Options

Cell Phone Booster

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I used it last weekend and had 3g without it but couldn't get a website to load on my phone. I used the booster and was able to surf and upload photos to FB & Instagram.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I've been using my earlier model Wilson Electronics version for the past couple of nights as I've been working in the trailer.  Prior to getting it set up again, my internet connection was frustratingly slow to non-existent from inside the trailer.  With the booster running, it is SO much better.   I would never travel without one.  My experience has been very good.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ok - What's you gals secrets - Just the areas you're using it in? Works some areas of the country and not others?
    What's interesting is when I've really been out in the boonies, I've had great cell and data coverage, 90% of the time I've not needed a boost. I've had less coverage in campgrounds than the stick. So far.
  • Options
    @PXLatedWhere are you putting the antenna? You might need a larger metal base.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Been trying it all over the Jeep and tapped it to the top of the T@B this last time in a campground.
    Where are you gals putting it?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Been trying it all over the Jeep and tapped it to the top of the T@B this last time in a campground.
    Where are you gals putting it?
    You need it to be on a good metal base. I think the top of the JK is fiberglass, isn't it? In the JK, I use the roof rack in the T@b, I have a window mount antenna. You probably need a metal platform for your antenna.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I've placed it in the middle of the hood in front of the tie down bracket on one trial - That's the most metal I have :-)
    The only metal on the T@B is the frame and the step.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I've placed it in the middle of the hood in front of the tie down bracket on one trial - That's the most metal I have :-)
    The only metal on the T@B is the frame and the step.
    I know. I suspect that is why you aren't seeing good results. The Technomads picked up a metal bracket for their flagpole mount. I think if you had a plain piece of metal, that would do it. I don't know that the hood cuts it, though.

• Options
    It's a 5x5 piece of metal. It's as big as most car roofs now days. You mean a little metal plate will do better? :-)
    Lisa - Where do you mount yours?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    It's a 5x5 piece of metal. It's as big as most car roofs now days. You mean a little metal plate will do better? :-)
    Lisa - Where do you mount yours?
    Yeah, but it isn't a ground plane. Check these two threads:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/cell-phone-booster-803898.htmlhttp://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79636

• Options
    I should add, that for my CB antenna, I mounted a Rugged Ridge mounting plate on the spare tire holder and ran the ground through a grommet inside to the tub.

• Options
    Why is a car roof a ground plane but the hood isn't? That first link implies that he just doesn't want to mount it on the hood so is wondering where else to mount it. I've also tried it mounted to the windshield frame.
    Guess I don't understand what makes a ground plane and what doesn't. The links to ground plane within those posts just link to antenna brackets.
    Then there's the whole where do you mount it on the T@B where there's nothing.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Why is a car roof a ground plane but the hood isn't? That first link implies that he just doesn't want to mount it on the hood so is wondering where else to mount it. I've also tried it mounted to the windshield frame.
    Guess I don't understand what makes a ground plane and what doesn't. The links to ground plane within those posts just link to antenna brackets.
    Then there's the whole where do you mount it on the T@B where there's nothing.
    Maybe the hood hinges are not completely making a continual "ground" contact to the frame. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Hinges - That would be a certainty, they're aluminum. But the front hood latch would be a contact point I'd think. Tried the frame/body on the side ahead of the door also.
  • Options
    Cheap and easy way to test, pick up a metal L bracket.

• Options
  • Options
    Here's where I'm getting confused - What the heck is a "ground" plane...Does it have anything to do with a "ground" as we think of on our T@Bs as a "ground wire" or as you suggest Verna? - Doesn't seem to as one suggestion in the Jenn link was to just epoxy a small metal plate inside the composite roof so the mag base antenna has something to grip to. Another suggestion was to attach the antenna to the metal hump inside the back hatch - how would that be different from attaching it to the front hood or sidewall. That back hump is just "metal". What makes an "L" bracket do anything?

The only weBoost instructions were to keep it away from windows or other antennas. On most vehicles that would be centered on the roof back away from a sun roof.
  • Options
    "In electrical engineering, a ground plane is an electrically conductive surface, usually connected to electrical ground. The term has two different meanings in separate areas of electrical engineering. In antenna theory, a ground plane is a conducting surface large in comparison to the wavelength, such as the Earth, which is connected to the transmitter's ground wire and serves as a reflecting surface for radio waves. In printed circuit boards, a ground plane is a large area of copper foil on the board which is connected to the power supply ground terminal and serves as a return path for current from different components on the board."

As quoted from Wikipedia. So, what ever you use must be grounded back to the frame ground. I was taught when jumping a battery to put the negative side of the cable should go to the frame of the vehicle, not to the negative side of the battery.

Possibly use a metal "L" bracket as suggested by Jenn, attached to the frame of your Jeep (or to something firmly attached to the frame), and mount the antenna from it. Wow, you guys are pulling knowledge from the depths of my brain from the 70's and installing CB radios for a CB shop;). Sorry, PXLated, I've never been familiar with a Jeep so I can't help with the exact place to mount the antenna. You'll have to be rather inventive to find the right place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - You're knowledge is astounding :-)
    Jenn has a top rack, usually those are attached to the front window brackets and I would guess that's grounded thru the body/frame and therefore the rack is grounded. It allows one to put the antenna up on the rack away from windows or the external radio antenna as specified. I don't have a rack and won't be adding one so that's out.
    Wouldn't the metal body panels be attached to the frame and therefor be ground planes? I've tried those to no avail.
    The hood seems to be the most logical place but with aluminum hinges, it probably doesn't have a good ground. As I mentioned, the hood latch attaches to other body parts that are connected to the frame so therefore should be grounded but that isn't giving me a cell bump. Could one connect a ground wire to the underside of the hood to get the necessary ground plane?

I'm still in the boonies but have great cell/data again so can't really test any of this. Will need to hit a larger town if I need parts to try for the next test so trying to get this nailed down a little.
  • Options
    My rack attaches at the windshield pillar and also to the frame in the rear, behind the bumper. It bolts on to the original parts.

• Options
    OK, PXLated, if you can find a CB radio shop (look around truck stops), they should have an antenna mount that will mount to the frame under your hood, looking sort of like a stair step to miss your hood.  They may even help with making sure you have a good ground plane, and a good frame ground.  You may have to "jury rig" the mount to accept your antenna, but if it works, all is well!  

As I recall, a lot of times we had to take a length of the shielding from the coax (the braided part under the insulation) and used it to extend the frame ground to the antenna mount. Sort of like a jumper to get the frame ground to the antenna mount. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - Could I just take some shielding from the frame to the backside of the hood and avoid the bracket - turn the hood into a ground plane?
    Jenn - Ya, I looked at various racks and how they attached but decided I didn't need one.
  • Options
    Verna said:
    OK, PXLated, if you can find a CB radio shop (look around truck stops), they should have an antenna mount that will mount to the frame under your hood, looking sort of like a stair step to miss your hood.  They may even help with making sure you have a good ground plane, and a good frame ground.  You may have to "jury rig" the mount to accept your antenna, but if it works, all is well!  

As I recall, a lot of times we had to take a length of the shielding from the coax (the braided part under the insulation) and used it to extend the frame ground to the antenna mount. Sort of like a jumper to get the frame ground to the antenna mount. 
    A good truck stop might also have them..here is what they look like http://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/equipment-by-vehicle/products/jeep-cb-antenna-fender-mount-2007

• Options
    Jenn/Verna - The thing that I don't get the 'why" of is that the body of our Jeeps attaches to the frame so should be as grounded as your rack as it just attaches to the body in front and frame in back. The frame on cars attach to the frame same as our Jeeps. The recommended placement of the antenna is on the car roof. Why would I need a special ground plane and you or a standard car wouldn't?
  • Options
    PXLated, I don't know anything about a Jeep. I do know that back in the 70's there were some vehicles that needed a jumper to continue the ground to the antenna base. So, somehow, your frame ground is not continual throughout the body. You said part of hood had aluminum, so maybe there is more aluminum than you think. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn/Verna - The thing that I don't get the 'why" of is that the body of our Jeeps attaches to the frame so should be as grounded as your rack as it just attaches to the body in front and frame in back. The frame on cars attach to the frame same as our Jeeps. The recommended placement of the antenna is on the car roof. Why would I need a special ground plane and you or a standard car wouldn't?
    Most cars have metal roofs. The Jeep is mostly fiber glass, if you have a hard top.

• Options
    Verna - The Jeeps are noted for their durable, galvanized steel body panels - rarely rust. The hinges are the only thing that's aluminum. I may try a jumper to the hood.
  • Options
    Jenn - My forth Jeep so I'm aware that the roofs are a composite. :-)
    My point though is, the hood is metal as are the side panels (bolted to the frame) - You'd think they should have as good a ground as your top rack. I could see where the hood may not have a good ground though.
  • Options
    Lisa - When you're working in the T@DA as you mentioned, where do you attach the antenna? The T@Bs have virtually no steel other than the frame. 
  • Options
    Lisa is taking vacation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN