Options

What should I consider carrying on the metal platform in front

Containers? Brands? With lids? Photos of them? Bolted down or strapped to the tubes? Maybe a bolted down A generator? 
Karen and Chris
2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
Dallas, Texas
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited February 2022
    Parkinson's Law Corollary; Stuff expands to fill the space available for storage 

2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited February 2022
    There are quite a few threads here that detail the various storage options owners have used. I personally have a pair of 8 gallon Action Packer bins bolted to mine, one for water & electric system bits, one for my sewer hose.

But this is next on my purchase list: https://seabiscuitmetaldesigns.com/product/tab-boxes-standard-size/ They have several sizes, so do browse their site a bit. Several owners here have bought these. All Pro Adventures also makes a similar design, theirs have locks but are quite a bit more expensive and only come in one size. https://allproadventures.com/collections/t-b-accessories/products/storage-tubs

I wouldn’t permanently bolt a generator to it. Gennys need to be 20 feet away from any window or door when in use for safety (including those of any neighboring campers). Brackets for temporarily securing some popular brands of generator might be available though.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    Our previous owner bolted these tool boxes to the frame.  we have left them as they are inexpensive and functional.  One has sewer equipment and the other has fresh water hoses, etc. 
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    Nothing heavy. Not good to add alot of weight to the tongue. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    edited February 2022
    Lots of threads.  Back in the day, the Rubbermaid Action Packers were the storage of choice.  Here is an early thread that covers many different options.
    I have the aluminum storage boxes from "Custom Aluminum Boxes" (you can see them in the thread.)  The Seabiscuit design people have been all over FB for a year or so, and they are nice.  I don't know how the "Custom Aluminum Boxes" compare in price.  I was able to get the exact measurements I wanted on mine.  Whatever way you choose for boxes, they are a great addition to the trailer.
    Here is a search for "storage boxes", sorted for just the images.  Click the image for access to the thread link.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    I use an 8 gallon action packer.  It fits perfectly.  I strap it down with a ratchet strap.  I went with the mobile option instead of permanently bolting boxes to the platform.  That way I can remove the action packer at camp and place it by the fire pit area as it holds all my charcoal and other fire starting and cooking items.  I like the versatility.   I usually leave the other side empty or if on a long trip may strap down a second action packer or bundle of wood. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Nothing heavy. Not good to add alot of weight to the tongue. 
    That depends on way too many factors to generalize by saying “nothing heavy”. Going by that generalization, one should never put dual 6v batteries into the front tub of a 320, and we’ve recommended that option to owners for years.

From a safety perspective, tongue weight needs to be between 10%-15% of the fully loaded trailer weight. Being under this guideline leads to dangerous trailer sway; over, and you can damage your vehicle or the trailer frame. The latest model Tab 400 is much less tongue heavy than earlier models, so @CruiserCamperChris has some room to play with before worrying too much. (They also have plenty of capacity with the high tongue weight limit of that Land Cruiser they’re towing with, so I’m not addressing that here.)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I should have taken more time to respond. Sorry about that.  I was picturing how some people add the two side boxes and fill them up with heavy items, or put water jugs/gas and generator, and then put bicycles up there too, or extra batteries.  I haven't done the math, so this is kind of just a WAG but I wouldn't personally add more than about 50 pounds of gear. Maybe I'm overly cautious. 
  • Options
    @TabbyShack On a 2019 Tab 400–which were VERY tongue heavy, more so than was listed in the specs!—50 lbs as a guideline might be safest. But on a 2021 or 2022 400, adding just 50 lbs on that platform (which is far enough back towards the axle that at least 30% of that weight doesn’t even end up counting towards tongue weight) may well end up putting you below 10% and into that dangerous sway category, depending on how the rest of the trailer is loaded. But you’re also right, a lot of owners toss everything and the kitchen sink onto the front frame and end up dangerously overweight. 

This is why getting a loaded weight and loaded tongue weight is critical for safety. Overall weight can be obtained at any truck scale, and tongue weight can be measured at home, either with a tongue weight scale or even a bathroom scale (and a little extra technique required that’s easily found on Google).

For @CruiserCamperChris, packing a trailer is like a jigsaw puzzle. A lot of it comes down to “what fits where?” & “what gets used near this space?” When looking at storage on the tongue, start by thinking about what you want access to from outside the trailer—hoses, cables, sewer stuff, and levelers are all commonly stored where you can grab them easily for setup at camp. Once you know what you want to store on that platform, you’ll have an easier time sourcing appropriate containers.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2022
    Thank you all for your comments! Big help. I wont put a lot of weight up there. Ill put a lot of lighter weight  things that i need access to. 
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    I'm realizing now why I am thinking so very conservatively. I had a 2019 400 and when I picked it up from the dealer the tongue weight was 460! I made a few minor mods and got it down to 400.  I actually had a part in the redesign because I made a very big deal with NuCamp about the very understated/advertised tongue weight.  When I called them about it they were absolutly not aware the tongue weight was that high. They told me they didn't even have a tongue scale!  I just picked up a 2022 model and actually weighed the tongue today and without the spare tire mounted it was 320. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @TabbyShack I *thought* I remembered you having a 2019! Yes, that model year had SO much weight up front that putting things on the front frame was very tricky. You’ll be able to store more up front on your new rig.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I'm realizing now why I am thinking so very conservatively. I had a 2019 400 and when I picked it up from the dealer the tongue weight was 460! I made a few minor mods and got it down to 400.  I actually had a part in the redesign because I made a very big deal with NuCamp about the very understated/advertised tongue weight.  When I called them about it they were absolutly not aware the tongue weight was that high. They told me they didn't even have a tongue scale!  I just picked up a 2022 model and actually weighed the tongue today and without the spare tire mounted it was 320. 
    Well i want to THANK YOU for making a big deal about the tongue weight!
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Sorry! It's such a pet peeve of mine!  It was such an issue with my 2019 400 that it's permanently imprinted on my brain! 

Oh I guess you mean because NuCamp made the tongue weight lighter because of me? Hahahaha
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2022
    No need to apologize. I was sincerely trying to thank you, otherwise my 2021 wouldn't have had the tongue weight reconfigured by NuCamp.
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
  • Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2022
    I carry a blue tote on my front rack...useful when camping without a sewer hookup.  The Barker 15 gal. fits perfectly when standing...fits the rack width and is below the bottom of the 400's front window.
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Don't carry anything on the rack until you need to.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH