Options

How do you level your T@b side to side?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
When I picked up my T@b I was advised to level the camper using the jack, and never to use the stabilizers to level it. That works fine for front to back leveling, but what about side to side? Would it be OK to adjust the stabilizers just a tab on one side, front and back, to correct for a slight side to side slope on the ground? How do you do it?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Some use the BAL leveller while others drive up onto blocks. I have both the Orange blocks and the BAL. I have used both and am undecided. The BAL is precise but the blocks are easy. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    The stabilizers are way not strong enough to level the camper. There are several different things people use. We got the Andersen levelers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JQV15VzBc
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have a scissors Jack I place under the frame just behind the tire. Not under the axel. Raise till level then lower stabilizers till good and tight. The Jack works for me because it takes up the least amount of space and I already had it.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Lego blocks - Can level T@B left/right or stay hooked up and raise/lower T@B or TV front to back.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

1X6's & 2X6's. Also use my home made wheel chock's made from 4X4's.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    normfun said:
    Some use the BAL leveller while others drive up onto blocks. I have both the Orange blocks and the BAL. I have used both and am undecided. The BAL is precise but the blocks are easy. 
    I use the Bal when disconnected from TV and now have Lego blocks for when I remain connected to the TV.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2015
    You can make leveling blocks too:  Multi-Use Leveling Blocks

Multi-Use Leveling Blocks
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited July 2015
    I use a BAL leveller. (Be sure and keep the threads clean and well lubricated.)  Here is a short youtube video.  However, instead of the small bubble level shown, I use a 24" level like this one (held against the side of the T@B as I use the leveller).

Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Love the BAL, much easier then the blocks, and more precise.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cyclonic said:
    Unless you forget it and leave it at home......Lego blocks to the rescue!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Cyclonic said:
    I store my BAL in the propane locker on the tongue.  It fits perfectly against the front of the locker.  To avoid any rubbing on the inside I used a couple of short pieces of foam pipe insulation on the frame.  I also use a bungee cord to stop it from rattling.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mercator said:
    Verna said:
    Cyclonic said:
    I store my BAL in the propane locker on the tongue.  It fits perfectly against the front of the locker.  To avoid any rubbing on the inside I used a couple of short pieces of foam pipe insulation on the frame.  I also use a bungee cord to stop it from rattling.
    @MercatorI would love to see a picture of that if you get the chance.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Me, too, Ray. I had it with me for 3 months last winter and didn't use it, but I wanted it for this trip. Somehow I must have put it in the stack of "I'm not sure I want to keep this". It's on my list to get when I go home for a while tomorrow. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Put my BAL leveler in a 25" pizza bag, with other exterior items, a few Lego leveling blocks, door mat, jack stand support and wheel chocks.  Store it in the TV, where everything stays clean because of being in the pizza bag.  Also, can all be lifted out at the same time, with the straps on the pizza bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    :
    Mercator said:
    Verna said:
    Cyclonic said:
    @MercatorI would love to see a picture of that if you get the chance.

The BAL leveller is to the left. I have changed the propane to a composite tank and as the GEL battery is moved inside I have a spare fuel can in the battery box. The open ends of the BAL sit directly on the bottom reinforced rim of the locker.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    I was considering one of those BAL levelers, but read some threads that some times  they rub on the tire when trying to place them. Yes/No? Also how high can you raise the tire off the ground?
  • Options
    I was considering one of those BAL levelers, but read some threads that some times  they rub on the tire when trying to place them. Yes/No? Also how high can you raise the tire off the ground?
    It is a close fit for the sides of the BAL leveller to fit around the T@B tires, but they do.  They have the added advantage of acting as a chock so the trailer won't move forward or back when the leveller is in place.  I am not sure the total lift available, but we have never run out of adjustment room on the jack screw - probably 6" is the most we have had to level at a campsite.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Mercator. I will continue to consider it, but not ready to give up my 2X6's just yet.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I agree with Mercator.  My experience is about the same.  the BAL is fairly heavy and takes space, but is more than worth it to me.  I really appreciate the front and back chock of the BAL (but that's another embarrasing story).  One of my better investments.

Gil
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    Another advantage of the BAL leveller is that we can move the T@B into the ideal position on the site by hand after unhitching it from the TV and then use the BAL to level it in place.  With legos or 2x6 blocks you probably need to use TV to move the trailer onto the blocks as it would be too hard to do by hand.  On some campsites we have swung the trailer 180° before levelling.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Love the Bal for all the reasons above plus it rides in the back of the truck in front of my Coleman roadtrip grill and keeps it from rolling around
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Love the idea of tha BAL but it depends a lot on where you're camping - on nice hard surface campsite where you can move the T@B by hand to position is one thing, gravel/dirt another. Also if you're unhooking or staying hooked.
    I use the Lego blocks exclusively as they're more versatile - cover me no matter what needs lifting, T@B or TV. Half the time I'm not unhooking and half of those times I need to raise the back of the TV so have blocks under one side of the T@B and blocks under the rear wheels of the TV.
    I also carry a 1/2" plastic pad for fine adjustments.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I do not get your statement on dirt or gravel, as I have used the BAL on all surfaces.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Me too, never had any trouble on any surface with the BAL, including sand. :confused:

I don't always unhitch, but it takes just minutes so typically I do as I feel more comfortable that way.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Dirt/gravel = rolling T@B around by hand to position, not if the BAL works on the stuff.
  • Options
    Mercator said:

The BAL leveller is to the left. I have changed the propane to a composite tank and as the GEL battery is moved inside I have a spare fuel can in the battery box. The open ends of the BAL sit directly on the bottom reinforced rim of the locker.
    Thank you! I am going to try this for sure! How is the pipe foam secured to the box? I have some from other projects.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Mercator said:

Thank you! I am going to try this for sure! How is the pipe foam secured to the box? I have some from other projects.
    The slit in the pipe foam is just slipped onto the edges of flat plates that lift the tire, not fastened on, just friction holds them in place. I hope it fits with a regular sized 20# propane tank. 

I've traveled several thousand miles with it in the propane locker without any problems. 

When I use the bungee cord I always wrap it once around the threaded piece so that vibration, while driving, doesn't allow it to unscrew. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Thanks, Mercator. Going to give it a test sometime this week...whenever it is not raining or 1,000 degrees out. :)

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Another vote for the BAL leveler. Love it!!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Mercator said:
    I hope it fits with a regular sized 20# propane tank. 

it will fit. I will just need to remove the PVC pipe added by the factory.