Options

Glycol Leak Repair

sarahksarahk Member Posts: 5
I noticed some strange sounds in the radiator of my 2021 Tab 400 and mapped it back to an empty glycol reservoir. The leak is from the connection in the pic (I refilled the res and watched the leak in this pic). 

I think I need a special tool to remove the clamp and get to the root cause.

For now, I was thinking about adding another simple clamp to the hose but wanted to see if anyone in this forum had seen/experienced this.

(FWIW, this is my first trip this winter with the trailer and I just got it brand new at the end of summer '21, so it's very low use)

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2022
    There may be debris between the hose and the nipple or the nipple itself may have a crack. Before doing anything, I would reach out to your dealer, share this picture and information. Then, you might try a worm screw type clamp to see if it helps (very doubtful). The reason industry moved to the spring steel clamps is they provide a constant tension regardless of the temperature which results in fewer leaks.

Might bet is another clamp will not fix it.

P.S. You can use a needle nose pliers or bent needle nose pliers to squeeze the ears together to release the clamp.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    sarahksarahk Member Posts: 5
    Bump bc this exact issue is happening on other units 😔
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    This is almost always a cracked plastic nipple and the fix is another Alde reservoir. Too much unsupported weight with that hose hanging and the vibration going down the road cracks it, especially after the plastic gets brittle from heating. After replacing the reservoir, relieving some of the weight should be part of the repair. I would of thought by now NuCamp or Alde would of figured this out, it has been going on in the 400 since they came out and maybe the 320 too.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    If they had used the white nylon materail instead of cheep plastic  you could stand on it and it would not brake the same with some of the thin metal T fittngs used. By now Airstream and Nucamp must be getting tired of this fullishness! I know some of us are tired of the extra maintance and spilled antifreeze. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Unfortunately, the design and quality of most products is intended to get you through the warranty period, then it is good luck afterwards. Something as simple as adding the proper amounts of UV stabilizers to plastics to prevent yellowing and brittleness, cost pennies to add to the formula. But do they? No, there is way more money to be made by selling replacement parts.

That is my opinion, and opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one, just some have more lint in them than others.....

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    For anyone searching for a similar leak problem, today I found a leak at this same location on my 320. What I found was that there was a seam in that nipple where the flashing from the molding process had not been removed. I’m guessing that over time the pressure from the clamp was not enough to prevent leakage. I was eventually able to manipulate the hose and clamp to stop the leak, but will need to drain the system and clean up the nipple when we return home. I had already planned to switch to the new glycol when we return, but hoping this temporary fix lasts until then.

The sad part is that I didn’t find the problem before refilling the reservoir twice. Anyone having to clean a glycol spill will know what I mean.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    On the sunny side of things working on the reservoir tank... at least it is the high point of the system and you don't have to do much to prevent spillage 8^ )
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    @fstop32, that true unless you’re a dummy like me who turns the heat on and the pump moves the glycol from the low points to the leaky tank and onto the floor.  :(
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler