Options

Carry Motorcycle, Ebikes, Bicycle on Tab 320

Comments

• Options
    Bill_FBill_F Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2022
    Trailer tongue retracted back to original, OEM length.

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    I really like that set up!  Can you provide part numbers/details for the components that you used?  Did you notice any issues towing with the extended tongue?  Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    I’m curious as to why you only have one safety chain hooked up, and the other not. You really need both attached and crisscrossed to make a cradle to catch the tongue of the trailer, if the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle. 

Jeannie 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2022
    I believe nüCamp has a max weight limit for cargo added to the front of the frame between the trailer and OEM hitch.  Depending on the weight, a motor bike could exceed that weight limit and stress the frame?  

Another consideration, when extending the hitch point to the TV, you are decreasing the tongue weight on the front of the trailer, which needs at least 10% of the total trailer weight on the hitch.  Reducing this weight below 10%, could make towing the trailer unstable.  These are points to consider when making mods like this.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I believe the maximum load of the rear Yakima rack (with spare tire) is 25 lbs.  Hopefully those Jerry cans are empty during transport!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    Tabaz said:
    I believe the maximum load of the rear Yakima rack (with spare tire) is 25 lbs.  Hopefully those Jerry cans are empty during transport!
    Yep, not much left after taking the spare into account.
    From nuCamp FAQ.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Lower rack bar has stainless steel tube insert inside Yakima tube for better overall strength, no flexing. Rack track through bolted to trailer structural members, sealed with marine 5200, at limited, select locations. 
  • Options
    Absolutely agree on need for two chains when towing.
  • Options
    These pics for ideas only and certainly not advised or recommended. All modifications (over) engineered and all steel work performed by a professional trailer and hitch fabrication company with years of experience. Feel welcome to ask for more details off-line.  Thousands of miles traveled on and some off road over the past year with these two set-ups. Thanks!
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261

How much engineering and modifications were done beyond the extension area? Was the frame reinforced all the way to the axle? If not I see this as putting a lot of leverage on the frame that it wasn't designed for. It isn't uncommon for Tab frames to develop cracks in stock form, let alone extending the hitch and adding a lot of weight.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    This is one example of why I prefer to not buy a used rv. Soooo much weight added on front and the rack on the back in some pics.  The max gross weight for that trailer is most likely exceeded. 

Edit:  Let me add a thanks to Bill_F for taking the time to share the photos of his mod and I'm sorry you are receiving negative feedback.  We (I) try to avoid being judgmental but some of us (me) freak out a little bit when we see something that we "believe" isn't safe or is likely to cause damage to the trailer.  I think this is because this forum is primarily used to discuss technical topics, with safety ALWAYS at the forefront, so we tend to go there quickly.  Some of us have owned T@Bs for many years and understand its limitations (physics), AND we pride ourselves as veteran T@bbers in helping others travel safely. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    I, also, would like to thank @Bill_F for sharing this adventurous modification.  There have been forum discussions about hitch extenders (which are generally deemed to be a bad idea) to increase the spacing between TV and trailer and I had wondered whether a frame extension would be a better solution.  I posted a concept drawing about this which was considerably less radical than @Bill_F's.  At that time there was a difference of opinion as to whether a frame extension would generally improve stability or make it worse.  We now have a data point!  @Bill_F reports (in a PM) that the stability improved with a longer tongue.  So increased tongue-to-trailer-axle distance seems to help the overall stability more than decreased tongue weight hinders it.  If one is looking for more clearance between TV and trailer (not necessarily for adding more cargo-carrying capability) then a trailer extension does seem to be a good solution.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2022
    Extending the tongue of a trailer (between TV hitch point and trailer axle, does not make the trailer less stable, just the opposite, it can increase stability, as long as a minimum tongue weight is maintained (normally 10% for North America due to our fast highway speeds).  In Europe and UK, the TaB trailer tongues are longer than North American trailers, and have less tongue weight, because they tow at slower speeds.

The issue with extending the hitch, is when you extend the hitch mounting point (ball on TV draw bar/receiver) between the TV rear axle and the hitch point (ball).  This situation can create a stability issue, and cause the trailer to fish tail.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Seems Denny 16 gets it. This trailer is far more stable with the e-bikes or the KTM exc350f loaded with the tongue extended vs the stock OEM length retracted mode. Any trailer is subject to proper loading and balancing. Weight capacity of trailer not even close to being exceeded.  These mods were carefully considered and 'engineered'. Happy to demonstrate and show to anyone who happens to be cruising through Ventura, California. Again, thousands of miles traveled on all kinds of surfaces without an issue. Just trying to share helpful information and expand some horizons a little with the pictures that were posted ;)
  • Options
    Stan CarlisleStan Carlisle Member Posts: 1
    Bill, I think your TaB modification to haul your ebikes on the 1Up bike rack is terrific; and want to copy your plan.  (It's so good, we think NuCamp should consider it as an accessory!)  Can you please please provide the specs?
  • Options
    DanWeitzelDanWeitzel Member Posts: 59
    Not so much interested in extending the tongue to carry bikes/MC but I think a useful method of extending the tongue via some type of sliding device would be a great help in backing the trailer.  The longer the distance between the TV & the trailer axle the slower the trailer response to TV steering inputs.  This makes backing easier (boat trailers are a good example).  If a sliding tongue extension could be designed to be in the normal length for towing & extendable when backing this would be useful.  Just throwing this out for discussion.
    2016 T@B 320 Qmax, 2020 KIA Sorento, The Woodlands, TX
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    ...and for the record, the area where the v shaped trailer tongue attaches to the trailer box frame was reinforced. 

My modifications to accommodate and install the telescoping trailer tongue were, in the end, quite simple and not that expensive.