TAB 400 BD Towing

Very close to purchasing a 2022 Tab 400 BD and plan to tow the 400 with a 2020 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. I wanted to ask if anyone tows a 400 with a tundra or similar vehicle and how they may have their hitch setup, distribution hitch, sway bar, etc. 
thanks

Comments

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I tow my 2018 Tab 400 with a 2013 Tundra 5.7l with the tow package with a friction sway bar.  There has been no need for a weight distributing hitch as it may not be the best idea sharing the 6200 lbs of the Tundra with the Tab's axle.  The Tab tows beautifully with the Tundra, my experience is over 25,000 miles towing cross the US and into the Canadian Rockies.  I use a

CURT 45260 Class 3 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 1-Inch Hole, 2-In Drop, 3/4-Inch Rise which allows for the tailgate to open fully clearing the tongue jack.

2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    I tow our 2019 400 BDL with a 2010 Tacoma V6.  I put air springs in the rear just to level things out but it tows and as importantly, brakes fine.  No friction sway bar, no weight distribution hitch.  You will be fine as is IMHO.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The Trunda should be fine, nüCamp does not recommend a weight distribution hitch with tow vehicles like a Trunda, or other 1/2 ton truck.  I tow our 2018 TaB400 with a Jeep Gladiator, 6,500 tow package and no WD or sway bar, over coastal mountain roads with out any issues.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We have a 2016 Tundra SR 5 Crewmax with towing package and 5.7 V8 and have seen no need for sway bars or weight distribution. I believe the suspension changes in our TV obviate the need for either. We have had zero issues and in fact have a very low stress towing experience. MPG when towing also about what others report with v6 vehicles.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We tow our 2021 400 with a 2018 Nissan Titan crew cab.  No sway bar or anything else.  Tows wonderful. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited December 2021
    I previously towed with a 2017 F-150 and it was fine, no WDH or sway bar. Using a Tundra will be fine, I am sure as they are good trucks. My only gripe was MPG.

Current TV fixed the MPG issues. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • CamperQueCamperQue Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the information. I was thinking that I may not need the weight distribution hitch and wanted to see what others were doing towing their 400. That’s right about the MPG in the Tundra as it is not that good when not towing.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    The mpg I get with my Titan is slightly better than with my Tacoma I used to have. I usually get 13mpg towing in the mountains. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I tow with a 2021 Toyota Sequoia Limited with 4WD. Hitch has a 2-in drop. No issues except for the 10-11 MPG, but I knew that would be the case. No WDH nor anything else.  Previously towed with a 2003 Sequoia 4WD. Drove cross-country with the new Sequoia for uCamp in June 2021. Mountains are not a problem for the V8, nor for the older 4.7. You'll love the combo.
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    Absolutely the Tundra will haul the 400.  No WDH would be required.  The trailer design itself offers a solid tracking to the tow vehicle.  I have seen a tendency by owners to expand their carrying capacity on the frame, on each side of the tub, that would have some impact on the tongue weight capacity of the tow vehicle.
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • BethHBethH Member Posts: 8
    I also tow my 400 with a Tundra, no sway bar or WDH. Used to have a Tacoma and since upgrading to the Tundra, it tows like a dream.
    2015 T@B Outback Q Max towed by Toyota Tacoma
  • jag0130jag0130 Member Posts: 10
    I am picking up my 400 next week and had an eq wd  hitch on my geo pro 20bhs which I  towed with my 2021 Ram 1500. I was told that although I wouldn’t need the wd on the 400, it would definitely help with swaying and bouncing, etc. I have little experience with towing otherwise, but anything that helps while doing so is welcome. 
  • richardspahnrichardspahn Member Posts: 17
    jag0130 said:
    I am picking up my 400 next week and had an eq wd  hitch on my geo pro 20bhs which I  towed with my 2021 Ram 1500. I was told that although I wouldn’t need the wd on the 400, it would definitely help with swaying and bouncing, etc. I have little experience with towing otherwise, but anything that helps while doing so is welcome. 
    No sway bars as most cause oversteer on curves and may set up a jackknife.  
  • RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

I have towed my 400 with a 2019 RAM 1500 for over 25K miles without WD or sway control. I have had no issues.

Thanks for the responses. Again, I’m no expert but there a lot of varying opinions on this. And while I’m also sure that you’re experiences are accurate, there are others who have had different experiences. I definitely believe that a wd/sway hitch is not needed with my TV and trailer, but whether or not it adds another layer or safety or causes a safety concern is certainly not absolute either way. 
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I don't see how "sway bars" could cause oversteer.

Unless there is a confusion between "sway bars" and "weight distribution bars".  A sway bar is simply a friction  device attached to the hitch and trailer that resists the trailer moving out of alignment with the tow vehicle.  Weight distribution bars are attached to a weight distribution hitch.  They lift the tongue of the trailer and the back of the tow vehicle to transfer weight forward (not unlike lifting a wheelbarrow, for example) and restore weight to the steering axle of the tow vehicle that has been shifted back by setting the trailer on the hitch and loading the tow vehicle with gear behind the its rear axle.

With the weight distribution hitch a small part of that weight is also transferred to the trailer's axle, about 15-20% in my experience at truck scales.  So if you transfer 300 lbs to the steering axle to replace what is removed by the trailer and tow vehicle gear loading, you would not experience oversteer, but restore the original steering capability.  If however, you were somehow able to shift considerably more than the original steering axle weight forward, then you may experience oversteer.

When towing a trailer regularly, it is always a good idea to weigh you tow vehicle unloaded, and then again with trailer and normal travel load on the tow vehicle.  Then you will know the weights on all individual axles (speaking for a single axle trailer) and whether any axle is overloaded, or the steering axle is too light for effective steering and braking.

A overloaded steering axle will cause oversteer and underloaded steering axle will cause understeer, both potentially unsafe conditions.

The idea that a weight distribution hitch on a Tab trailer will transfer too much weight to the Tab's axle is unlikely. That would take a highly over-sized weight distribution hitch with heavy torsion applied to the weight distribution bars. In theory and actually done once as a demonstration, a weight distribution hitch lifted the rear wheels of a tow vehicle completely off the ground.  This, as many things that pop up on the internet, are in the realm of fantasy.  

If you're uncomfortable with the loading on your rig, take it to a Cat scale and weigh it's axles.  Easy, peasy and not expensive.

Doug

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
    Thanks for the detailed response and explanation, Doug. Definitely helps me understand a little more. That said, I’m still not entirely sure what I’m going to do and I’m still about a week from getting my 400. I saw with the Andersen, the hitch can also be used without the chains, so I guess I could do that if I thought it was too much. Although, the wise thing to do would be to two the trailer first and then decide if I need something. 
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I don't think the Andersen will provide any sway control without the chains. The friction sway device is a cone and seat under the ball that must have the chains hooked up to rotate the cone in its seat.  

Do the same thing with a sway bar for $60, and have the advantage of being able to adjust the friction, or remove the friction entirely on icy roads The same friction that prevents the trailer from moving out of alignment with the tow vehicle, also prevents it from returning to alignment, not something you want on icy roads.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2022
    jag0130 said:
    Thanks for the detailed response and explanation… Although, the wise thing to do would be to two (tow) the trailer first and then decide if I need something. 
    Yes, I would wait and get the trailer first, and tow it with a standard hitch/receiver first…. Then decide if you need additional sway control or a WDH setup.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thanks very much again for the quick responses!  I know there’s no sway control without the chains (I only play dumb on tv, haha)…just figured I wouldn’t be totally wasting my money since I would be able to use the hitch independently (still maybe dumb idea). But, I agree that I should wait and even consider just a sway bar.  I’ll keep you guys posted. 
  • Roamy400Roamy400 Member Posts: 19
    We tow with a Tundra, no WDH no sway bar. Never had a problem, handles it without issue. No sway issues, just make sure tongue weight is correct.
    2020 T@B 400 Solo (Roamy)/ 2008 Tundra Limited / Nashport, Ohio