Options

Winterizing Battery with Factory Solar

Alt_TabAlt_Tab Member Posts: 12
Are there any special safety precautions or otherwise that need to be addressed when removing the battery for winter especially if the factory solar is installed?

I believe the solar charge from the Victron is active even when the battery disconnect is on.

Should I do anything to the Victron controller?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    For the 320 with a dealer installed lead acid battery:

On the VictronConnect app, open up the SmartSolar device.  Use the gear icon and open up Battery - then find the “Charger enabled” and turn it off.  This disables the charger.

If you have an inverter, turn it off.

Then, if you want to remove the battery, take a picture of your connections at the battery to help you next spring.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,696
    There is no real need to remove the battery, unless it is a security issue.  With the battery switch off, a battery will hold a charge for months.  With your solar, it will not be a problem at all.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    There is no real need to remove the battery, unless it is a security issue.  With the battery switch off, a battery will hold a charge for months.  With your solar, it will not be a problem at all.
    I did consider this option as the solar should act as a trickle charger.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2021
    For a TaB400, removing the battery is not n easy task, and unnecessary., as they are sealed AGM batteries.  Solar panel will keep it charged just fine.  If storing your trailer indoors, turn off the solar charging per Sharon’s suggestion and turn the battery disco switch to off.  Fully charge your battery before putting it in storage, and you will have power come spring…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.