Options

Just a Question - - - non-NuCamp ALDE system options in U.S.A.

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
* - * Could not find a general topics area so have posted here. * - *

My extended adventures of 3+ weeks include boondocking locations so I can do some not-Extreme dirt road 4x4'ing with my Tow Vehicle.

From time-2-time I think about having a Class-C or C+ that could tow a more capable and less critical 4x4 vehicle.  After all, if I foul-up my TV while off-roading, the trip home will be difficult.

Now I'm nowhere near ready to part with the T@B - - - - - am just interested in possible future options.

I'm having a very difficult time finding non-Trailer RV with the ALDE System or a similar quiet combined heat/HW unit. And for now I am not ready to exchange the T@B Alde for one of those forced air furnaces that wake me up at RV Parks because they are so loud - - - and I'm only hearing the exhaust.

To complicate the issue; I like the smaller length rigs better . . . I've got no need for a 26+ foot rig with multiple slide-outs.  Which puts me 100% opposite of what the RV Manufacturers believe the market wants.

I've found two or so trailers and one Class-C with Alde similar systems.

Has Anyone Else Been Searching . . . any encouraging finds ?
P.S.
Have thought about a Slide-in Camper (NüCamp makes those).  Have not done sharp pencil math on costs of a new Full-Size heavy duty Truck + (new) Slide-in + new 4x4 vehicle.  Gut says that would be way too expensive . . . There is also the unknown of final towing capacity and ease of towing since (I believe) nearly all the slide-in campers would require extending the towing hitch point beyond the truck with tailgate down.  Which of course changes the tow rating & TV driver 'comfort level' while towing
- - - expect camper designers think everyone will only tow a small/light/low wind
        profile fishing boat
. - - -

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I’ve seen a few class B vans (up to 24-25’) with the Truma Combi installed, and I’d assume there have to be class Cs with that model as well. I believe it’s similar in operation to the Alde.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2021
    While the Truma Combi is a nice combination heater and hot water unit, but it is still a forced air furnace.  The Alde system is used on higher end motor coaches in Europe and UK, I have not found any production models here in North America that have the Alde.  That said, you can have one built with a Alde system spec’d, from several Motorhome builders.  The Alde is not as popular here as it is in UK and Europe.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @MuttonChops, research Airstream coaches, a Class B. They do use Alde’s in some of their travel trailers, so it might be worth your time to download a brochure to see if the Class B’s use Alde’s. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Good thought Verna, I just checked, and Airstream is only currently making and selling Class B and Class B+ Coaches based on a Mercedes van platform, no choice on heating systems, see: https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/.
    That said, at $200K and up, Airstream might do a do a custom Alde install, worth asking them…
    cheers
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Road Trek van RV's did have the Alde, not sure about currently.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    IIRC, RoadTrek was the first adopter of the Alde in the U.S., followed closely by Pleasant Valley Trailers (now nuCamp) and Airstream. Somewhere around here I think there's a link to an industry press release with this info.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Good thought Scott, however today’s Roadtrek RV is not the same company thst introduced Alde to the North A,Eric an market,  Thenoriginal company closed in 2019, and the brand name was sold and is being made by a different company.  

The biggest issue in finding a Alde system in a Class B is many Class B manufacturers are moving away from propane systems, which the Alde requires.  Advanced RV which build semi-custom motor homes, is not using propane anymore in their builds.  I think the only option is going to be some type of custom build or modify an existing Class B that still has a propane system on board.
    cheers