T@B 320 California registration - AAA?

RogerCRogerC Member Posts: 25
Recently moved from Arizona to California.   Had an unbelievably difficult time transferring registration on all three vehicles at CA DMV.  One of them still isn't right after 6 months of back and forth visits to DMV.  

Registering my used 2021 T@B 320 is going to be complicated.  Desperately hoping to avoid DMV.  

Complications include that I'm wanting to register it under the Permanent Trailer Identification program and that it was gifted to me (so no Bill of Sale).     

I'd be interested in hearing of others experience with registering through AAA.  Can AAA handle just about anything the DMV could?    
2021 T@B 320S Boondock / 2022 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Sport / Idyllwild CA

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Check with AAA...but there are many other service providers that the CA DMV allows to handle registrations and transfer of title, etc.
    I bought my trailer new in Phoenix, and drove it back to Huntington Beach.  Like any other vehicle from out of state, you have to have the VIN number, etc, inspected by someone "official" like the DMV or the CHP, etc.  The thought of driving the Tab to a crowded DMV parking lot......
    I discovered that there are plenty of service providers that can do this, and the process was easy as could be.  They knew exactly how to handle the Permanent Trailer Identification.  The whole process took less than an hour.  The small fee was well worth the skipping of the DMV parking lot!
    I am a AAA member, but I don't remember why they didn't do this for me.
    Here is a page to search for these service providers:
    And the chapter from the DMV that describes the qualifications for the PTI. 
    Don't let anyone tell you anything about the PTI that isn't included exactly in the wording of the manual and the California Vehicle Code section 242. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    AAA could not register our T@B trailer out of state. Some DMV locations are more knowledgeable than others, if you're having an issues regeristering your trailer at one, try another. Lastly the inspection can be done at a DMV that is not busy, like say Palm Springs where there is no line, or if there is one it's only a few people in it. And you can finish regeristering at another DMV if you choose to.
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @RogerC, I haven't read through it all, but maybe you will find some helpful information in this discussion thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/104821#Comment_104821
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    To qualify for a California PTI registration, the Camp Trailer must not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width.  A TaB320 is 15- foot long and 80 inches wide, so it qualifie, as does thr TaG.   However, a TaB400 is a Travel Trailer under CA DMV definition (not a Camp Trailer), as it exceeds the 15’ limitation at 18-feet in length. So the TaB400 requires an annual registration renewal license plate, which can now be done on the internet instead of in person at the CA DMV.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    RogerC said:
    Recently moved from Arizona to California.   Had an unbelievably difficult time transferring registration on all three vehicles at CA DMV.  One of them still isn't right after 6 months of back and forth visits to DMV.  

Registering my used 2021 T@B 320 is going to be complicated.  Desperately hoping to avoid DMV.  

Complications include that I'm wanting to register it under the Permanent Trailer Identification program and that it was gifted to me (so no Bill of Sale).     

I'd be interested in hearing of others experience with registering through AAA.  Can AAA handle just about anything the DMV could?    
    I changed my registration to PTI a few years ago and had to bring the trailer to a DMV. Same a few years earlier than that with a boat trailer I brought in from Idaho. AAA couldn’t handle it. 

Even if the trailer was gifted to you I would think that you will need some proof of conveyance. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    If @RogerC has an Arizona Registration in his name, that should be enough for proof of ownership for CA DMV, then it is just a matter of changing his AZ registration to CA.  DMV may want to inspect the trailer, to see it qualifies for PTI?
     Cheers 
    Denny16 said:
    If @RogerC has an Arizona Registration in his name, that should be enough for proof of ownership for CA DMV, then it is just a matter of changing his AZ registration to CA.  DMV may want to inspect the trailer, to see it qualifies for PTI?
     Cheers 
    I understood it to mean that the trailer’s not currently registered in his name in AZ. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Yes, Roger didn’t make that clear, which is why I said If…
    cheers
  • RogerCRogerC Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2022
    Check with AAA...

I discovered that there are plenty of service providers that can do this, and the process was easy as could be.  

I am a AAA member, but I don't remember why they didn't do this for me.

Here is a page to search for these service providers:
    Don't let anyone tell you anything about the PTI that isn't included exactly in the wording of the manual and the California Vehicle Code section 242. 

Thanks, @pthomas745 .  That was just the information I needed.   Unfortunately, I think it's telling me I must go to a DMV office.   But yes, I'll check with AAA. 

In using the site you provided to find alternatives to DMV, they all indicate 'Registration Renewal' as a service provided.  None of them state 'New Registration'.

AAA website actually lists 'New Vehicle Registration' as one of the 'Services only performed at a DMV location'.   I assume this means 'new' in the sense of 'initial California registration' (as opposed to being a new vehicle).   My TAB is a 2021 used vehicle, but it's currently registered in Arizona, so this will be the first time it's being registered in California. 

So, it seems I'm destined for yet another day at DMV.  Ugh.     

I'll be sure to escalate if the PTI program isn't well understood.   
    Marceline said:
    I changed my registration to PTI a few years ago and had to bring the trailer to a DMV.   AAA couldn’t handle it. 

Even if the trailer was gifted to you I would think that you will need some proof of conveyance. 
    Thanks @Marceline .  

Based on yours and other feedback I've gotten here, I'll probably (regrettably) go straight to DMV.   

Regarding conveyance, I do have a notarized statement of the gift.  

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    @RogerC, I would still drop a call on one of the local providers.  They are wired directly into the DMV.  They should be able to tell you exactly what they might be able to do.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, Roger didn’t make that clear, which is why I said If…
    cheers
    Thanks @Denny16 and @Marceline .

The camper is registered to my mom in Arizona, with the title in her name.  With that registration, the title signed-over to me, and the notarized statement of gift, you would think I'd be covered with the DMV.  We'll see.          
    I would still drop a call on one of the local providers.  They are wired directly into the DMV.  They should be able to tell you exactly what they might be able to do.
    Good thought and could save me a lot of trouble.  I'll do that.  Thanks.
    RogerC said:

Thanks @Denny16 and @Marceline .

The camper is registered to my mom in Arizona, with the title in her name.  With that registration, the title signed-over to me, and the notarized statement of gift, you would think I'd be covered with the DMV.  We'll see.          
    I think that should work. I bought a boat trailer that was registered in Idaho and went to the DMV with handwritten bill of sale. I seem to recall that there was some weirdness because Idaho doesn't title small trailers. I ended up having to bring the trailer to a DMV to sort it out. I would call AAA just to check, but unless they've changed the rules (COVID?) I think that you'll probably have to go to a DMV and you will likely need to bring the trailer to get the PTI. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • gtstoysgtstoys Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 Dutchman T@B and it was previously registered as a travel trailer.  I also have AAA and they do not inspect/certify camper trailers. 
    I had to bring my trailer to get it inspected/certified by the CA DMV that it qualifies for PTI which is under 16ft.  After the inspection, I went inside the DMV to register the trailer as PTI.  It took me 1/2 the day but it is worth it. 
    2008 T@B Thor Dutchman B)  TV - 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport Edition
    edited April 2022
    Just to close this out...

I took the Tab with its Arizona registration and notarized documents (attesting to the gift conveyance and authorizing title transfer) to AAA.  Without missing a beat, they inspected the camper and processed all the required documents; transferring ownership and registering it under the Permanent Trailer Identification program. 

I'm sure it must have been one of the most complicated they've done, but their knowledge and good process really shined.  We were in and out within an hour. Here's a big shout-out to Palm Springs California AAA!