Options

Black Tank Flush Without Pressure Regulator

Just curious what people’s opinions are on using a regulator on your black tank flush? When I used one I felt like I was getting very little clean out pressure so I’ve mainly NOT been using one. On our last trip I used a gas station dump and their pressure seemed extremely high when doing the black tank flush. While it isn’t static pressure in the line I can imagine there are pressure limits, right?
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I can’t definitively answer your question but would guess that whatever pressure is at the water source is the pressure that is cascading in through the clean-out spray nozzles.  And inasmuch as this is a handy and additional black tank clean-out accessory we have our own preventative routine we incorporate into the black tank after we’ve dumped the tank (e.g. added fish soap, some Downy, water and Happy Camper black tank powder.  So far no problems and this helps when there is no hose to attach to the clean-out fitting as some facilities do not have them available.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2021
    For 2021 TAB 400 .... I use the small blue regulator that came with the camper for the black flush and a fancier one with a gauge for the water supply. The spray in the black tank sounds pretty good. The main pressure drop is across the black tank flush nozzles (I hope) to get a good spray and a leak behind the Nautilus is a pain to get to in normal life - so I would say to use a regulator. The blue pex line should be fine (left hand side of photo and up over the top), the grey Nautilus fitting I don't know (the one many of us found to be loose). Getting to understand all the plumbing a lot better now.  

2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    Any time I use city water, whether at my house or on the road, I always use a pressure regulator.  I don't want to have the potential for too much pressure and have a leak somewhere.  As far as the black tank flush, we have a 2021 400 and using our pressure regulator the nozzles sound like they are suppling good water spray in the tank. But this is just from my own opinion of how it sounds.  So far we have not had any ill smells from the tank and the water ends up coming out very clear so I assume it is working just fine. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we use a regulator on the city inlet but I've only used a regulator a handful of times on the black tank flush. Every time I use it I feel like hardly any water is really coming out of the stinky slinky. When I don't use one I can audibly tell there's more force coming out of the flush nozzle and much more water seems to come out. 

The effect of putting a 40-50psi regulator on a water line is dramatic. I've hooked one up to my house line and let it run...very, very low pressure compared to the roughly 60-70psi normally coming from that line. 

I wonder how much those nozzles actually do. Time to put a camera in that tank  B)
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2021
    You need a pressure regulator for the trailer water system, as it is a closed pressurized system, thst is under the pressure coming from the water source, pump,or duty water.  
    The Black Tank Flush is an open system, no valves and is not under the full pressure of the source, as the water goes in one side and comes out the flush nozzle.  So a pressure regulator on the Balck Tank Flush is redundant, and will reduce the spray pressure inside the black tank.  
    It does not hurt to use a pressure regulator on the black tank flush, if you feed more comfortable using one, or if you have a very high pressure city water source.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Apparently even street pressure isn’t enough to completely flush out our black tank as I can peer into the toilet and see some toilet paper still in the tank. On a positive note it doesn’t stink with the toilet blade wide open. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @manyman297 - it’s time for some Calgon in the black tank.  Makes the slides slippery.  Also, make sure to fill the black tank up to at least 3/4 before dumping - even if it’s just water.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Ahhh, great idea @Sharon_is_SAM. I think I’ll also invest in a wand to stick down the drain instead of solely relying on the black tank flush. More of a pain but now I have to figure out how to get that TP out of the black tank now that I’m in the middle of winterizing.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Get some happy camper, and add it to the tank with a hollow ir two of warm water, let it set several days, and the TP should break down and flush out.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.