Options

Old camper new T@B

AmyJoAmyJo Member Posts: 24
To introduce myself before I begin seeking help.  As a kid I camped in a tent every summer in Michigan.  When I was first married my husband and I camped in a van.  That got too cramped and we moved to a Chinook.  He died and I sold the Chinook.  I then went back to a tent and camped across the nation, when I experienced ice on the tent I moved up to a Little Guy Teardrop and then finally back to a Chinook.  I drove with a friend to Alaska in the Chinook and then sold it.  Now I am 82 and have bought a 2018  T@B.  I know the basic systems but can't manage backing up with the T@B.  I do a miserable job.  I keep wondering if I am too old to learn how to back up or even be camping.  I love being outside and meeting other campers.  I have managed to get electric brakes installed on my car and am ready to do my first camping trip with my male friend and two Chihuahuas.  I keep wondering if I am crazy?  Thanksgiving I have reserved a site at a Georgia campground to camp with my brother who has an A-Liner.  Starting a new adventure at 82?  What do you think?  Would you help me back this T@B into a campsite?  
Sliver and white 2018 T@B 320S bought 10-21 in Sarasota, FL.  

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    If I were there, I'd help you backup your T@B in a heartbeat!
    Have you tried the backing trick of holding the steering wheel with your dominant hand at the very bottom ("6 o'clock position") and then turning the steering wheel to your left (clockwise) to turn the rear of the trailer to your left, and turning the steering wheel to your right (counter clockwise) to turn the rear of the trailer to your right?
    Removes a lot of the confusion people have as to which way to turn the steering wheel to get the desired result from the trailer.
    I heartily support your desire and effort to keep camping...and can only say that I'd just try it and see what works and what doesn't. Most of the time, we find we can live with what works!!

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    These little trailers can be difficult to back up.  Just remember, make small changes when you move the wheel and go slowly.  The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    I still can’t back up my Tab to save my life!! Just finished in August a solo trip from Boston to Florida, to California, and diagonally back. Fortunately there were a lot of very nice campers that helped out. 
    2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    A friend of mine is a travel nurse who has driven solo all over the West and never once backed up her trailer. She gets someone else to help, every time.

Another option is to get a backup camera on the trailer. That won’t fix the situation entirely, but it definitely makes it easier.

Third choice: look for pull thru sites when making reservations.

My alternative: I had the Purpleline Enduro trailer mover installed so I don’t have to back up either. I unhitch, then remote control the trailer into the campsite. The mover also makes hitching and unhitching significantly easier, which is important as I am disabled. That said, I intend to practice backing up more this coming year. I want to be able to do it, and really it’s just all about practicing until it becomes almost automatic.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    For me, the best piece of advice I received while backing was to steer toward trouble. When backing if the trailer is trending to far right turn the steering wheel right, if the trailer is trending  left turn the steering wheel left. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Welcome @AmyJo, @ChrisFix has the idea I use which I learned from a trucker friend.  Hold the steering wheel at the bottom and turn the wheel to the side you want the trailer to go toward.  Start slow and you'll get the feel for it.
    You sound like a very young 82 and you're never too old to take on a new adventure!  I think there are a lot of us a bit long in the tooth out there in our T@b's!   Happy Trails!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    82 is a fine age to start an adventure.

Changing from backing boats to the T@B, I've found the more problematic piece is seeing what your doing. I like to know where the wheels are but you can only see the side of the trailer on the inside of the turn. I try to set up so it's one arc into the spot. Then, you can see. Have fun.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    After 5 years, I still am poor at backing up.  I've given myself this best advice on how to back up: 
    I've stopped caring about how I back up. 
    Unless I'm blocking traffic.....I don't care.  I'll get there sooner or later.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    I got my "new to me" 2014 T@B almost a year ago. First trailer ever! I was terrified of backing up. I used the hands under the steering wheel trick and I also had my RV dealer install a wireless back up camera attached to the license plate light. It's one of the best mods I've done and not very expensive. I would not say that I am pro, but backing up is much less stressful now and sometimes I still ask someone at the campsite to help me and they have never said "no"!
    Funny story: one of the last people I asked for help was wearing a "kangaroo suit". I asked him if kangaroos help people back up trailers, and he said, yes they do!
    Another trick, not mentioned above is to use your side mirrors as follows:
    1. If the site allows, keep the trailer as straight as you can while backing up. The backup camera helps to get the trailer lined up at the opening of the site.
    2. While you are stopped, check the side mirrors. The rule is "steer towards the side you want to see". So if you can see a bit of the trailer in the passenger side mirror, but none of the trailer in the driver side mirror, with your foot on the brake, and your hands _under_ the steering wheel, steer a little bit to the driver's side mirror, then move the trailer: a little bit.
    3. Micro correcting this way is much easier than if you get the trailer at too much of an angle and not aligned with the tow vehicle. I compare backing up my T@B to putting on a nylon stocking - you shimmy your way in!
    4. If you get crooked, pull forward, and straighten out, then try again.
    Once you get it, you'll be on your way!
    And congratulations on your 2018 T@B!!!
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    KC_CampsKC_Camps Member Posts: 6
    So much great advice here! Think this, “Slow is Pro”. Turn some, straighten out, turn some straighten out. Watch the trailer wheel, take your time. Micro moves will make sure you get it right. If someone is helping, have them POINT in the direction you should turn your rig. Yelling or weird wheel turning gestures are just stressful. Good luck!
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Just search for "how to back up a travel trailer" on YouTube.  The video below helped me.  They talk about "The Scoop": 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzlOfBGr1i4
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I often have guys rush over to help the poor lady back up her T@b 400 assuming I'm going to have trouble haha! Chilvary is not dead!  They seem a little disappointed when I get it backed in before they even make it over to me.  Somehow one day something just clicked in my brain and now I'm really good at backing it up. Now when I go to back up without the camper, I sometimes back in the wrong direction! My brain automatically clicks to steer the opposite direction as though I was backing my camper!  I'm on my 7th year with a T@b and I think it took me about 25 trips until I mastered it.  

Amy Jo, if we ever cross paths I would be honored to back it in for you!