Options

Rainier Apex ST235/75R15 Trailer Tires Supplier

For anyone with the factory Boondock tires looking to replace with the same tire, I have located the official source:

Rainier Apex ST235/75R15 LRC Off-Road Radial Trailer Tire | Trailer. Set. Go! (trailersetgo.com)

Currently $194 each including UPS to you in USA. In addition you would need to have a local shop install them.

At least this is an official dealer and a source if you want to use the Boondock OEM tire.
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Nice find, @N7SHG_Ham.  How did you locate the seller?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Bayliss I emailed Tredit who makes/wholesales the tires. They forwarded my info to the place I linked, which I understand is a sister company and the official sales arm to the public. This may be the only official outlet to end users, unclear about that. The good thing is they seem to be an official outlet and shipping to you is included for the price quoted. Not as convenient as going to a local tire outlet, but I suspect just a few days to get tires anyplace in USA.

I have personally been happy with the Boondock tires and while there have been a few failures reported, overall they seem decent quality and I thought they had a six year warranty, but it might be four year, either way better than most tires.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Another option to keep the "off road tread" and are rated highly are as follows.

Falken Wildpeak 

235/75R/15

Load Index 116 = 116 2756 Lbs.

Load Range = E1

Since previously there wasn't an option to buy replacement Rainier (I never spent much time searching but others did), I started to look at other tires commonly available. Currently these are $154.00 each at Discount Tire. https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w

I am pleased with the Rainier as far as tread wear etc. So who knows what I will use when the time comes. I know some have put standard Goodyear trailer tires on in place of the Rainier and are happier with how the camper tracks (less wandering).

Brad

2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    @Dutch061 the Fallen tire doesn't appear to me to be a ST tire? There are a few AT tires in the OEM size, Michelin Defender is another.

From what I have found the Rainier Apex is the only ST tire in the original size and about the only "off-road" tire in any size for trailers. The GY Endurance is a slightly smaller tire in a highway tread.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    I've put about 20K miles on the Apex tires that came with my 2021 400 Boondock and they have performed great and still look perfect. I'd happily replace them with the same when the time comes. I've put tire pressure monitors on them, and they run cool too.
    I wonder if we could buy these from nuCamp directly as well?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    The specifications I took from the sidewall on my Rainier's are as follows.

235/75R/15

Load Index - 2340 Lbs

Load Range = G

So, nearly as I can tell the Faulken Wildpeak has around an additional 16% Load Index (2756 VS 2340). With that being  said, are they "ST Tires", no but they exceed the ratings of the OEM so I wouldn't be afraid to use them.

As @ChrisFix said, the Rainier's are wearing well. Mine have around 12K on them and are wearing well. Since I am a long way from needing tires, who knows what I will do when the time comes.

I am very fond of Discount Tire, they sell tires and nothing else. Plus free rotation and repair, even if they didn't sell you the tires. I have bought several sets from them, appreciate the fact they don't try to sell you everything under the sun like other tire stores.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks for the response @N7SHG_Ham.  I have had a similar experience as that described by you and @ChrisFix.  The only issue I have encountered (which has nothing to do with the tires) is that I replaced the stock valves with high pressure valves, but those failed (slow leak in both tires and the spare, so maybe just not good valves to start with.)  Those were intalled by Big O Tires.  I replaced them with steel valves purchased at Les Schwab in California - - my preferred tire dealer, but they do not yet have any shops in Arizona.  I have not encountered any air leaks since I made that change.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2021
    Good point Bayliss on the tire vale’s causing small air leaks.
    The Wildpeak tire’s are good off road, especially when aired down 25-30%, they track nicely and are used on a lot of Jeeps and off road trailers.  

Edit:  That said, they are not a good road trailer tire, as they are ST (small truck) tires and do not have a the same sidewall support as a trailer tire like the OEM Rainier tires that come with the TaB.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Please folks, stop recommending non trailer(ST)for trailers unless trailer specifies this.  Trailer tires are designed different for trailer use.  
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    GatorEgg said:
    Please folks, stop recommending non trailer(ST)for trailers unless trailer specifies this.  Trailer tires are designed different for trailer use.  

In general ST tires have stiffer sidewalks and a flatter thread area.
    For many years ST tires in the T@B 235/75R15 size were not available or limited to 'highway' thread pattern.  NüCamp and it's suppliers factory installed non-ST tires.  A typical tire being the Milestar Patagonia A/T 235/75R15 XL.  XL tires have reinforced shoulders which is similar to the ST construction while providing the 'off-road' look.

Considering how lightly loaded our tires are by a T@B compared to the tire maximum ratings I support the NüCamp choice to using XL tires.

All that said;  now that a retail source has been identified for the Rainier ST 235/75R15 with an 'off-road' look . . . . I'll use the Rainier to replace my Milestar when the time comes.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    I was at Discount Tire today getting new winter tires on my car and asked if they installed 3rd party tires. That is a yes, at least at my local store, so that will be who I use if/when I have these delivered by UPS.