Save Me {?} = - = Day Dreaming of a Class C

= - = Forum Lacks a General Topics Sections, so . . . = - =

From time-2-time and more frequent in the winter months in seems my Class C RV daydreams get more serious.
Most recently is a Class C floorplan with a rear Murphy Bed so one can load/carry bicycles or whatever in a super-mini-garage while the bed is stored.

My thoughts being:
   -    eBike riding at camp sites &
   -    4x4'ing in a 'real' vehicle instead of some noisy ATV
seem to be two of my most frequent and enjoyable 'camp site' activities.

Yes, 320S bike storage is not that difficult . . . mine stores just fine in the TV bed.
While the 4x4'ing is far more of an issue;
  - - -  there are real limitations to how adventuresome one should be when the 4x4 vehicle is also the get me home TV.

So the daydream persists . . . a Class C with inside bike storage and a Jeep or Bronco in tow.

The Issue / Problem / Risk:
   1.  No Alde!  I just love how the Adle system works.
   2.  Class-C Floorplan I like most is built by the second lowest perceived factory quality manufacturer, Coachmen.
       That is a far bigger personal system shook then no Alde after enjoying the build quality of NüCamp.

Of course there is No Correct Solution/Answer.
Maybe I'll wait another year and let the checkbook have some input . . . . ;)
'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @MuttonChops have you driven or rode in a C class? Do you like rattling and wind/ engine noise? I’ll bet your current TV is a comfy ride. 
    If your Tab breaks you can drag it or load it on a flatbed. If  a C class breaks, it’s a different story.  :open_mouth:
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    JeffroNC said:
    . . . If your Tab breaks you can drag it or load it on a flatbed. If  a C class breaks,
    Guess my real-world concern is the 4x4 TV breaking.
    The T@B will be fine - - - it's well built - - - but 4x4'ing in the TV ? ? ? =)
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    In reality, how often do you actually break down when 4-wheeling?  When I was much younger and had much less sense than I have now - at least I hope so - I owned a Jeep and went places and did stupid things that I should not have. I always made it out. The only time I was seriously disabled was when a rear bearing let loose while going down a blacktop highway! 

And if you buy that big class c there’s probably more to go wrong with that than a tow vehicle and 320 combined.

I say keep the t@b and go 4-wheeling w the TV. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    I think you're in a no-win situation here. Just like with travel trailers the quality of Class C motorhomes is all over the place, and Coachmen has a "run don't walk" reputation for a reason. Maybe apply some out-of-the-box thinking like this guy: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/truck-camper-on-a-gooseneck/ 
    edited December 2021
    Grumpy_G said:
    . . .  Maybe apply some out-of-the-box thinking like this guy:
    Fun, now let's see the bank account needs to support
     -  a trailer
     -  a slide-in (on) camper, NüCamp has one with an Alde :)
     -  a full size truck TV
     -  4x4 play vehicle

Hmmmmm.

= = = =
    expect a Full size truck with slide-in, towing a street legal Jeep / Bronco would be a bit less painful to bank account . . . and more in-line with the cost of a C Class + Jeep/Bronco

that rig option might require some additional daydreaming . . . .
    ( I've avoided slide-ins due to the overhang and really high entry steps . . . )
    = = = =
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    @MuttonChops, You could always trade the Colorado Z71 in for a Jeep Gladiator, or Jeep Wrangler 4Xe, which can tow the TaB 320 and go out 4x4 exploring…
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited December 2021
    I’m going to argue the other side a little. Sometimes a given RV just isn’t the right fit for the way you want to use it, and I have to wonder if there are reasons beyond what you’ve stated that make a class C appealing to you. I’m doing similar right now, looking at class B conversions, and every time it comes up in my mind, I try to trace that thought back to what isn’t working for me with my Tab. Some things I could fix at least to some degree, like upgrading my off grid capability (batteries and solar). Others, I can’t fix at all, like wanting an overall combined length of no more than 20 feet (impossible), or not liking to hitch/unhitch/tow (though I’ve made that process as simple as I can). Listing these things out and prioritizing them might help push you towards a decision.

Maybe you’ve outgrown your Tab. Or maybe Denny’s right and it’s the just the tow vehicle that needs changing…that’s honestly the simplest solution if you find the only reasons to make a change are those you’ve stated.

(edited for clarity, blame a deficiency of caffeine today!) 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited December 2021
    @MuttonChops, and you didn’t bring this up at Saturday breakfast why? I’m always checking out other options, and sticking with what I love, and besides, it’s all paid for now!  =)
    PS- no saving you…. B)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @WayneW , @Denny16
    Excellent point on low likelihood of a trail breakdown (with sane driving) or perhaps a more robust 4x4 vehicle to reduce if not fully put to rest the damaging my get home vehicle fears.

Add in that I'm not big on rock crawling . . . driving goals are to get past that 100-yards of really bad stuff that the more interesting 2-track roads always have.  The Colorado has a fair low range crawl ratio of 42 {worst Bronco is 57} but lacks good approach/departure/breakover angles, ground clearance, and is a bit long on wheelbase, 128".  Not as bad as those full-size 4-door trucks but no nibble 100" 2-door Bronco.

Will definitely think more on a different TV approach . . . which would be lowest cost as well. :)

Sorry Denny16; Gladiator won't make the list since it only has a 4-door model . . . I just can't accept 'crew-cab' models as being pickups, they are 1970's Carryalls with the rear roof cut-off. More robust Colorado's are available and maybe it's time to review the SWB Regular Cab full size - - - they are just so darn wide and tall - - - my 1990 full-size F-150 4x4 SWB was the same width as my 2017 Mid-Size. Detroit needs to go on a diet.

@VictoriaP , @Homebodyatheart
    I really have no issues with the 320S.  Not having to unload the TV to go 4x4'ing and not worrying about getting home are the main reasons for daydreamng.
    I had a comfortable trawler/tug on Puget Sound for 23+ years . . . yet every year or two I would be searching for something different.  But could never justify (mostly in my heart) to give up that old/reliable boat.

But I expect I'll have to at least go sit in 'the target' Class C before moving on.
    And of course a tow vehicle change won't stop my day dreaming about non-T@B trailers - - - say something from Bigfoot . . . . :o

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    . . . yet every year or two I would be searching for something different. 
    I can relate. I’ve spent most of my life dueling with this constant desire for something different that may not actually be necessary. 😂

Sounds like rethinking the tow vehicle does make the most sense in your case.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    You’ll miss being able to drop the trailer and drive away. We did 18 years in a Motorhome. Pros and cons. 
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    Oh my gosh, we'll have some great conversations at the East meets West rally! @MuttonChops, maybe a 4Runner?! I don't go 4 wheeling, but do like the clearance, wheelbase is 110", overall length 190, which is slightly longer than the T@B. I love the 4Runner, especially yesterday as I watched larger 1/2 tons try to maneuver in a small parking lot. However, I too research/wish/analyze/vacillate over another RV that could solve some of my dislikes/frustrations with the 320S, but would require a larger TV. The Bigfoot B17 is nice! Also nice they seem to have US dealers. At 8' wide, I don't know that I could get it onto my 9' wide RV pad between house/fence. I've been eyeing the Escape, also made in BC, but buying direct without a local dealer makes me nervous for service issues.

@VictoriaP I seem to have the same affliction as you with this constant desire for something different! Yep, class B's seem so easy and I love that. Setting aside price, I'm not sure I want to break camp every time I want to explore, or get groceries, or leave it at a trailhead. Plus my dog would be inside; better she's in the trailer at camp with hook ups. 

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

edited December 2021
    dsfdogs said:
    . . . we'll have some great conversations at the East meets West rally!
    . . . maybe a 4Runner?
    . . . The Bigfoot B17 is nice!
    Yes, some East Meets West TV conversations would be great . . .

I've not been much of a SUV person . . . really like the unlimited vertical space of the pick-up.
    did own a Corolla  in the '70s. Nice small car and no problems except the water pump which failed every 40K-miles or so.

Yes, I've got a 'call me' request at local RV Dealer for when they have Bigfoot 17's in stock for viewing.

P.S. (added after original post)
       I did ask Bigfoot if they had any plans to use the Alde system.  Answer was No.
       However, they are investigating switching to the Truma System (hot water + heat in same units
        = = air blower heat)
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    edited December 2021

P.S. (added after original post)
       I did ask Bigfoot if they had any plans to use the Alde system.  Answer was No.
       However, they are investigating switching to the Truma System (hot water + heat in same units
        = = air blower heat)
    That would be great! While I like the quiet of the Alde, I wouldn't mind giving it up. The wet bath looks a bit odd, but bigger than what we have now. I also love the large 12v fridge, awning, windows all around, larger kitchen, separate bed, outside storage, larger tanks...hmmm...holy moly, I just saw pricing of one in TX at over $60k! 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    Heh heh. Bigfoots are made 22 kilometres from my house. :)
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited December 2021
    Went to the Hershey RV show earlier this year. Had to tour the bigger rigs. Very easy to be sucked into the gilts and glimmer, but even if our pockets were deep enough, the daydream would surely have turn into a nightmare. Played hard through our per-retirement years while keeping the overhead down. The minimalist approach served us well. Were able to dip into our meager funds to purchase a used T@B to pull behind my nine year old Jeep. Strange satisfaction comes from being the smallest rig in the camp. (there is a bit of embarrassment when asked how much a T@B cost) Even a small class C would have not felt right. If only the 320's bathroom was a just little bit bigger.  =)

Not sure where this morning highly caffeinated ramble is going or how it fits this thread. Maybe just something to think about before following our winter blues impulses.     

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2021
    AnOldUR said:
    ...  (there is a bit of embarrassment when asked how much a T@B cost) ...
    You're operating with Brown & Sharpe equipment in a Harbor Freight realm @AnOldUR. They don't even know what they don't know.

"Smile and wave boys, smile and wave" the Penguins from Madagascar.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    Grumpy_G said:
    . . .  Maybe apply some out-of-the-box thinking like this guy:
    Fun, now let's see the bank account needs to support
     -  a trailer
     -  a slide-in (on) camper, NüCamp has one with an Alde :)
     -  a full size truck TV
     -  4x4 play vehicle

You need to buy the 4x4 in either scenario so let's exclude that. Trailer 20k, truck 60k (unless you want super luxury), 40-50k for a nice slide in camper. Now look what a quality Class C like a Dynamax cost.

Still, I posted this somewhat jokingly, maneuvering this thing around is not fun.
    Grumpy_G said:
    You need to buy the 4x4 in either scenario so let's exclude that. Trailer 20k, truck 60k (unless you want super luxury), 40-50k for a nice slide in camper. Now look what a quality Class C like a Dynamax cost.

All those dollar signs have me jealous. Retired and this year purchased 2013 Wrangler for $15K, 2020 T@B for $25K. Hoping to be on the road for most of 2022.

Stockton, New Jersey

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited December 2021
    We rented multiple types before buying.  All rvs have pros and cons.  We were close to a class b.  But what sold us is our activities.  We don’t like “camping”.- sitting in front of the trailer listening to the birds.  With our 320,  we travel and explore.  We drop it at a site.  Then we go exploring the local areas with our bikes and our kayaks on the truck.  Also size… With my Tacoma 4x4 I can get my trailer most anywhere the truck can.  A motor home, any size would make that all the above a hassle.  So a 320 it is.
    But we are considering a Black Series HQ015.🙂
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

GatorEgg said:
    But we are considering a Black Series HQ015.🙂

Wow! Hadn't seen this. Better start playing the lottery. :o
    Stockton, New Jersey

• AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Been there...done that. Grass isn't always greener. ;-)

Last cross-country trip I lost track of how many times I dropped the T@B and spent days roaming...sometimes grabbing a motel or B&B for a quick overnighter and return "home" the following day. Sure, you can do that towing your car behing the Class C. But the shake, rattle and roll inside a Class C is enough to rattle the nerves IMHO. 

Like the peace and quiet of the TV and the independence of towing. But we each have our own likes and dislikes. That's what makes the world go 'round! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

GatorEgg said:
    We drop it at a site.  Then we go exploring the local areas with our bikes and our kayaks
    . . .  But we are considering a Black Series HQ015.
    LOL, sounds like a miss match.  Why get the cool looking off-road hopeful HQ015 when you can 'drop the T@B at a site' only a few miles nearer the main road ? ? ?

Most reviews suggest HQ015 quality is typical box RV not NüCamp'ish.
    My concern with them is how much of the off-road looks is actually functional.

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    I call it a disease that we all have to want to upgrade all the time and what stopes me is some of the more practical reasons I have read in the thread above! Wish they had a vaccine fore this disease so I could always think in reality. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @gulfarea, that "disease" is caused by the marketing machine, all of the companies building stuff, and our "throwaway society". We (myself included) can easily get caught up in the hype of what I refer to as "the want". My mind is always tries to trick me into believing that "if I had this or that, it would be THE BEST" and then I would be 100% satisfied. 

When in reality, we need to realize that "happiness is not having what you want but rather wanting what you have". 

I too have looked at Black Series HQ19, even went so far as showing my wife a video, but the reality is we are retired and everything we have is paid for. I am not going to spend 80K plus on a camper nor would I consider getting a payment book. It simply isn't that important. Even with that said, I nearly drove to the dealer in NC that sells them to take a look. Looking is dangerous for me to participate in.....

Instead, I am going to spend some time and a little money to add heating pads to our 400 BDL. In reality, that is the only thing we are currently lacking (?) in what we have, the ability to be out in cooler weather. I guess my delay is I am not sure how much we would go in cooler weather if we could. It is the perfect camper for us and how we like to camp. And as others have already said, we can get into places others have no chance of with larger RV's. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Right on Brad!  If I lived full time in a class A I would still want my T@B. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    Mini-follow up / update

Enjoying some winter T@B camping.
    First days of trip were in snow zone . . . Adle on 120VAC 2Kw held cabin at 55F while outside was 12F

Trip was to attend a 4x4 Jamboree.
    As my TV is also my 4x4 vehicle (as noted in original post) the 4x4 trails were limited to class-3 rated trails.  Which is/were more difficult than I would try by-myself.

TV did great off-roading and there was a comfy T@B waiting for my return.

Instead of a Class-C - - - - maybe a lift kit on the TV would do the trick . . .

If you are interested a more detailed 4x4 summary was posted at:
    https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/hurricane-ut-winter-4x4-jam-2022-any-other-colorados.426657/ 

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    A quality impact wrench, clamshell style strut spring compressor and a beefy bench vise are the main things you'll need to make a suspension lift happen @MuttonChops ... and the ability to utter a few select colorful words at specific points in the process B)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    The RV that has me daydreaming is the Leisure Travel Van Wonder. It's so beautiful, has that great big garage, and is convenient enough to be able to just stop somewhere on the road to see an attraction, go for a meal, or get some groceries. Anyone here have experience owning one of these--pros and cons?