Options

Norcold 3 Way Trips GFCI After 20 Minutes

The Norcold 3104 fridge in my 2021 Tab 400 runs fine on LP and 12 volt.  When placed on 120 volt AC, it trips the GFCI.  Here is what I have noted:

-The fridge will run on 120v for 20 minutes before tripping the GFCI.  Same 20 minutes regardless of the coldness setting.
-I have only had access to 15 amp to try the fridge.  I have not plugged it into 30 amp.
-I have tried bypassing the trailer by plugging the fridge directly into an extension cord with the same result.
-I have tried it on a number of different GFCI outlets.

I suspect a faulty element as it takes 20 minutes (heating up?) for the GFCI to trip.
Any thoughts on this?  Or should I just look for a Norcold Servicing Dealer?

It does not appear that one can access much through the sidewall vents and most work would require removal of the fridge.

2021 T@b 400 Boondock
       Oneonta, NY

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Confused here.
    On the 320 models the 3-way Fridge has a dedicated 120V Circuit Breaker.
    That is, on 320's there is no Fridge GFCI protection.

Does your Fridge have a standard power code plugged into a 120VAC outlet [like the Alde does] ?
    If so unplug Fridge, reset everything and figure out which outlets share the circuit with the Fridge.

A helpful item would be Pictures of your 400 model WFCO Power Center:
    -+- How many circuit breakers
    -+- How did nüCamp label them (label may not be near breakers)

Also, on 120AC the N41nn 3-way series Fridge draws  <= 2.5 Amps.
    The maximum draw would be on start-up and when the heaters restart based on Fridge temperature.  So your GFCI tripping at 20-minutes is weird . . .
    Unfortunately as of today no owner has created/shared a detailed (typical) 400 model wiring diagram for our reference.

The 400 Model Users Manual [version TAB400-MAN-002] only shows how the 2-way Fridge is always on 12VDC via the convertor or battery.  The manual does not include any reference to the 3-way Fridge on 120VAC power in the 120v Panel (circuit breaker) section

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    It is the GFCI outlet on my house that is tripping - not on the trailer.  No circuit breakers are tripped so it is not due to overloading.  It is a ground fault problem.  The problem happens whether the trailer is plugged in to the house or if I bypass the trailer and connect the fridge directly to the house.  
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Gherzig said:
    It is the GFCI outlet on my house that is tripping - not on the trailer.  No circuit breakers are tripped so it is not due to overloading.  It is a ground fault problem.  The problem happens whether the trailer is plugged in to the house or if I bypass the trailer and connect the fridge directly to the house.  
    Well that makes more sense.Sounds like it is time to visit your Dealer's Shop or a similar RV Repair Source.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2022
    You should try a different outlet first, and check the ground.  The house GFI may be faulty, they do fail every now and then.  Yiur can get a plug in outlet/GFI tester to check the outlet.  I keep one in our TaB tool kit.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2022
    Edit: Nevermind I just saw it happens with the fridge connected directly to the house outlet as well. Unless you still had the trailer plugged in at the same time that rules out the "double GFCI". 

This seems to be a somewhat common issue when plugging (newer) RVs into a GFCI protected outlet. It is caused by the GFCI present in the RV that causes a slight current imbalance which makes the house GFCI even more touchy (we're talking single digit mA). 
    As an experiment turn off all breakers inside the T@b except for the converter and the fridge. If it works fine then, that confirms it. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Sydmargo had a similar issue (Norcold fridge would not work on shore power) and reported it was a bad ground on the fridge causing the issue. 
    See:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15050/power-to-norcold-3-way-only-from-tv#latest

This could be a similar issues with a loose ground on @Gherzig fridge, ground coming off after 20 min.  Seems the Norcold 3-way fridge needs a good ground connection to work properly on shore power.
    Cheers
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    @Denny16, Thank you for your reply.  It does seem that the problem is a bad ground.  I guess I will have to bring it to a Norcold repair center/dealer as I don't know where to begin to look for it and it appears that the fridge may have to be moved/removed - which perhaps (?) it would require disconnecting the propane an electrical lines, etc.  
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Gherzig You are welcome, and that might be the best solution, and is what I would do.
     Cheers