Options

I am locked in my T@B

luv2travelluv2travel Member Posts: 50
hi- I arrived late in dense fog and now rain to an almost empty State Park in Michigan- I closed the door and the lock lever moved and is now just loose. I cannot open the door at all.  I will crawl out the window later when the rain stops, but I would love any ideas!  Thanks!  At least my "beverages" are inside here with me ;)
2012 T@B L, 2020 Honda Passport Touring

Comments

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I've had that happen but there's no way i can crawl out the window. I opened the window and reached out. Used a large screwdriver as a prybar and forced the outside handle open. Good luck!!!
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Thanks- just tried the leaning out with key method- no luck, but I will try with tools- I have some in here, too- yay.
    The handle opens, but not the door.  The key will turn the red knob, but there must be disconnection with the deadbolt. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Got a screwdriver? The screws for the lock / doorhandle are on the inside, you could take it apart, get at whatever's jammed I'd think. Worth a shot, what do you have to lose :-)
  • Options
    I am free!  I decided to take the mechanism apart ( what were my chances that the only screwdrivers I had inside were a medium Philips and a perfect square head ? The only things I needed:). Now I have a door I may have to duct tape tomorrow- this is day 1 of trip.  when I put the cover back on, the same problem happens.  There seems to be no easy way to keep the deadbolt from engaging when the door shuts.  It has to be slid out of the way each time I want to open door.  Where does one get this fixed? Is this a standard part? I cannot get out to Ohio.  
  • Options
    There's got to be something out of wack in there that's fixable I'd think internal screw loose/missing or something. I had mine get jammed shortly after getting my T@B but goofing around with it and realigning solved it.
    If nothing works and you're still under warranty, call Ed Kaufman the warranty guy and he can send you a new mechanism I'd think. If not under warranty call Elsie in parts - contact numbers over there to the right.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your help- In the  morning I will try to put it back together- I think there is a rod connecting the latch to deadbolt, as I think that is what I just found on the floor- duct tape for the rainy night. Time to have a drink:)
  • Options
    Bottoms Up :-)
    Keep us posted in the morning.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have always been paranoid this could happen to me...while I am boondocking. I guess Good Sam could rescue me. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Just have to keep a screwdriver handy Jenn :-)
  • Options
    Well, that was a fun activity in the rain this morning.  It was not very technical, but the sporty part was trying to gently hold everything in place without dropping screws in the mud, and having to let all the pieces go in order to go hunt in the mud for the latest dropped screw. 
    End story = good as new......for now.  Thanks T@bster and PXLated for your advice.  I was lucky to have a signal up here- nice to have this handy forum to check
  • Options
    Jenn- just saw your note- make sure you have the square and Philips screwdrivers inside:)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    luv2travel, Wow, first of all, good jail break! Second, glad 'ya got it fixed, and kept your sense of humor in the process! Plus side is, now you have a great story to share, no harm,[slight foul]. Here's hoping the rest of your trip is enjoyable, and un-eventful! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Cool - Glad you got it back together.
  • Options
    Thanks- there was the added incentive of escaping, as my T@B does not have the bathroom
  • Options
    Ahhhh - That would definetly make escaping a priority :-)
  • Options
    Yes, that was motivation!  I do have the fold up toilet packed deep in the back - for emergencies and this dilemma was still only an emergency in progress
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    With proper beverages and a good screwdriver, you can solve most any dilemma. Nicely done!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Jenn- just saw your note- make sure you have the square and Philips screwdrivers inside:)
    I actually usually don't have the tools inside, so worth noting. I might take it apart and give the guts a good cleaning in the "off season."

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
     I was lucky to have a signal up here- nice to have this handy forum to check
    Which state park were you camped/trapped inside at?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I was at Strait? Straits SP?  
  • Options
    Have you ever stayed at Wilderness SP?  It's about 4-5 miles outside Mackinaw City.  We like the park and have stayed up there a couple f trips this year.  Darrow's restaurant has great food and are known for their fish dinners too.  They make a good breakfast there but stop serving breakfast by 11 AM.  

If you are still up that way there is a big log building on the right side of the main drag when you are driving in from the west to the east.  Lots of great bargains on sweatshirts ($10 for a Mackinaw Island hoodie) and there is a small mall area back in there and a wine shop.  Fun place to shop, some great wine and good deals!  

Are you still in the north country?
  • Options
    Sounds good for a future trip-thanks!  I moved south and stayed w/friends on their land west of Grand Rapids. I am now in a friends' driveway in Fort Wayne....because, really- who doesn't think of Ft. Wayne driveways when it comes to adventure camping? :o.   Soon to South Bend, then back home to WI.  It has been a nice fall color loop around Lake Michigan.  
  • Options
    Sounds good for a future trip-thanks!  I moved south and stayed w/friends on their land west of Grand Rapids. I am now in a friends' driveway in Fort Wayne....because, really- who doesn't think of Ft. Wayne driveways when it comes to adventure camping? :o.   Soon to South Bend, then back home to WI.  It has been a nice fall color loop around Lake Michigan.  
    Wow, you are in Hoosier land!   If you are going to be staying down around South Bend you should stay a night or two down at Potato Creek State Park....  Beautiful park, quiet and there are trails to walk and bike on.   Well worth the effort and about 10-15 minutes south of South Bend.  

Image result for potato creek state park camping

• Options
    I ran out of time for the park, but your pics are great.  Next time this way I will check it out- thanks.  
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Mike, awesome picts!!!! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We are planning a trip to Michigan next year and were thinking we'd have to overnight somewhere near Flint, but Potato Creek sounds like a great spot, isn't too far out of the way, and will earn another state on our T@Bbing map! Thanks, never heard of it before! Will try to fit in 3 nights there so we can explore.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York