Options

Standing water in toilet after 6 weeks no use

After 6 weeks parked in the driveway there is  a quart of brown standing water in the toilet. The bowl was clean and empty prior to this discovery and no one has been in the trailer. The battery and pump have been off. We have had some 28-32 degree nights here in Northern California. Has anyone experienced this or have any explanation?
—  2019 320 S Boondock, 2016 Nissan Frontier, Sonoma County

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2022
    Sounds like someone went in the trailer and used the toilet?  Mine has been stored in a similar way, except, I have a toilet seal lube solution about 1” over the top of the valve to maintain the seal.  It has been several months like this, no additional water in the toilet.  Holding tank has about 1-gallon of Happy Camper solution in it.  Alde is set to 50F to keep the inside from freezing.  

Since is hardly get below freezing here on the NorCal Coast, we just drain the water system and tanks in the Dec-Feb months.  We only fill the water tank when we are going comping.  I added a 30-amp AC outlet close to where the TaB is stored, to run the Alde in cold or wet weather.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Was it winterized?  Toilet valve blown out and/or filled with antifreeze?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DudleeDudlee Member Posts: 24
    Nothing done to winterize.
      I'm thinking I left the door unlocked for a few days
    and a homeless person got in there one night. Nothing missing, no signs of anyone being in there otherwise.
  • Options
    You might want to rethink not winterizing. If you are in a climate that doesn't go below freezing normally you should at least blow out the system. There is a valve on the back of the toilet that holds water and it is especially vulnerable to freeze damage...just one example. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I agree.  Winterizing is so quick and simple I think everyone who has even a few days near or below freezing should do it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    You might want to rethink not winterizing. If you are in a climate that doesn't go below freezing normally you should at least blow out the system. There is a valve on the back of the toilet that holds water and it is especially vulnerable to freeze damage...just one example. 
    I keep my trailer a few miles to the east of @Dudlee in Contra Costa county and I don't winterize. I use my trailer all year round. It's not worth the effort - we just never get below freezing for more than a few hours, a few nights a year. I do normally empty the water tank and the lines by pulling the drain valve and running the taps dry when I park it though. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some antifreeze in the toilet - I used to do that but I haven't for the last couple of years.

Also @Dudlee if you're not on our list, we have a bunch of NorCal T@bbers who get together for a rally once a year in Olema: NorCal T@B Family

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DudleeDudlee Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the Winterizing advise. We are having  a few nights of 27 degrees here and I keep the Alde at 60 overnight.
      I hope we can make it to Olema to see everyone this fall @Marceline
  • Options
    Dudley, keeping the Alde at night at 50F will give you enough protection against freezing.  I am further North of you on the coast, and Thst is what do.  See you at Olema…
     Cheers 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Denny16 said:
    Dudley, keeping the Alde at night at 50F will give you enough protection against freezing.  I am further North of you on the coast, and Thst is what do.  See you at Olema…
     Cheers 
    FWIW I'll be at Olema this weekend. Having a fix-it weekend there with a friend who has an Airstream. Feel free to stop by if you're in the area. Also @Dudlee

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Thanks Marceline, but don’t think we will be able to go.  Have fun…
    cheers
  • Options
    LynErLynEr Member Posts: 6
    is the tub in a 2018 320 made of ABS plastic?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Yes, I believe it is, unless you have the Outback model, then it is aluminum.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, I believe it is, unless you have the Outback model, then it is aluminum.
     Cheers 
    They’re all plastic.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Sorry, the 2018 TaB320 Boondock (in 2018 the previous Outback became the Boondock model) came with the Aluminum front tub (smaller than the current model) and the Boondock front rack kit.  Previous models all used the ABS plastic front tub.
     Cheers