Options

Fuel Cell - Generator

Anybody seen this,
WATT Fuel Cell
Possible very efficient, quiet, light weight, LP powered generator for our T@B's.
Geo & Liz
T@BMahal
'04  #100

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Interesting, but only 500 Watts continuous which is not sufficient for even charging my batteries.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2022
    Well shoot! That really sounds great! but....

The 'little bit' that their fancy website tells you, doesn't give much information.

ie:
    • what is its fuel source? How is it supplied? All I can see is "creates power from readily-available and easily-accessible hydrocarbon fuels and renewable energy sources" and nothing more.
    • 1150 watts "Max Hybrid Power" -- what's 'hybrid power'?
    • In the photo of the 5 units, the individual units only seem to have different "caution" stickers, they're not really different units. Likely only mockups of what their dream is.

Looks like air-ware to me. (Pun intended!)

Too bad. Still no real fuel cells.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    Interesting. The hybrid system is coupled with solar power and a control module to charge batteries up to 1500 watts, can be done while in use. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Fuel source is LPG or natural gas, according to their website.  It needs to be connected to one of these fuel sources, which are not renewable energy sources.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    A solution looking for a problem.....  :)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    This strikes me as one of those conceptual companies promoting an idea to generate and gauge interest, but with no actual product to sell.

On a related tangent, when I first started thinking about campers I found a company that designed modules that could be fitted to standard-sized utility trailers--one of which I already owned. It seemed like a slick idea; the problem was it didn't actually exist as the creators will still seeking a manufacturer and a market. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2022
    @ScottG,  Your probably correct, not really in production.
    I found the reference to it in - RV Review: A look at 2021's best – and worst – RV features, Part 2 - RV Travel
    @Denny16,  The renewable part of it is that in connects in parallel with a solar array with built in controller for both, your correct LP is not a renewable energy source. 

Seems like a great new tech. however,  one can always dream . . .
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited January 2022
    @Geo, I think a better alternative for our TaBs is setting up a 200-300amp lithium battery bank with solar charging (100-watts per 100 amp of battery), a DC/DC converter to charge from TV, and an inverter that will meet your AC power needs.  Total cost is less than many of these undersized, overpriced solar battery power units.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.