Options

Where to get hitch installed...

newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
Hi all,

Does anyone have some tips for where to get a hitch installed.

My RV Dealer would charge $1,050 to install the hitch on my car and that would include the cables.

I could buy one online and install it myself, but unsure about the wiring at this point (plus I would have to purchase all of the cables extra).

Does anyone have experience dealing with U-haul, Pep boys, others. Do they do a good job with the wiring as well as the hitch itself?

Kind of leaning towards the RV dealer at this point, just for simplicity... How does that price sound? He says it is a 5 hour job.

Thanks!
2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited February 2022
    If Kia makes a hitch for the Sorrento, personally I would skip all 3rd party options and go with that. Your vehicle dealer can install it. 3rd party hitches are often bolted to different locations than OEM hitches, and that can be a problem. 

If no OEM hitch is available, I’d go with a utility trailer/hitch dealer if possible over the RV dealer, but I’d go with the RV dealer over UHaul, etc. I’m lucky enough to have Torklift not far from me, so I had an EcoHitch installed by them a few years back on a previous car, and went back to them with the current car for the conversion from the OEM pin wiring to the 7 pin needed by the Tab. Because they specialize in hitch/wiring installs, even local car dealers outsource to them regularly.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks!

You made a good point about the "7 pin" connector. If I go with Kia, will they know which type of connector to install? Is that a standard thing?

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    4 pin and 7 pin are both common. No matter who you have do an install, it’s best to confirm exactly what their install includes.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @newcamp - whoever installs your hitch and 7 pin, make sure they know that you need a 10 gauge charge wire and ground.   What are you doing for a brake controller?  If you are going to have it hardwired, have it done at the same time.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Great point about the break controller. I will need to make sure the job includes everything!
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Just be aware that a Sorento, without a tow package, can only tow 2000 pounds. Properly equipped (with tow package) 3500 pounds. 

Jeannie 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
     :#  

I definitely need to look into that! I will find out if it has one. If not, I can probably install the components myself, depending on what it includes. I have replaced radiators, alternators and other stuff of that type before. But you brought up a super important point! If I look into this now, I still have a lot of time to get things sorted before springtime. 

Thanks!  :)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    Thanks for those links!

I did some research on this. There is a lot of conflicting information floating around. 

I will hopefully get more clarity after I inspect my vehicle more closely (checking if it has a tranny cooler and if it has a 4-pin connector tucked in behind the wheel well cover) and after I look up my VIN with the dealer. 

Thanks again,
  • Options
    After some research in different areas, calling the dealer, looking closer at my car, i found out that my car indeed has a towing capacity of 3,500 lb. 

It was good to get to the bottom of that! Thanks for the input!

I decided to go with the RV dealer for everything. They include the break controller and the 7-pin connector and they know exactly what's needed. 

Thanks!