Options

MPG difference T@b 320 BD compared to T@b 400 BD ?

kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
For those who have towed both a T@b 320 and T@b 400 BD with the same tow vehicle in similar conditions, what was the overall Miles Per Gallon for each?

Doug K

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
Minnesota and Arizona

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I towed a 2017 320-S and a 2020 400 BDL with a 2017 F-150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. Unfortunately, I never tracked the MPG with the 320-S, but I did with the 400. The 400 driving at 62 MPH using cruise control, I averaged 10.43 on a 6000-mile trip. 

If I remember correctly, the onboard electronics showed around 14 MPG with the 320-S, but in reality it was probably closer to 13.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    My first trip in 2018 with KIA Sorento and 320S was from Salt Lake City to southeast Idaho.  Had a big tail wind and got 18 MPG.  On return trip the "same" wind was blowing and it went to 14 MPG.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    I have only towed the 400 with my Nissan Titan.  Here in Colorado and western states I average about 12 to 13 mpg on longer trips.  That's a combination of mountain driving and prairie driving, hwy and country roads.  There are so many factors involved in mpg it can be tough to predict, weather, weight, terrain all impact it so much.  One thing I learned is that I actually get the same or better mpg towing with my Titan than I did with the Toyota Tacoma I used to have.  Plus I get the benefit of having more space and a safer towing experience with the full size truck.  As I said I have never towed a 320 but I would assume that with my truck I would get slightly better mpg just based on the weight and the lower drag of the smaller trailer.  How much better I just don't know.  Probably 1-2 mpg and I'm just basing that off the fact that I get 15-19 when not towing.    
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The biggest factor in mpg whilst towing a camping trailer is your speed.  Keeping your speed at or below 50-55mph, reduces the wind drag ( biggest mpg factor, next to weight), and improves the mpg you will get.  A TaB400’s larger size and frontal area will increase drag over the 320.  The difference in loaded weight will also make a difference, especially when going up grades.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I agree the biggest factor in mpg towing is wind resistance, and that resistance increases dramatically with speed.  We travel at least 6-8 thousand miles every year, so economy is important.  Comfort is also important, and that translates to comfort in camp, comfort on the road, and comfort with our spending.

We try to plan 5 years ahead on something like this so have decided to cancel our T@b 400 BD order and purchase the T@b 320 BD instead.  It has everything we need and little we don't.  I think it will also get into remote campsites much easier. Our Honda Ridgeline is sized to handle this with ease, and gives us the storage space the T@b 320 is lacking.  

Tough decision, both terrific campers, well-built, and most surely easier to own than the very high-maintenance new Airstream trailers we have owned in recent years.  We look forward to joining the T@b community.

Doug and Cheryl K
    Battle Lake, MN and Mesa, AZ
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona