1 1/4" receiver hitch

ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
Curious how many tow a 320 Tab with that size receiver. Reason I ask is because looking at the accessories for the Toyota Sienna they put that size receiver on their 3500lbs rated van. That class 2 receiver is rated for 3500lbs. I presently use a 2" receiver but wondering if it's more than I need for my next vehicle.
2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
Ottawa, Ontario

Comments

• Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    You can't have too much in this area in my opinion. I am using a Class V (3") because it is what is installed on my vehicle from the factory. However, it makes no sense to put more hitch on than the vehicle is capable of. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ClaudeA said:
    Curious how many tow a 320 Tab with that size receiver. Reason I ask is because looking at the accessories for the Toyota Sienna they put that size receiver on their 3500lbs rated van. That class 2 receiver is rated for 3500lbs. I presently use a 2" receiver but wondering if it's more than I need for my next vehicle.
    That’s what you, the 2” ball.   👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    @Michigan_Mike Yes a 2" ball but I'm concerned about the receiver on the vehicle. Sorry if I'm not using the right terms.
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2021
    I would discuss it with the dealer and as long as your vehicle is rated for the load being towed you should be okay.   It’s good that you are inquiring as I have seen people trying to pull these trailers with less than adequate tow vehicles and not understanding the dangers therein.  If the vehicle is insufficient it is a safety issue that impacts braking and handling on the road, etc. Weather changes things up too, road surface, wind, speed, etc. and this is why you have rollovers and fatalities.  Metal fatigue is part of the equation too and this is why it is important to inspect both the trailer components and tow vehicle.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • subfreq111subfreq111 Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2021
    Yes, I tow with a Class I hitch on a VW Jetta. Class II 2" ball mount, everything works fine. I'm probably close to the 2000 lb limit for the hitch but it hasn't snapped off yet. My ball mount is solid instead of square tube, so that has to help some.
    Nick / 2018 T@B 320 S / 2010 VW Jetta TDI / Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited December 2021
    @ClaudeA - It sounds like you have a class 3 hitch with a 2” receiver which usually is rated for 5,000-6,000# tow capacity.  Having a hitch with higher capacity will give you more towing options down the road.  I would check to see what hitch is installed.

I agree with Dutch061.  The TV hitch/receiver is something to not scimp on.  Like tow capacity and tongue weight, you never want to max out your weight limit of your hitch/receiver.  Although your towing capacity is always determined by your lowest rated towing component, I don’t think you want it to be your hitch/receiver.  In your case, let the Sienna tongue weight capacity of 350# be the limiting factor.  Some Class 3 hitches will also allow use of a WDH, if you choose, down the road.

I suspect the class 2 receiver that is a Sienna accessory is for something like a bike rack - not intended for an RV trailer.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    My current 2016 Sienna has a 2" receiver which is fine. I was just curious if anyone is using a class II 1 1/4" receiver that is rated at 3500lbs. It's the receiver that Toyota is installing on their 3500lbs rated vehicles like the 2022 Sienna. 
    Ottawa, Ontario