Options

Batteries get neglected when running the heater on electricity

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    If the converter is bad, you can easily order a replacement converter from WFCO. As far as installation, there are 5 wires (2 on one end and 3 on the other) and 2 screws. It is a very easy task.

Had I not spent 3 hours building an enclosure for my WFCO 55 Amp to make it a battery charger, I would send it to you for the cost of the shipping.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2022
    Thanks @Dutch061 is it the 8900 model? Just checked its the 8955
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2022
    Chris, your TaB should already have a SAE plug on the driver’s side rear, near the Nautilus access door.  The WFCO converter (120VAC-12VDC is behind the black panel in the galley area.  The Inverter is in the rear center area under and behind the bunk, next to the batteries.  

This brings up a second point, have you accidentally turned on the inverter, control is in cubby next to the bunk, where the Inverter AC outlet is.  This would draw down the batteries also, even without a load on the AC side.  Another thing to check.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    thanks Deny16 but my 400 does not have the SAE plug. They got rid of it when they decided to go with the built in solar panel i think. No, my inverter button has been off.
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2022
    so is this what i need? I could have it monday if i order by 11pm CST. Its not much less expensive than the whole unit, but a whole unit would take a week long to deliver and maybe it is actually more work to install the whole unit? You would have to rewire the breakers? https://www.amazon.com/Arterra-WF-8955-MBA-Replacement-Board-Assembly/dp/B004A34G94 it is made by the comapny that makes them and sells them to WFCO.
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chris, we are all guessing at the cause, and I have lost track of how and what was tested.  Since your Alde is working on shore power, the converter is working in the AC side.  You really need to have the electrical system checked by someone with a multi-meter, that can determine if the WFCO converter is really working properly, if your battery circuit is connected to the converter, etc.  A meter can determine where the converter is working properly and where it is producing a 12VDC output, and where it is not, and if the battery is getting a charge voltage from the converter.  If you do not know how to trouble shoot with a meter, the RV Tech you have coming can do this for you.
     Cheers 

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2022
    The convertor only converts 120 VAC to 12 VDC, it has nothing to do with the 120 VAC in the camper. Still, you need to determine if it is functional before you swap it out. A digital multi meter would be the best bet, but you could turn off the battery switch (Perko) with the camper plugged in and see if any of the 12 VDC items work. If not, the chances are that the convertor is not functional. If you have access to a digital multi meter, when you measure the voltage you should see 13 plus VDC. It would be best to turn off the solar charging before you take the measurements. 

The convertor you linked to is the correct replacement part.

@Denny16

What is a WaCo, do you mean WFCO Convertor? WFCO is the Brand name NOT WaCo.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Thanks Brad, a typo on my part, will correct my post.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Well that was quick. Edwin of Lone Star RV service just left a little while ago and brought the WF8995 converter with him. Replaced it. And charged a very reasonable price. So my converter is fixed and i know who will be my service tech from now on when i need one! I want to thank everyone who helped me get to the bottom of this problem. My voltage reading is now 14.5 while on shore power.
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas