Options

Picking a tow vehicle

We have a T@B 400 Boondock on order with delivery hopefully in March or April. Neither of our cars have enough towing capacity so we also need to get a tow vehicle. We’re interested in your thoughts and experience as we sort through our choices. Our general criteria, in order of importance, are:

1 - Reliable: We plan to travel far from home and sometimes far from towns so the last thing we want is any sort of mechanical problem.
2 - Roomy and convenient: We know storage in the trailer is limited so we expect to carry a fair bit of stuff in the tow vehicle and that should be easy to pack and unpack.
3 - All-wheel drive: We don’t expect to go 4-wheeling but we do want to sometimes get back and away from main roads with the trailer, and like reliability the last thing we want is getting stuck. 
4 - Comfortable and quiet: We’ll be spending many hours in the tow vehicle so it should be easy and pleasant to drive. 
5 - Mileage: All else considered, higher is of course better. 

What other factors might we consider? Any comments on our priorities?

With what I’ve listed right now our top choice is a Toyota Highlander. Any comments on that vehicle? What other vehicles do you recommend we consider? 

Thanks!
Bubbles - 2022 T@B 400 Boondock
Tug - 2021 F-150 4x4 Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    We tow with a 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum and are 95% satisfied: it is very comfortable, has all the safety features you’d want, can take on all the rough roads in Utah (or elsewhere) that we wanted to travel, has plenty of storage for cross-country trips (even with our dog claiming the whole back seat), has a huge sunroof to gawk through, and comes with Toyota reliability.  The only minus is that we stop every 200 miles or so for gas as we get 11 to 14 mpg.  Hope that helps, and good luck!
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    We tow our 400 BD with an Audi SQ5.  It tows very well and is a great ride in it's own right.  We like it way better than a truck.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    We probably have 30k miles towing with our F150. Gets 10-11 mpg towing and about 19 in town unhitched. 
    I have a camper shell with our ebikes, portable fridge, and all our camping gear under it. It’s big and does not get pushed around by the trailer. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    I used to tow with a midsize truck and a midsize suv.  Since switching to a full size truck I will never go back.  I feel much safer and no need for any anti-sway or weight distribution stuff.  It is much more stable a platform especially when you get blasted with cross winds in Wyoming or 18 wheelers blasting by you.  Also the extra space for stuff and the over comfort is wonderful. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    RMo said:
    We tow with a 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum and are 95% satisfied: it is very comfortable, has all the safety features you’d want, can take on all the rough roads in Utah (or elsewhere) that we wanted to travel, has plenty of storage for cross-country trips (even with our dog claiming the whole back seat), has a huge sunroof to gawk through, and comes with Toyota reliability.  The only minus is that we stop every 200 miles or so for gas as we get 11 to 14 mpg.  Hope that helps, and good luck!
    We do use a Reese WDH with sway bars and have had no sway issues in our two trips across the US.  Mileage without the T@B is about 22 in mixed driving.
    2019 T@B 400
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    bergger said:
    I used to tow with a midsize truck and a midsize suv.  Since switching to a full size truck I will never go back.  I feel much safer and no need for any anti-sway or weight distribution stuff.  It is much more stable a platform especially when you get blasted with cross winds in Wyoming or 18 wheelers blasting by you.  Also the extra space for stuff and the over comfort is wonderful. 
    Our experience with our Tundra reflects what @bergger noted. I was worried that we would pay a huge MPG cost with our 5.7 V8 but it seems that towing a 400 is going to drop almost any TV to the 13MPG range, So that becomes just another cost of RVing. I would not want to do a long commute in our TV for that reason, but we have a Prius for that. If I had to sum it up in one statement I would say get a TV that makes you not worry in the least with towing a 400. It is for recreation for most of us after all, so why create stress for yourself?

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    We did our first season with a 2014 Q5 and it's more than enough vehicle.  The only issue is our choice of brake controller (Curt Echo) which has some connectivity and grabbiness issues, but for power and stopping the Q5 is plenty, even in high winds, hilly terrain, etc.  That said, we recently got our hands on a new '22 X3 and plan to tow with it going forward - both vehicles can handle 4400 lbs (440lb on tongue) so we've stayed with the Germans for that reason.  Some really nice options from the Japanese makers out there but sadly they just can't tow the same as the German vehicles unless you go much larger (eg. Acura RDX can't tow a Tab 400 - you'd need to go to the much larger MDX).  Being a non-truck family (I just don't like the size), we wanted the smallest vehicle that could still safely tow our 400.
  • Options
    kurtkurt Member Posts: 11
    I tow a tab 400 boondock with a 2018 F150 that has the factory installed tow package. V6, 3.5 eco boost engine. It’s a very easy and smooth drive, towing or not towing. Does have the 4-wheel drive, I live in snow country. Gas millage when towing averages 12 -13 mpg, including hills, non-towing avg.’s 20-22 mpg in the Ecoboost mode. I would buy another one. The factory installed tow package sold me on this truck, has all of the tow features you might need or want.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Another advantage of a factory tow package---though one that is a little less obvious--is that all of the wiring for the controller is attached to a convenient connector under the dashboard. At least that's the way it was on my Frontier. All I had to do was buy the correct connector cable and my controller plugged right into my vehicle. Easy peasy, and no cutting/splicing/potential damaging of my truck's OEM wiring. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @ScottG, even simpler with FMC trucks, they have a factory brake controller. I am on my 4th truck with this installed and all I can say is they work well.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    edited December 2021
    You beat me to that item @ScottG.  My 2003 Tundra 4x4 came with the tow pkg and my controller plugged right in. I'm all about comfort when I'm towing but the top of that comfort list is being totally comfortable that I've got more than I need to handle the trailer.  I've got the small V8 and avg around 13 mpg towing.  I bought it new and maintained it well and would have to qualms about striking out cross country in it with it's 250k miles, it's just now getting broken in  ;)
    I guess I should qualify my Tundra love.  As I said I bought it new in 2003 and didn't have anything to tow behind it until a year ago.  But I've used my truck to haul a lot of tools over the years as well as get me to remote places to camp, canoe and backpack so for me it was a no brainer when the T@b showed up.  If I wasn't a truck guy and was getting a T@b I might genuinely be looking at a sturdy SUV for a TV.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    I’ve enjoyed the past few years towing my T@B 400 BD with a 4-cylinder turbo diesel Chevy Colorado.
    It is a 2.8 litre engine.  Superb fuel milage.  High torque at low RPM makes it great for hauling.
    I am a calm, steady driver.  If I craved breathtaking acceleration, this engine would not satisfy me.
    As it is, I’m entirely satisfied with this rig.  I did install add-a-leafs to the rear suspension and I use a weight distributing, sway inhibiting hitch.
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

Some of the factors in choosing a tow vehicle is how you plan to use your camper.  I live in S Carolina but like to boondock in the west, I often do 700 mile days and have done 900. I have towed my 400 with a Honda Ridgeline (V6), AWD. The Ridgeline was capable of towing the 400 but in some conditions it struggled. The 6 speed did a lot of shifting, even on a slight overpass it would shift down. It needed a WDH, and it moved around a bit in high winds and when being passed by semi’s. For me the Highlander would not cut it because of its marginal power and short wheel base. I now have Ram 1500 (V8), 4x4, 8 speed, for me it has worked great. When driving the 1500 through the Colorado mountains I still feel the camper, I think it would be a torture test for a Highlander.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    RFraer said: For me the Highlander would not cut it because of its marginal power and short wheel base. I now have Ram 1500 (V8), 4x4, 8 speed, for me it has worked great. When driving the 1500 through the Colorado mountains I still feel the camper, I think it would be a torture test for a Highlander.

Admittedly, I have never towed with a Ram 1500 but I have driven through Colorado with our Highlander and it was a smooth no-problem drive.  I’m very comfy with the Highlander, no issues with power or sway, but that’s not to say something couldn’t be better - I’m just not sure how.  To each their own, but I’ve found mine.
    2019 T@B 400
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    edited December 2021
    My Highlander has been good also.  I tend to shift manually in hilly areas.  I think having the higher tongue weight of the 2019, like mine, helps with the stability.  I am getting a WDH with sway control since the Highlander manual says sway control is required when towing over 2000 lbs.  I'm only getting it so my butt is covered if there were an accident.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

I did not mean to disparage the Highlander, I was trying to convey to the OP that a mid size SUV maybe marginal for towing the 400 in certain conditions. I would not suggest that a ½ ton pickup is needed but I do find towing with a ½ ton comfortable and reduces stress on long travel days particularly with bad weather. I like camping in the mountains and sometimes have long travel days so that is why I traded the Ridgeline for the RAM but if not for towing the Ridgeline is generally a better vehicle.

• Options
    K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 34
    I love my F150 with a shell pulling our Tab 320.  It is 2 wheel drive, and will admit sometimes I wish had 4WD, but I get better gas mileage and more cargo capability without out it.  The shell on the truck enables me to carry lots of stuff (maybe too much  :)) and since it is a full size bed, it makes a great guest room when I bring along a cot.
    Ford has done a great job with the F150. I love it.

Whatever you end up doing, get more towing and weight capacity than you need. You will never be sorry.
    I haven't read all the posts, but make sure you understand what towing capacity and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating mean and ensure they will meet the requirements for your 400 and the cargo you plan on bringig with margin.
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Good point, the weight of the tow vehicle and it’s contents (including passengers) should not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight rating printed on the TV driver’s side door pillar.  It also lists the vehicle’s cargo rating, which includes passengers and the weight of the trailer’s tounge sitting on the TV trailer hitch.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @Denny16, I think you may be referring to "Payload Capacity" when you mention "the tow vehicle and its contents (including passengers) should not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating".

Payload Capacity is the "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the curb weight of the vehicle as equipped"; which is easier to use than GVW. 

Example, you compare 2 vehicles that have an 8500 Pound Gross Vehicle weight rating, the "Payload Capacity" can be vastly different due to the configuration of the vehicle. An example would be 2 F-150 pickups that have the exact GVW but are equipped completely different (IE 2 WD VS 4 WD). The Payload Capacity will reflect this and is simpler to use. 

It is also imperative to point out that the tongue weight of the trailer being towed MUST be subtracted from that same "Payload Capacity". 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Thanks Brad, I agree, but I was referring to the total weight of the TV, including its payload (vehicle cargo & passengers) and the tongue weight of the trailer.  But you are correct, that the TV payload must also not be exceeded, and the payload includes the trailer tongue weight.  Also,the load has to be distributed correctly, so the vehicles axle weight rating (also in door pillar) is not exceeded.  

In the case of a pickup type truck, most of the weight loaded in the bed and the trailer tongue weight is over the rear axle, which has its own weight load limit. 

A good rule of thumb is if the rear end of the TV drops lower than the front, and causes the front end to lift up, the load over the rear axle is excessive, and probably overloaded.  This is a dangerous situation, as steering and control of the TV is impaired.
    cheers
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Not sure if you're looking exclusively new but don't rule out pre-owned. There are thousands of very reliable TV's out there with proven characteristics. Depending on the vehicle, could mean lower insurance rates, lower payments (assuming you're not paying cash), etc.

Just food for thought...
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2021
    I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the Kia Telluride, as it ticks every box @DMattern listed.
    In terms of reliability, it is the highest rated mid-size SUV in that category per Consumer Reports, and has the highest overall vehicle rating as well. It is offered only as V-6 with a very well-matched 8 speed transmission, and both AWD and a factory towing package can be had as factory options. Its fuel mileage is respectable, if not outstanding with EPA ratings of 21/19/24 mpg. The Telluride cockpit and its instrumentation are very well laid out, and its seating rivals that of Volvo, the perennial leader in the seat comfort category. The highway drive assist, lane-keeping function and active cruise control work well together to make long trips almost enjoyable. Plenty of safety features such as blind spot warning and collision avoidance as well.
    We recently replaced our aging Volvo XC-90 with a Telluride EX-P AWD and have been very pleased with its highway manners and towing performance. While our camper is a 320, the 5,000 lb towing capacity of the Telly should allow it to handle the 400 similarly. We only have one long trip under our belts, but the Telluride returned 16 - 17 mpg over about 1,200 miles. The cargo capacity is excellent, and is more than adequate to handle the gear needed for two (plus dog) to camp comfortably.
    One big drawback to the Telluride is its lack of availability. Should you want one at MSRP (forget about a discount), you will have to place an order and wait, perhaps 6 (or more) months. Virtually all Kia dealers with Tellurides in stock add thousands of dollars over list to their selling prince, the euphemistically named "market adjustment fee." Ironically, its sister car, the Hyundai Pallisade, can often be found on dealer lots without the added mark-up. It is not rated quite as highly, but is still the No 2 mid-size SUV in Consumer Reports.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Or look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, new or used, with factory towing, will handle the TaB400 just fine, whilst having a comfortable cabin and seats.  It also has four-wheel drive to get you through snow, and the occasional off road trails through BLM camping areas, where the roads are not maintained very well.
    cheers
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Not to be a downer but the feds just fined Kia and ordered them to recall something like a million more vehicles,  the issue is engine failure and Kia’s previous fix did not fix the issue.

2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    Not sure if when you are "Picking a Tow Vehicle" that this means you are searching new or used.
    I concur with those who are towing with a full sized pickup - whether a Ford F150 or GM 1500 and I will chime in with a Tundra SR5.  I also only have the 2-wheel drive and I have a 2015 small V-8 (4.6 L.).  I consistently get 15-16 mpg and love the advantages of the full size bed for gear.  The day will come when someone will write on here about towing with the 2022 Tundra with a turbo charge V-6.  The added power of the turbo charged engines is appealing. 
    It is simultaneously exciting and exhausting to look for a new vehicle because you want to do the "right" thing.  Best of wishes as you read through experiences.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    dlb said:
    Not to be a downer but the feds just fined Kia and ordered them to recall something like a million more vehicles,  the issue is engine failure and Kia’s previous fix did not fix the issue.

The engine involved in the recall is not the 3.8L V-6 introduced in 2019 that is used in the Telluride/Pallisade. Perhaps the 60k mile bumper to bumper and 100k/10 yr mi powertrain warranties that come with the Telluride are to counter the negative effect of the engine recall headlines.

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If you are a long term vehicle owner like me, you become hooked on you tube channels that show engine teardowns and failure causes. The best one I have found is:

https://youtube.com/c/IDoCarsalldaylong

He has torn down two Ford Eco-boost V6 engines. I wouldn't own one after watching both of those, if the water pump fails it is a very expensive repair even if the motor isn't trashed, a totally bad design. I don't know if the water pump location has changed on newer versions or not, but in both of the teardowns I watched, it is inside the engine timing cover, a failure dumps coolant into the engine internals.

I would say a large majority of failures of all engines are on the owner due to lack of oil changes or other abuse, however I have also seen overly complex designs or bad designs that basically render the engine trash when they fail.

I have learned alot, mostly about what I wouldn't own. Keep that oil full and fresh too!

If you only keep a vehicle 36 months or under 50k mikes it probably doesn't matter, but if you do, then what you buy mechanically is as important as the seats and the sound system or whatever else you think is important.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    akarjalaakarjala Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 2018 T@b last May and towed it with a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (6 cylinder, 3.4L).  After two trips, I decided that I wanted a TV where I didn't regularly need to worry about capacity and margins.  I searched and found a 2017 Nissan Titan XD with a V8 5.0L engine and 555 ft lbs of torque.  I feel like it was the best decision I could have made as it came with an integrated break controller, tow mode, extendable mirrors and many other features specific to towing.  Also, for long trips, the MPG doesn't drop quite as much as a gas vehicle (although I can rarely get as good as 15 MPG).  I didn't have brand loyalty to Nissan, but I do have an affinity to the Cummins engine which is a workhorse that can get to really high mileage if you take care of your vehicle.  Also, the pickup is considered a 'large mid-size' rather than a heavy duty vehicle, so it isn't as monstrous as many of the pickups out on the road today.   I haven't seen anyone else towing T@bs with my setup, but I can tell you that the biggest thing I have to watch is remembering that I have a trailer behind me.
    2018 T@B 400, aka T@batha
    Towed by a white 2017 4x4 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X, 5.0L Diesel, aka Prometheus
  • Options
    marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    We took delivery of our 2022 Telluride on 12/24/21.  It was an 8 month wait.  We did use a 2019 Kia Sorento for pulling our 320S which performed very well pulling a full load.  Used the Sorento with a WDH to pull our 400 from the dealer to our home a grand total of 15 miles and it was effortless.  Looking forward to the Telluride/400 combination.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    marchule said:
    We took delivery of our 2022 Telluride on 12/24/21.  It was an 8 month wait.  We did use a 2019 Kia Sorento for pulling our 320S which performed very well pulling a full load.  Used the Sorento with a WDH to pull our 400 from the dealer to our home a grand total of 15 miles and it was effortless.  Looking forward to the Telluride/400 combination.
    We ordered a 2022 Telluride last May and took delivery of it in September, somewhat sooner than expected. Though we wanted the SX trim level, the sales manager advised that the wait would be considerably shorter for a Telly in EX trim. Wait times for Tellurides are now ridiculously long, 10 to 16 months depending on trim!
    While we have only one longer trip under our belts, the Telluride with the factory tow package works very well for our 320 BD. Perhaps towing is not quite effortless, but is is certainly pleasant driving the Telly with that 320 behind it. I'm certain that you that your Telluride will handle the slightly larger and heavier 400 equally well.
    We have been quite favorably impressed with our Telluride so far. While it does have a few minor flaws, it compares very favorably with the vehicle it replaced, a Volvo XC-90 V-8 Sport. It's nearly as comfortable and quiet as the Volvo, and though it will never be mistaken for a sports car, handles quite well. The self-leveling rear suspension (part of the tow package) works as advertised. One small nit about the tow package is that the 7-pole receptacle appears to be of middling quality, and does not seem to seat the plug particularly well.
    On the highway, the Telly is actually superior to the Volvo; its Smart Cruise Control with Lane Keeping & Highway Drive Assist are great at helping to eat up the miles. One of the small annoyances is that while towing the camper, the car's electronic system periodically warns that it it shutting down the Blind Sport Warning function. The issue is not the loss of the function, but the periodic dashboard warning that it is not available.
    I initially posted in this thread that I'm surprised that there are not more T@B owners using the Telluride as a TV. I'm sure that's partly because so many are partial to pickups, which do have some significant advantages over SUVs. That said, if your TV preference is an SUV, and you are towing a lighter load under 5,000 lbs, you can hardly go wrong with a Telluride (made in the US, unlike it's nearly as capable sibling, the Hyundai Pallisade) in my view.