep it as short as you can.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    jkjenn said:

* so, 1500 miles later I figured out why the 12 volt lights/power in the camper were not coming on---thought the battery was dead.... found a small battery cut-off switch (not the fuse) located by the battery in the propane box (discovered that when we got home--a little embarrassing to admit :s )....but to charge the battery when hooked to shore power or towing,  does this switch need to be turned to the "ON" position to recharge the house battery????  Not sure I want to add more stress to my TV alternator. Yes

I hadn't really thought about this because I have the cut-off switch ON when connected to shore power because there's no worry about draining the battery.  However, when I have my solar 10A maintainer plugged in, I have the cut-off switch in the OFF position and it still charges.  So, if it has to be turned on when connected to shore power, what's the difference?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The battery cut-off switch isolates the battery from the T@B 12 volt system. If it is off, the converter / battery charger, will not be connected to the battery and cannot charge. When on shore power, ensure the battery disconnect is not open.

If you have solar connected, using the Zamp connector, then the solar is connected to the battery regardless of the cut-off switch (depending upon how it was installed). Normally the Zamp connector is in advance of the 30 amp fuse by the battery.

The converter can charge faster than a typical solar configuration, so it is better to use the converter than solar when connected to shore power.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    mawebb, thanks for that explanation.  I installed the cut-off switch myself over a year ago, but cannot remember the particulars.  Will have to take a look and refresh my memory.  I have a 2013 T@B, before they started installing the Zamp plug.  My Goal Zero is connected through a 12V (cigarette plug) that I also installed on the battery box.  Again, don't remember the particulars.  It all works as planned, so guess I did it right.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    In my mind, the switch is only off when you want to prevent draining the charge source (TV) or draining the T@b.
    RZRBUG said:
    mawebb, thanks for that explanation.  I installed the cut-off switch myself over a year ago, but cannot remember the particulars.  Will have to take a look and refresh my memory.  I have a 2013 T@B, before they started installing the Zamp plug.  My Goal Zero is connected through a 12V (cigarette plug) that I also installed on the battery box.  Again, don't remember the particulars.  It all works as planned, so guess I did it right.
    A cigarette lighter, interesting as the GZ has the Zamp cable.included. Perhaps you got one with regular instead of reversed polarity?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    thanks for the tips everyone.  

MAWEBB, this is confusing (confused is often normal for me) to me however: "The battery cut-off switch isolates the battery from the T@B 12 volt system. If it is off, the converter / battery charger, will not be connected to the battery and cannot charge. When on shore power, ensure the battery disconnect is not open."

If the battery disconnect is NOT open when on shore power, then the converter won't charge the battery, right?  Sorry, the more I learn, the more confused I get.
    :o

I did connect the T@B to shore power yesterday; using a 15A to 30A converter cord, tested polarity first, and turned on the Norcold 3way fridge to see if I can pre-cool it a bit before I travel.  Everything looks good so far.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2015
    When on shore power, ensure the battery disconnect is not open."

If the battery disconnect is NOT open when on shore power, then the converter won't charge the battery, right?  Sorry, the more I learn, the more confused I get. :o

If the battery switch is in the "open" position the converter cannot charge the battery because in effect the 12V circuit is not completed.  If the switch is closed this completes the electrical circuit and allows the electric converter to provide 12 volts to the battery.  So the statement above in bold print is correct and you need to close the battery switch to allow the converter to charge the battery when plugged into shore power.  

The converter DOES however provide 12 volts to all 12 volt accessories in the trailer when the battery switch is open and the battery is isolated from the converter.  So when off shore power close the battery switch and you'll have lights and be able to use all 12 volt accessories.  

Hope that makes things clearer.....  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited July 2015
    What confused me - maybe still does - is open/closed vs on/off so...
    open = off ...  -- || --
    closed = on ...  -- -- --
    correct?
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    PX correct. Open circuit no current can flow therefore it is off.  Closed circuit, current can flow therefore it is on.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    jkjenn said:

A cigarette lighter, interesting as the GZ has the Zamp cable.included. Perhaps you got one with regular instead of reversed polarity?

The GZ maintainer came with a cigarette lighter plug.  I assume that if the polarity on the GZ is reversed, the plug included a built-in adapter that allows its use.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    again, thanks. Now, it makes sense....I should have understood the terminology better regarding open/closed circuits.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Please advise.

Plan to install a 30AMP plug in garage.   What are key cautions?  What the electrician should know?
    Is it the same as the 220v for Dryers?

Thanks.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    Thanks for the info ST_Bob.

I may want to run the AC, Refrig, and watch DVD while taking a nap on a hot summer afternoon.  Will the 10 amp AC adapter connection support this?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,436
    edited March 2016
    Adding to the confusion, there are myriad electrical receptacles that look similar but are not. Some are 120V, some are 240V, some are 120/240V. The configuration will also differ depending on the amperage (15, 20, 30, or 50) the receptacle can handle.

RV receptacles are one of these many types. They are wired for 120V, 30A. They should fit the male end of a typical 30A RV cable.

So, if you do opt for a special 30A outlet for plugging in your RV, make sure your electrician knows exactly what you want installed. Even then, I'd follow Bobbo's advice and test the voltage myself before hooking up your T@B!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks to all for the feedback.  

Will tell electrician as 110v, 30amp and RV receptacles (looks like the 10amp adapter where I plug in my camper power cable.
  • Options
    Thank you very much ST_Bob.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    St_bob, quick question: When someone refers to a 15 amp adapter is it synonymous to a 20 amp adapter? I only ask because all the new breakers in my box are 20 A now after a heavy-up. Old box had 15's. Is this just a nomenclature thing? My AC wiring experience is elementary. I'm better at DC. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,436
    As ST_Bob indicated, 15A and 20A plugs are not the same, but some receptacles are designed to accept either.

With regards to your house wiring, the distinction is much more than a nomenclature issue. 20A breakers must be matched to circuits using wire heavy enough to carry 20A (12g or larger). Smaller wire (like the 14g used in 15A circuits) may overheat and create a fire hazard if you try to draw 20A through them. Properly sized fuses or circuit breakers prevent this.

Ratkity, I'm assuming when you had your "heavy up" it included replacing the circuit wiring, if it wasn't already 12g.

I'm in the opposite boat. I know AC pretty well. My DC experience is elementary, but I'm learning a lot from this board!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thank you so much Bob and Scott!! Wiring was already upgraded in the house before the heavy-up. Outlet plugs are the same and only 15 amp type. Upgraded outlets weren't something I paid to get done when the wiring was done. 

About getting an electrician to install an RV receptacle outside the house (30 A) - one thing I read is that keeping your unit plugged in 24/7 not only increases wear on the converter, but one must check the flooded battery water more often because it can dry out a cell. Not sure exactly HOW much wear on the converter happens (are you just taking a year off its life over a 10 yr period?) or if the amount of diH2O in a flooded battery loses when plugged in all the time is THAT significant. I do agree that one overnight period of plugging in your camper after it's been sitting a bit with no draws isn't quite enough to make the battery top off to 100% (provided not plugged into a float maintainer). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tiger68Tiger68 Member Posts: 2
    When on shore power, ensure the battery disconnect is not open."

If the battery disconnect is NOT open when on shore power, then the converter won't charge the battery, right?  Sorry, the more I learn, the more confused I get. :o

If the battery switch is in the "open" position the converter cannot charge the battery because in effect the 12V circuit is not completed.  If the switch is closed this completes the electrical circuit and allows the electric converter to provide 12 volts to the battery.  So the statement above in bold print is correct and you need to close the battery switch to allow the converter to charge the battery when plugged into shore power.  

The converter DOES however provide 12 volts to all 12 volt accessories in the trailer when the battery switch is open and the battery is isolated from the converter.  So when off shore power close the battery switch and you'll have lights and be able to use all 12 volt accessories.  

Hope that makes things clearer.....  "
    Thanks Michigan Mike. I'm Colorado Mike - but originally I'm "Holly Michigan Mike" and as a neighbor, I respect Linden greatly. My wife and I have a yellow/white 2007 T@B and love it. We took our honeymoon in it, through CO, WY and MT, chasing trout and great western scenery. I'm in the market for a generator to add heat on fall trout trips and elk hunts, but also to add A/C for hot summer Moab days. Does anyone know if the Honda EU 2000i portable generator will power the T@B air conditioning system?  Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Note that the Honda EU2000i is rated at a MAX of 2000 watts (16.7 amps), but its nominal (continuous) rating is less, at 1600 watts and 13.3 amps.

If your air conditioner is rated at or below 1600 watts/13.3 amps, you should be fine. On your air conditioner, there should be a data tag that lists both RLA (run load amps) and LRA (locked rotor amps--the electric draw when it starts up). Those are the numbers you need to know. LRA draw happens only for a few seconds when it starts up, and that's the one to watch out for; IMHO, I'd want it to be below the MAX rate of the generator. And keep in mind that there could be other electrical loads that come into play besides just the A/C -- lights, refrigerator (?), CO monitor, etc.

Also, take a look at the fuel consumption figures for the generator- "up to 8.1 hours on a gallon of gas"! Well, that's for pretty much an idling situation. If your amp draw is close to the max continuous, note that that gallon of fuel will only last for 3.4 hours according to the specs. Fortunately, it appears the generator is very quiet even at its max load of 59 dB.  If you're at a campground, do they allow running of a generator overnight? Some don't.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't like to rely on it unless my A/C was around 9-11 amps RLA or less and LRA was below 16 or so.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Just for the Honda 2000i (ia to) there's a 5 gal extended tank set up you can buy from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SWCUGK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00). That might help with running the AC overnight in areas where it's allowed. I read the reviews on the tank and got it anyway. Found reading the tank instructions and using the teflon tape exactly as described (it was provided with the tank) prevented any leaks anywhere (some reviewers complained of leaks). 

What Irving said was right about what else is running inside the camper, including the converter itself. For example, I was inside the T@B, putzing around as per usual, and the only thing running was the main light. One light switch. Parasitic draws like the Jensen player, TV, CO monitor, and itty bitty LED light in the bath were on. I turned on a 1500W small ceramic heater and flipped the Honda 2000i's overload switch. No frig, no charging iphone/ipad/ipod, no additional lights were on, no fan, TV and Radio were not on (just on stand-by). Unplugging the camper and plugging in the heater directly to the generator, the heater ran all the way to it's 1650W top rating and the generator ran flawlessly. 

There's a bunch of threads about generators that may give you more of an idea of what's out there in the low decibel range and which does well above 4000 ft. elevation. I haven't tested the AC on the generator, but others have. Keep in mind that the 2000i's and equivalents are 20 amp rated, not 30 amp. Some people have even said the 1000i runs the AC, but many worry about the AC compressor failure after stressing it during the times it kicks in. I also don't know their factory installed AC rating. Older Dutchmen T@Bs use a heatpump/AC and that needs a bit more power than you'd expect. 

There are many threads that sorta devolve into generator discussions. I wonder if they are too spread out, or if they can be consolidated into a thread? Mods work hard as heck, and I think that would take a good chunk of time - so I understand if it can't be done for whatever reason. It was just a humble suggestion.
  • Options
    TrailMixTrailMix Member Posts: 5
    Wonderful help!!!    I can't run the.  3-way Norcold refrigerator on anything but electric above 4,500 feet...I guess I need a high altitude kit?  I live and camp most of the time between 8,000 and 10,000 feet.  I thought the generator might solve the refrigerator problem.  Usually don't use the A/C in the summer up here.  What do you think?
  • Options
    TrailMix, what T@B do you have? Many have the high alt kit already installed. You can tell if you have 2 round vent thingies in the front on the door side of the camper for T@B, not sure where those vents are on T@G.
  • Options
    TrailMixTrailMix Member Posts: 5
    2015 TAB, S model.  I can't get it to run the fridge on propane, even perfectly level, at 8,000 feet and above.  I will have to take it back to the dealer in AZ (Tom's Camperland) this spring and have them check it out I guess.  Need new glycol anyway.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    Hmmm. There have been others that had problems at higher altitudes.

It works ok below 8000 feet? I had intermittent problems with the thermocouple connection coming loose at the controller, under the stovetop. It actually got worse at higher altitude, but that might have been coincidence. I finally used a bit of locktite to secure the connection. It has worked good since then, although I haven't had an opportunity to try it at altitude since.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya