Options

Anyone put their Tab on Outdoorsy?

Curious how it worked out? My biggest concern is that the systems in a Tab (Alde and Nautilus particularly) are so quirky compared to many RVs that it will be a big pain to “teach” all the renters how to use it?

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Renters would be a big concern in so many ways that I could not see any cost benefit there unless I was able to do all the maintenance myself. Renters don't know what they don't know and will break stuff, in my opinion.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I second that opinion @qhumberd!  I've put too much heart and sole into my T@b to hand it over to someone who has little to no understanding of what they are playing with.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Ever hear the expression "worked like a rented mule?"  In my experience with renting things from the equipment rental houses it seems even fairly new equipment is wore out.  People don't take much care for their own stuff now days, much less someones else's stuff.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Absolutely not for several things already mentioned. No offense, but if owning an RV requires rental it to make the budget work don't buy it.

When I was younger like most everyone else, instead of living for today and saving money I bought on time and had "many masters". After all, it's only $xxx.xx per month and we can afford that. In the current state of affairs, I am very grateful and blessed to not have any payments and only 1 master, to Him be the glory.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I’ve dealt owned/managed with rental sailboats, pwc and houses.  As long as you treat it as a business and not a personal valuable item you are good.  If you value it as a cute, valuable, emotional possession, you’ll get hurt.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    @Dutch061 said-
    “When I was younger like most everyone else, instead of living for today and saving money I bought on time and had "many masters". After all, it's only $xxx.xx per month and we can afford that. In the current state of affairs, I am very grateful and blessed to not have any payments and only 1 master, to Him be the glory.”
    Amen to that! There is such a joy in having all debts paid! 

As to renting out the camper- We would never do it. For two years we had to rent a home before our house sold. We are very conscientious home owners -we take care of where we live. What I noticed was even we didn’t take care of the rental like we did our own home. If you don’t have skin in the game-you don’t take care of things the same as when you own them. 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    We rented a 320U for a week to see if we could manage in the small space through Outdoorsy - we very much appreciated the experience and Totally understand the concept for the people renting it that it will be maybe beat up more than if you took it out but figure that as the cost of owning it this way. Also I would not do spring / fall camping for a 2021 model 320S I would have lithium of at least 100 AH and ask them to use shore power as much as possible.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    Lol sometimes I forget how ahem.. old .. this forum skews. 

We already own the camper, in fact it’s our second Tab (first a 320 now a 400) and this is just to make some extra cash while it’s sitting idle, not to help “afford” the camper. 

We live in Colorado right on the national park circuit and we get out about 30 nights a year. That leaves what looks like an estimated (net) earning potential of $7,000 - $9,000 per season. 

Tbh the biggest drawback for me is not the wear and tear, clearly we are much much less emotionally attached than most folks on here haha! It’s the pain of doing tons tons of tutorials and providing support when people can’t figure out the Alde etc..

anyway thanks for chiming in y’all 
  • Options
    GatorEgg said:
    I’ve dealt owned/managed with rental sailboats, pwc and houses.  As long as you treat it as a business and not a personal valuable item you are good.  If you value it as a cute, valuable, emotional possession, you’ll get hurt.
    Most of us name our T@bs and the reason I love it so much is literally because it's cute and an emotionally attached possession. I nearly cried when I just sold my 2019 400 and watched it being pulled out of my driveway without me! 
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    If you can earn that much, buy a second one, used of course, and rent it.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Reminds me of what they say around here when it comes to naming farm animals your raising to eat...if you name them you won't be able to bring yourself to eat them!  Most T@b's I've seen have names  =)
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    robdillerobdille Member Posts: 1
    kbdigitiqe, I've considered it for the same reason you have and have the same concerns.  I thought if I did it I'd either make or find a series of videos that the renter would have to watch before renting.  And, make a series of checklists for them to use. 

One more thing to consider - selling a 1/2 interest in the camper to someone with a similar mindset to you about taking care of things.  Years ago I bought a boat with a friend of mine and it worked out great.  
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited November 2021
    @kbdigitiqe, given we’re talking about a 400, there’s an “unofficial” 400 manual around here somewhere that was specifically written by an owner who had extended family borrowing their trailer…so it was written to explain things like operating the Alde to non-owners. It might be a good starting point for you to work with.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    We rented a Silver Shadow and a couple of different T@Gs for a little more than a year before we started looking for a trailer to own. 

The person we rented from had 5 for rent. It was a side business. The experience with his trailers significantly guided our buying decision.

I agree, if you have a trailer you are attached to, don't put it out on lease.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    There is occasionally a Facebook post about someone renting a Tag/Tab.  I think in the proper situation it could work out:  if the renters were looking to check whether the Tab was for them, and the campsite was nearby for "owner support". 
    Here is the link to the Unofficial 400 Resource manual by Awca12a.  Which is useful even if you don't own a 400.
    Also, in the Manual category, there is a very nice "unofficial guide" for a 2014 which is very useful, too.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163