Options

2021/2022 T@b 400 Tongue Weight vs 2019

Hi, when I picked up my 2019 T@b 400 at the dealership in 2019, I had them weigh the tongue because I was concerned about the weight.  Nucamp was advertising I think 370 or 390 at that time.  The weight was 460!!!  So I (and my dealer) called Nucamp and they were obviously unaware the tongue weight had crept up so far beyond the advertised weight.  Fast forward to the 2021 (maybe 2020)  model and they moved the wheels forward on the frame and now they advertise 318! It really seems like the intense discussions I had with them over the excess tongue weight forced the redesign of the trailer! 

Anyway,  to my actual question, I'm about to order a 2022 because I'm tired of having to deal with the weight distribution hitch. I'm wondering if anyone knows if that 318 weight includes the weight of the spare tire underneath the tongue? 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
     Weight is based on 2-way fridge (Standard 400). Dry weight is the weight of the camper with standard equipment, excluding; propane, tank fluids, cargo, and optional equipment.” Per the spec page on the website.  The spare is standard equipment.  You can email Help@nucamprv.com to confirm.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    edited October 2021
    I weighed my 2019 400 in July  before our summer trip. I used the beam/ bathroom scale method. The weight came in at about 400 lbs. This included a full propane tank and tools and gear in the aft locker. The fresh water tank was about 1/3 full; grey and black tanks were empty. No food, bedding or personal stuff was aboard. When it is, most is stored over or aft of the axle.
    The gross empty weight was advertised around 2700 lb and tongue wt at 405 with LP and battery. So with storing tools and gear in the aft locker probably means it exceeded the advertised tongue wt. The current tongue wt has not proven to be a problem for my TV - a Subaru ascent. I wonder what the overall wt actually is. Has anyone weighed their 400 ?
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
      2021 Tab400 (not boondock),  full fresh water tank, some liquid in grey and black, full load of our usual supplies = 350 pounds tongue weight with level trailer. At the same time the Cat Scales weighed Tab at 3,480 pounds.  Used Sherline trailer tongue scale, 0-1000 scale.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    I weighed our 2019 this summer with 2/3 water tank, empty grey and black tanks, full propane, and some camping gear (awnings) on the rear bed.  Ours has the 2-way fridge.

Tongue weight - 420 lbs
    Gross trailer weight - 3280 lbs

@TabbyShack, What are you trying to resolve with the lower tongue weight of the 2022?  Are you using the WDH to mitigate excessive rear sag?  If so, do you think going down ~25% in tongue weight will mitigate that sufficiently to not need the WDH?

I just ordered a WDH since my manual says I need sway control for my Highlander.  Otherwise I would just go without it, though I do need to adjust the headlights down a bit if I'm driving at night.  Not having to do that will be nice.  Realize that may be a risk for you if you don't use a WDH, depending on your vehicle.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited October 2021
    Just 1/4" sag in rear with the weight distro hitch.  I'm hoping the 2022 is light enough in the tongue that my tow vehicle won't squat much more than maybe 1/2-3/4" without the WDH.  I wouldn't feel safe it it sags any more than that.   That's why I was asking about the tire weight. I also use a 10gal propane tank so that will help a little bit. I'm just trying to take some of the weight off the rear axle of my tow vehicle without the WDH because I'm tired of all that has to be done to hook it up/unhook it. I'm very fast at it, but just over it at this point in life. I'm trying to find ways to lessen the hookup/unhook burden.   If you are having to adjust your headlights, then you are definitely in need of a weight distribution hitch.  There should be no more than an inch change (less than 1/4" is ideal)  in your wheel well heights after hooking up the camper.  Also, you don't have to have a WHD to use a sway bar. I have a separate sway bar that I use.

With some very minor adjustments/mods, I got the tongue weight down to 395 on my 2019, but still heave enough to need the WDH.  The 2022 might still be a bit too heavy to not use the WDH, but I'm going to give it a try.  I plan to go to a dealership before I place the order to see how my tow vehicle does...if I can get it arranged. I don't have a dealership close to me.
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    I think we over think some of the problems expressed on this forum. No disrespect, please.
    I towed a boat, total load of 6000 lb with an Isuzu Trooper for years with some runs to Florida and back from Ontario. A very solid, level, and secure tow - never any problem ( save a flat tire). When towing I stay in the right lane and let traffic move away from me. I rarely pass, but on occasion it is necessary. Over the years I have towed perhaps 70 to 80 k miles . Simply an abundance of caution prevails. I’ve read posts of some towing regularly at 75 mph - this is simply unsafe. If you are unsure of the your towing geometry, drive a bit slower. 
    There is an RV dealer in London Ontario that advertise expertise in setting up your TV to tow a larger than expected trailer - Canamrv.ca I think. They are presently hooking up Teslas to 30+ foot Airstreams and successfully
    However, with our small and lightweight rigs there are fewer technical problems to overcome.
    To reduce rear end deflection of the TV, Sumo inserts reportedly help reduce tongue wt deflection - they cost about $150 a pair and are easily installed.
    I am rambling so, thanks for reading. Ciao.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Paul the Air Force Guy on YT weighed a 2021 BD (I think) and it came in at 373lbs with a full LP tank I believe. I think somebody here mentioned that a full fresh water tank lightened the tongue quite a bit too. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Thanks RCB. I will check into the Sumos!   I like that idea alot.   Yes any weight added to the back helps in the tongue weight but obviously you have to kind of do the math to make sure you don't get too much weight in the back to cause fish tailing etc.  I will check out that video too thanks. 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    We bought a tongue weight scale for our 2021 Tab 400 and it weighed in at 320lb dry and 280lb with a tank of water. Here's the thread with details:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13564/2021-tab-400-tongue-weight-update#latest
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited October 2021
    Awesome thanks Tom. I love having a tongue scale. I bought one to take to pick up my 2019 400 because the dealer didn't have one! It was 430 or 460 can't recall now..... and Nucamp was advertising 390.  I have 12" of  mattress in the back that I will be moving into the 2022. That should counter the weight a bit too. I'd rather not travel with water in my tank though but good to mention it.  I will check that thread now. Thanks!!
  • Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
      Weight of 22 gallons of water in the fresh water tank is 183 pounds.   I would rather have my home water rather than something unknown on the road.  Most of us would not be concerned with taking an extra 183 pound person in our vehicle.
  • Options
    BlueYonderBlueYonder Member Posts: 19
    Weighed our 2021 400BD on Cat Scales on first outing a year ago. 3440 total weight, 360 tongue weight. Loaded for five night trip.  Full propane, chocks, leveler, sewer/water hoses, misc. small stuff in the tongue box, 1/3 fresh water. Have added about 25 lbs. with 2 additional tongue boxes since, but just redistributed the stuff from the center box.