Options

Cell Phone Booster

124»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have all my parts assembled for my flagpole / booster antenna. Need to ground the plate that sits atop the pole (as discussed earlier). I notice the ground wire from the electrical under the driver's side bench goes through the floor and is attached to the frame. If I drill a hole and attach the same way, will this be adequate? Somewhere I saw where the guy drove a piece of rebar into the ground - don't necessarily want to carry around a stake if I don't have to.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    I've reviewed this whole thread...

Jenn, which model weBoost do you have?

The 4G-S

PXLated said:
    Hmmmmm - No Jenn reports once she left Walmart and headed into the mountains - Wonder if the booster ain't a boosting.
    It worked!

I was just to bust to post. Took from weak 3G to 2 bars of LTE st my campground in Ridgway. I couldn't check email without the booster and could Skype with it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    How bought voice? Data seems the more reliable and strongest of the two. I can have good data but can't hold a call
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    PXLated said:
    How bought voice? Data seems the more reliable and strongest of the two. I can have good data but can't hold a call
    That is odd, I found the reverse to be true. I used it for voice at my brother's, in CLE, and I know o can't hold a call without it, there. While on the road we tend to Skype more than call, but it did, solidly hold voice, as well.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Have now tried my booster several times and find it usually doesn't get me more bars for voice but it holds the call without dropping. For data it seems to just stabilize whatever speed I already have.
    But boy, that little bugger draws the juice. Don't dare use it at night as it will take my battery from 12.5/6 down to 12.2 in about 10 minutes. It also gets so hot you don't dare touch the little metal antenna plug. The rest is real warm but that little plug is hot.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    PXLated said:
    Have now tried my booster several times and find it usually doesn't get me more bars for voice but it holds the call without dropping. For data it seems to just stabilize whatever speed I already have.
    But boy, that little bugger draws the juice. Don't dare use it at night as it will take my battery from 12.5/6 down to 12.2 in about 10 minutes. It also gets so hot you don't dare touch the little metal antenna plug. The rest is real warm but that little plug is hot.
    The heat is normal and part of the amplification. I have now used it a number of times and fond it significantly boosted voice and data. Took me from barely 1 bar in Ridgway State Park to a good 2-3 bars and I was able to Skype. I have really good luck with the window mount antenna. I wonder if it would be better or worse if I tried a pole mount?

Does it actually drop the battery that low or does it jump back up after you unplug it?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    It drops it. Had to fire up the gen tonight to make it to morning. I exagerated on 10 minutes but it definetly wasn't a half hour. It did drop at ten but not all that way. But even at 30, that's a hit.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I know this has been a long and intense discussion, but I've found it very beneficial as everyone's experiences vary depending on a multitude of factors. Please keep up your great observations!! Thank you all!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity - So much with cell depends on location. If Jenn and I switched locations, who knows, we'd probably switch experiences also :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Ratkity - So much with cell depends on location. If Jenn and I switched locations, who knows, we'd probably switch experiences also :-)
    That's true. It might also be connected to either phone hardware or antenna type and placement.

• Options
    I've tried every antenna location possible :-)
    Luckily in the areas I've cruised I've had excellent coverage 95% of the time so haven't needed it.
  • Options
    @PXLated I stumbled across this video recently. As an experiment, try your cookie sheet to see if a larger area of metal to reflect the signal helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDHO_kgzXc

• Options
    Funny, I need a cookie sheet just to boost enough to watch a video about the cookie sheet ;-)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Not for cell use, but I actually used a piece of metal (like a cookie sheet) to put the little magnetic tv antenna I got (the one Jenn suggested a while back). Screwed antenna in that outside plug, set the whole thing on top of my truck and pulled in a LOT of tv stations when I was in Tubac (just was trying it as an experiment - realize line of sight may have had a lot to do with the reception).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Not for cell use, but I actually used a piece of metal (like a cookie sheet) to put the little magnetic tv antenna I got (the one Jenn suggested a while back). Screwed antenna in that outside plug, set the whole thing on top of my truck and pulled in a LOT of tv stations when I was in Tubac (just was trying it as an experiment - realize line of sight may have had a lot to do with the reception).
    I have never put that antenna on anything metal, other than either the screw on an the a/c vent or anther magnet on a clip. I will have to try a piece of metal to see if I get more channels. I was already fairly happy with the channels I got for the low amount lf money I spent.

• Options
    Michele - What TV antenna (magnetic) do you have?
  • Options
    Here is another video on antennas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3-GtBZ-fc

• Options
    PXLated said:
    When I read about a piece of metal used as a "ground plane" I got a square (12x12") piece and just tried it out once. I'm sure where I was located had a more direct line of site. May try it at Coyote Howls this weekend for the heck of it.

This one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y2898U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
    ATSC WennoW 10 feet HDTV Mobile Antenna with Magnet Mount for Car / RV / Boat / Truck

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    When I read about a piece of metal used as a "ground plane" I got a square (12x12") piece and just tried it out once. I'm sure where I was located had a more direct line of site. May try it at Coyote Howls this weekend for the heck of it.

This one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y2898U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
    ATSC WennoW 10 feet HDTV Mobile Antenna with Magnet Mount for Car / RV / Boat / Truck

If that doesn't work, I know someone with Dish ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Haha Verna!  See you Friday!

• Options
    I have noticed that after lunch cell phone reliability and speeds drop off, so I have been using the booster. I Here is a with/without booster speed test. I I went from 2 bars of 4G to full bars with the booster. The bottom set of results is with the booster and the top without the booster. 

• Options
    Finally ran into a couple of campgrounds to use the booster in - Again, it didn't get me much of a boost but did stabilize and made the connection I had useable. BUT - It is one big energy hog. No problem during the day when I have plenty of solar but just now, at dusk, I had a 12.7 reading, plugged in the booser and within 10 minutes had a 12.4. Unplugged and back up to 12.6.
    A few days ago I had the phone in the booster, was hotspotting my iPad to the phone. Got done with net stuff, started reading a book, completely forgetting about the phone/booster. About an hour or two later noticed I was down to 11.9 - holy moly batman. Hooked up to the TV and charged the battery. Appears to be ok these last two days so no apparent damage to the battery but sure glad I noticed it when I did.
    That thing is a total battery hog - if you have one, be careful.