Options

Tab 400 Solar Auxiliary Port

Currently have a deposit on a Tab 400 BD and was told by a dealer that the solar auxiliary port on the Tab 400 has been eliminated. 
This is a feature that I don’t know if would have ever used however it would have been nice to have it.
Curious to know if this is a feature that is used that much since there is already a solar panel installed.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    It really depends on your need for additional solar.  If you camp mostly with hook ups, not so much.  If you Boondock and your sun exposure is limited, you are likely going to require portable solar and the auxiliary solar connection.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    I have a 2022 400 BD and the aux solar port is on my T@B.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I also have the factory SAE plug, which I use more as an aux power source (since it is connected directly to the battery), I have yet needed to deploy our portable solar panels.  It is a nice option, but easy enough to add after you get your TaB and decide you need one.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CamperQueCamperQue Member Posts: 26
    I was informed that the auxiliary solar port was actually eliminated last week and that the last unit with the auxiliary port was built earlier in the week. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Yes, different accessories in the TaB come and go, first the SAE was an option (like on ours), then it was moved to the backside and became available as standard on all builds in mod 2021, now it is gone…. Other features on the TaB have been changed by nüCamp as different approaches are tried, and parts availability seems the major driving force these days.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I recently added a solar port to our 400 after 3 years of ownership. See if you really need it in your real-world camping life.
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    We have one on our 2021 400 and have not yet needed to use it.  However I do like having the option there.  If you want to add one it is a simple install as it is wired directly to the battery.  We had NuCamp add it to ours,  early 2021 400s did not have it standard.  You could always contact them and see if they will just add it after the build is done.  The cost when they did ours was very small.  Or just do it yourself by simply drilling a small hole through the trailer and hooking the wires to the battery. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    I think they got rid of the sewer hose holder again as well.  Seems to me it has come and gone a couple times. Not sure. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply- with the changes of accessories just curious if Nucamp provides a specification sheet or the bill of materials for each vin number
  • Options
    I did not get one, got mine about 3 weeks ago.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The sewer hose storage in the trailer’s rear was eliminated in 2021, to give more room for the Alde Flo install and other plumbing bits under the rear driver’s side bunk.  Once it was omitted on the later TaB400 builds, I’d didn’t come back.some of the 2020 TaBs had the sewer storage area, as nüCamp probably was using up the pre-cut side panels.  Once they were used up, the sewer storage was eliminated.

Personally, I would give up the server storage pipe in the rear, to have the Alde Flo unit.  We missed this add on by one month.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    I had the sewage hose storage pipe in my 2019 and I also had the Alde flow so it was all fitting well at that time so I don't think they eliminated it to make room for the flow. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    I know in my 2021 the entire Alde/Flo unit has been moved further to the rear as compared to earlier models thus blocking where the sewer storage tube used to be.  Also the inverter and I believe the batteries have been pushed further back.  I think these changes along with repositioning of the axle were all done to lesson the tongue weight of the trailer.  I'd rather have a lower tongue weight than a spot in the back of the trailer to store the sewer hose.  Especially since the hose stores perfectly in the compartment on the floor of the aluminum tube.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    Now I'm curious, we've got a 400 Boondock in progress, how could we find out before pickup what things might be different, such as the removal of the solar hookup or the like?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • Options
    We have a 400 BD in progress as well and when found out that the solar port connection was eliminated made me curious if there may be other possible changes. Good question- how would find out before pickup.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @TabbyShack you are absolutely correct, it wasn’t just the Alde Flo being added, it was a combo of changes, resulting in the sewer hose storage pipe being eliminated in 2021 trailers/

When the Flo was added in 2019, the Alde boiler was moved forward from its 2018 location, to give room for the Flow and sewer hose storage pipe.  When nüCamp moved the batteries aft, then the water pump location was changed from under the closet locker, to the rear Alde area and the Nautilus added, room in this compartment became tight, and with the battery move. (the biggest reason as the batteries are now where the pipe used to be), both resulted in the sewer storage pipe being eliminated.  It was a combo of changes that resulted in the pipe going away, not just one.

Here mis is here is pre Nautilus 2020 Tab400:

The red arrow shows the sewer hose pipe location inn the 2020, blue* is battery locker, in line within the Flo next to the sewer pipe location, water pump has not been moved yet.

Here is a 2021 TaB 400 withn the Nautilus added and pump moved to Alde area:

The area where the sewer pipe was is circled in red, and is now where mthe Inverter and Flo are.  The Nautilus can bee seen lower right side.  As you can see, space is now very tight here, with these changes.

I I want to add a Flo to our 2018 TaB400, I will need to either move the Alde forward, a major re-plumbing change due to the pressure relief valve location, or cut the sewer storage pipe from the inside, leaving the outside alone, and putting the Flo behind the Alde boiler, where the pipe is now.  Eliminating the pipe, is the easiest mod to add a Flo in the older 2018s.

That said, with the new aluminum tongue box, replacing the older ABS and aluminum  tubs, the sewer hose storage pipe in the rear, while nice, is redundant as the new aluminum box has a sewer hose storage area in it.  The sewer storage is not lost, just relocated.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Seems like a nicely engineered tradeoff. Moving the light, volume consuming item (sewer hose) into the tub and using the freed up rear space with some reshuffling of the heavy items is great for reducing tongue weight.  
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    CamperQue said:
    We have a 400 BD in progress as well and when found out that the solar port connection was eliminated made me curious if there may be other possible changes. Good question- how would find out before pickup.

Ask your dealer to call his POC at Nucamp to find out about possible changes. It's rare that they make any major changes, but common to tweak things along the model year. I was bummed about the TV switcheroo but I had set my expectations fairly low in anticipation of supply chain issues.