Options

Black dripping Porch light gasket?

I've had my T@B 320 for a year and from the first time it was in a good rain, a black stain would drip from the gasket around the yellow porch light next to the front door.  Every time it gets wet the black oozes down the side panel.  I finally decided to take off the light to see what was causing the black staining and I found the entire rubber gasket under the light fixture had carbonized into a powdered surface.  My fingers were black just getting off the light lens.  I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.  If so how did you resolve the problem?  I have not contacted nuCamp about the problem since I can wipe off the dripping smear after it dries.  It's just annoying.  I love the camper.
2022 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock
2021 Subaru Ascent

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I would replace the gasket, it is going to fail and allow water unto the light fixture.  I would contact nüCamp and let them know, you might get a free gasket and/or light fixture.
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @MikeWright01 - this may be a warranty claim.  Contact your dealer.  nuCamp can probably send you the gasket for DIY repair.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MikeWright01MikeWright01 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice.  I will call the dealer and nuCamp.
    2022 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock
    2021 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    Thanks for the advice.  I will call the dealer and nuCamp.
    I have notices the same problem when washing the trailer...following to see what your outcome is....cheers

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 138
    Same problem here... contacted NuCamp and they told me to caulk around the light!

Brent
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    subdudelysubdudely Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem after 1 year. This is hard to remove and staining my wall panels. Not interested in adding ugly caulk. New caulk would need to compatible with existing gasket and would likely fail. These gaskets are defective and will allow for water penetration into walls, thus leading to mold.  Nu.camp should make new, better gaskets available for free replacement to all recently purchased campers.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    Mine is starting to deteriorate as well. It's not staining anything (yet). But I need to find a replacement gasket. I'm surprised how quickly it deteriorated as that side of our camper is pretty much in the shade. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    I would refer NuCamp to their own youtube video about how to check the seals and re-caulk their trailers.  Their own video says you should not need to worry about caulking areas that have an actual gasket.  Being a 2022 that you have I would be surprised if the gasket has degraded yet to the point of leaking but you never know. Ours is still looking good after 3.5 years but they may have changed gaskets and/or it may also be the climate you are in.   I would inspect it carefully and if it is leaving bad steaks and looks to be allowing water in take photos and contact NuCamp Warranty.  Tell them you would like a replacement gasket and per their video suggestions do not want to caulk this area.  The one time I worked with NuCamp warranty for a part they were very easy to work with and sent me the parts no questions asked.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    I had the same issue.  I use 

303 Aerospace Protectant

on it to keep it from degrading
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 54
    Anyone having an issue with the rubber/vinyl gasket deteriorating and sending black streaks down the sides of the trailer?  Our 320S Boondock is only 2 years old.

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    Yeah, ours is doing the same thing. Less streaking but definitely cracking. They sell a bunch of different types of these lights but in varying sizes. I feel like finding a new seal maybe more difficult than just buying a whole new replacement light. The challenge is finding the exact same size so you aren’t drilling new holes to mount it. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    Looks like I'll want to treat our gasket with 303 protectant to stave off rot.
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Same on my 2021. I just keep wiping around it. Not a good choice. Will start looking for a different outside light to replace it.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited October 2023
    Another "same on mine" with a 2021 T@B 400. In my case, all the LED bulbs in the porch light burned out as well, so I just replaced the whole light with the same unit.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Thanks for attaching to prior thread.  I will contact NüCamp for recommendations.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    Same problem on mine. Thinking about getting some gasket material and cutting one to fit.
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    NüCamp referred me to the dealer for parts.  They do not provide parts directly to customers.  Not sure I want to replace a part with a seal that went bad in less than 2 years.  Agree with cyoung - will investigate fashioning my own seal.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It is a lousy product to have the gasket deteriorate so easily and cause such a mess on the trailer. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the light. Would like to see it the manufacturer has a better rubber gasket or if I could find a replacement that lines up with the current one.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    There are gasket companies out there that will laser cut new gaskets from a template. They'd probably be knowledgeable about materials too. It needs something with UV protection and resistance to temp swings. Maybe a silicone or fluorosilicone gasket. Mine is starting to do the same thing, and I keep my trailer covered when not in use.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2023
    I also have the same issue. It's surely a low-quality gasket that deteriorates quickly due to UV rays and/or contact with low pH water (aka rain, these days). My camper is covered during the off season, which has no impact on the streaking. I too would be interested in seeing if there is a higher quality replacement out there, perhaps as @cottonmouth suggests, silicone or butyl.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Maybe we can get a group order coordinated?
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    @ChrisFix Where did you find a replacement? My concern is finding a new gasket or entirely new light that has holes in a different position. I’d want to try and avoid drilling new holes.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    @manyman297
    I ordered it from nuCamp via Princess Craft. It was an exact replacement.
    They ask for your model/year info, but also a photo to make sure it's the same part.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    ChrisFix but with the new light, did you end up with the same problem with the gasket. Any brand name on the light or box it came in?
    @manyman297
    I ordered it from nuCamp via Princess Craft. It was an exact replacement.
    They ask for your model/year info, but also a photo to make sure it's the same part.

• Options
    @Rodent77 Do you recall how much they charged?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @Rodent77 Do you recall how much they charged?
    Sorry manyman297 I was asking the question to ChrisFix, I'm having the problem with that crappy gasket.

• Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    I've thought about purchasing a sheet of white silicone rubber sheet and cutting my own gasket. I've decided before going that route, I'm going to clean around the current gasket (perhaps with DNA?) and then apply some Capt. Tolley's Creaking Crack cure to coat the gasket edge. Anyone try something like that? It wouldn't be near as messy as caulk.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    @Rodent77 @manyman297
    I bought the replacement almost exactly 1 year ago. It's not dripping black down the side currently, but I'm sure if I wiped it with a rag, the rag would be black. Like I said, it's an exact replacement, so I don't expect it to perform any differently.
    Here is the info from the invoice:
    66-00-4090     WHITER PORCH LIGHT AMBER LENS        1.00       34.56

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 934
    edited October 2023
    I cleaned the gasket off as best I could although it still would leave a black streak on the rag no matter how much I wiped.   Then I covered it with a couple of coats of clear Polycrylic.  I'll see if that holds up next season....