Options

Separate hose to flush the black tank?

Camper:  2022 400 Boondock
We're planning to make our first camping trip late next month and I got thinking about flushing out the black tank when we're packing up.  Would it be sensible to pack a separate hose, maybe one of those garden hoses that "collapse" when not in use, to hook up to the black water flush out fitting?  I'm mentally picturing the possibility of a bit of "backwash" of water (and other things) from the tank during the flush-out into the hose as a reason to not use the fresh water hose.

Or am I overthinking this / there's a backwash valve / as long as the drain for the black is open and hooked up it's not going to happen?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    You are overthinking it; I know that people will gasp but I use the same hose to flush as I use to fill. I have done this for 15 years without an issue. If you were paranoid, you could use a Clorox wipe to wipe of the threaded area of the hose.

On our 400, it seeps unless I really cinch it down which even lessens my concerns. There is a 1-way valve, plus the "sprayer" inside the tank is at the top.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We toss in an old garden hose--one of those curly hoses that were popular years ago. We use it for the black tank flush, but also for rinsing out the sewer slinky and connecting elbow after flushing. A lot of dump stations only have non-potable water for rinsing as well, and I'm not sure I'd want that water in my drinking water hose. 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    We too bought a short green garden hose for the black tank flush simply to keep things separate. Ours is only about 8 feet so takes up little space in the tub and is right along side the gloves and wipes we use when dumping. We keep our fresh water hose in the back storage.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Sorry, I failed to clarify that I NEVER use non potable water in my drinking water hose. More often than not, the dump stations I frequent either have a potable tap I can reach with my hose or there is a hose at the dump station.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    On a tangential but related note, I'm always skidgy of potable water taps located at dump stations. This started when I saw a guy rinsing his sewer hose by sticking it over the potable water tap. Blech!

I'm pleased the campgrounds in my region keep the potable water fill stations well separated from the dump stations.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    There is a check valve in the black water flush line between the black tank and the fill point on the outside of the TaB400, so water from the black tank is not going to back up into the hose.  That said, I use a small separate hose, because I’m use it to wash down the blank tank sewer hose, which can be a point of contamination.  Even then running fresh water through it, would eliminate any cross contamination after you are done.

How you want to clean the black tanks system is more down to personal choice and what makes you feel comfortable.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.