Options

Locked Out!

rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
My door latch had been sticking and I told myself I should lube it.  Never did - wind blew the door shut when stuck in the lock position!

Luckily the windows were open and I was able to snag the keys hung just inside the door. 

Words to the wise!
2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida

Comments

• Options
    Omg! One of my worst nightmares!
  • Options
    Insult to injury - I had put keys in the front storage box but they got misplaced somewhere along the way. 

I’ll have to find them!
  • Options
    I keep my spare keys in center console of my tow vehicle.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I do the same as TabyShack.  Also lubing the lock eliminates most of them stiff latch issues.  After using a good lock lube on our TaB400 latch/lock, it works grand, and stays adjusted.  Door closes and opens easily, before it had to be pushed very hard to get it latched all the way.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ParlandoParlando Member Posts: 123
    I keep T@B spare keys in my tow vehicle and spare tow vehicle keys in my T@B. Also have another T@B key on a carabiner on my belt loop which is what I mostly use. Just being careful. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    A few years ago someone's lock malfunctioned while they were inside the trailer.  Since then, I always carry a Philips and blade screwdriver inside the cabin in case I need to remove the lock mechanism.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Don't even tell me that! I'd make a new door if that happened!  Haha...just kidding...well mostly. 

One of the first things I did the day I got home with new T@bbyShack.... I WD-40'ed all the key holes and locking mechanisms. It's part of my OCD regular maintenance routine. 
  • Options
    So I found my spare set of keys - in a bin locked with a key with my camper keys.   You gotta laugh🤣
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2022
    @Tabaz:  one of the first things I ever read here was the "Locked in Trailer" thread.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3884/i-am-locked-in-my-t-b

I have one set in the vehicle, one in my pocket, one in a spot in the trailer, and one in a mailer bag with my friends near home so they can be Fedex'ed to me "just in case".  
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Also, WD40 is not a lubricant, it is an water displacement anti-corrosion agent.  While,it,does have some temporary lube quality,mint is not long lasting.  You should use purpose made lock lubricant, like Lock Ease or one of the dry spry lubes that leave a lubricant agent behind in the latch and lock mechanism.  Spray the lock’s bolt also, and handle shaft here it goes into the lock.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We got locked out of our 400 this Jan when returning from a chilly hike and realized both key sets were in the camper. Fortunately we found a locksmith that got us in before we got too cold and in the process learned that the T@B door lock mechanism is pretty secure and not real easy to pick. Took the locksmith at least 15 min to get in with special tools. So I feel better about the lock now and learned a good lesson.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 985
    So far our door lock has worked well.  I'm not worried about being locked inside the trailer.  I'll just climb out the front window!  But we do keep our spare keys in the truck in case we get locked out of the trailer.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    I installed a realtor-type lock box inside my Nautilus compartment and keep a spare key locked in it.  Twice I have had to use it when leaving the camper without my lanyard around my neck.  Was grateful for the accessible backup both times...
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I keep my T@B key on my key ring with my house key and TV key in my pocket. My wife always asks me if I have my keys, my answer is the only time I don't have my keys in my pocket is when I am naked! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    luv2travelluv2travel Member Posts: 50
    Laughing a bit here, as I am the one who started the “Locked in T@B” thread back in 2016.  The square screwdriver inside the camper was my lucky tool (#2? and a Philips? Not sure at the moment, plus Gorilla Tape for temporary fix), and would allow you to at least easily take the entire assembly apart in a pinch in order to escape, and deal with reassembly in daylight later.  The night I was stuck inside, the heavy storms had created quite the lake outside below the windows, so I broke out the snacks and whiskey and made the best of my little prison😜.  I definitely now check that the screws have stayed tight. 
    2012 T@B L, 2020 Honda Passport Touring
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @luv2travel I believe it was you that had the post that made me go out and buy a # 2 square drive after reading your post! Thanks as I feel much better having it with me in side the T@B Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    A few years ago, an owner accidently locked himself in the shower when the latch went from the "up" (vertical) position, to the "locked" (horizontal) position while he was in there (I believe it was our good friend ChanW).  Needless to say, the response from other forum members was hilarious.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edaletayloredaletaylor Member Posts: 12
    TAB is sorta secure...Our friend's, Dave and Wilson, both have 2015 TABS.  They can open each others trailers with their keys...interchangeable!