Options

Solar Panel Charging Capability

We'll be taking out T@B CSS Boondock out soon, and am curious about the solar panel keeping the battery charged.  We're mostly concerned about the fridge.  We'll most likely only use lights, and the fan and that's about it.  Any experience you can share about the solar's capability.  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    There are a lot of variables involved in your question. I’m assuming you’re referring to the factory mounted panel? Different model years have different fridges that consume different amounts of power. Different fans use different amounts of power. Actual usable battery capacity can be as little as 40-50 amp hours on some dealer supplied batteries (AGM or lithium will have more usable than traditional lead acid). Solar production in the northern half of the US differs quite a bit from the southern half, especially at this time of year. Your campsite could be shaded or full sun, or face the wrong direction. And of course, there’s weather.

Add all that up, and your ability to boondock on just solar ranges from one day to near infinite.

Best place to start is to post your model year, battery capacity and type (this is on the battery label), and general location. As an example, I wouldn’t recommend trying to boondock with the stock panel and a 100 amp hour (50 usable) lead acid battery in the northwest this week. That’s a recipe for a dead battery unless you’re using a cooler with ice in place of the fridge. But in the desert South? Might be fine.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Get yourself a really good cooler as backup. I just added 200 watts of portable I can set out in the sun and I'm betting there will be times where it won't be enough.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    There are more variables:  what battery size (in amp hours?).  What trailer do you have, and what fridge model do you have?  It is very easy to predict, with some accuracy, exactly the power needs for a day of the 12V fridges.  Many owners report how easy it is to boondock.
    So: what trailer?  What size battery?  Which fridge?
    The main variables for solar: are you shaded? Is the weather good?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    VictoriaP said:
    Solar production in the northern half of the US differs quite a bit from the southern half, especially at this time of year.
    Maybe not all that relevant to @canyoneer, but this is our first time T@Bing in the southwest. Dispersed camping here in AZ, topping off our 250ah of AGM with 200W of solar is not the problem it can sometimes be in the northeast. That’s with running the (12V) fridge, fan, lights and watching a movie before hitting the sack. We won’t miss the wind as we travel north, but not having to worry about power is a big plus.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    The CSS refrigerator is a Norcold NR740. It should only draw about 2.8 amps per hour. It is very efficient. There are many discussions concerning the 320S with the three way frige. They don't apply to the clamshell.

The Jensen receiver uses power all the time. I would advise adding an off switch. The video monitors will also draw power. We just unplug the power cord located on the left side of the monitor.

If you are worried about power, you can place frozen water bottles in the freezer and turn off the refrigerator at night. It will stay cold. An ice chest is a reasonable idea.

If you are going to camp much without external power, I highly recommend adding a shunt based battery monitor. Without one, you really can't keep track of the battery usage.

Different types of batteries is a labyrinth of choices and options based on where you are and how you use the trailer. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I added a bank of switches to cut the power to the overhead LEDs, USB outlets, Stereo, Blue-Ray, TV, etc. All these are constant drains on the battery.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York