Options

Has Anyone Tried a Cantilever Umbrella?

I was wondering if anyone has tried a cantilever umbrella and secured it to the T@B tire?  I haven't had any success with the two different awnings I've tried feeding into the keder rail and dealing with a 20 foot long tent pole (bought two different All Pro Awnings, and returned two for big losses! Who are these super beings that claim they are so easy to put up!), so I'm looking at other options. 

I know they require significant counter weight to keep them from tilting over, but I wonder if you could achieve that by securing it to the camper wheel/tire?

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I have one at home and so *did* the neighbor behind me. Mine is screwed to the deck with 12 - 3” screws. Theirs was weighted & tied to their railing. Three guesses who still has an umbrella after this winter’s storms?

Aside from how heavy and awkward they are to move, like any umbrella, you don’t want to leave it up in any real wind, which to me makes it impractical for camping. I’d either go with a Clam/Gazelle shelter, or look into the Walker inflatable awning. With the inflatable, you’re still stuck dealing with the keder rail, but pumping up the tubes is mostly easier from a physical standpoint than wrestling a 20 foot pole. (I had some trouble, but that appears to have been user error, not surprisingly.)

Price, of course, is pretty awful. I’d see if another Tabber in your area has one and will let you try putting it up. Honestly, the lack of a permanent mount, pull down awning is one of the biggest unsolvable things I don’t like about Tabs.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Very good insight! Thanks very much! I was the campground entertainment last weekend trying to put up the All Pro 400 shade wing. I had someone helping me too and it was ridiculous so it's on its way back for a partial refund. 

Unsolvable is so right!!! My friend has a 400 too and the HOURS and lost money we have put into trying to find a good solution is shameful at this point. Yea so the keder rail part wasn't too bad. Needed a step stool once it got just to the left of center but that pole!!! OMG! fought with that for about 15 min and I called it. 

At this point I might as well just climb under the back of the T@b for shade. I like the clams so might do that.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @TabbyShack My problem with the Clam includes both the weight and the length when folded. I have the 6x6, smallest one they make, and I can put it up myself despite autoimmune issues that include fatigue if I’m not careful to take things much slower than an abled person does. But it’s tiny in use, and still kinda bulky/heavy when I put it in the car. Hence going with the inflatable despite choking on the price…even bulkier, but at 17 lbs, it’s lighter in weight.

Is the pole on the shade wing threaded through a pocket, or zippered in? The Isabella pole zips in and is supposedly a lot easier as a result.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    @TabbyShack - search King Camp shelters on the forum (or Hasika).  Very easy to assemble and secure with heavy duty suction cups.  You do not need poles, you can lean it against the TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The pole is threaded through and it doesn't thread easy! In fact that's the part of the process I was in when I called it quits and took it down.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @TabbyShack Another vendor,  http://martisawnings.com/ was mentioned by @Marceline in another thread recently. Possibly a better option for you since there’s no front pole to deal with?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    VictoriaP said:
    @TabbyShack Another vendor,  http://martisawnings.com/ was mentioned by @Marceline in another thread recently. Possibly a better option for you since there’s no front pole to deal with?
    I'm really happy with my awning from Marti's awning. I've also had a full Pahaque awning and a Pahaque visor. There is a trade-off, though. To make the Marti's awning stable, you really need to set up two guy wires for each of the two tent poles. That means you need to drive 4 tent pegs or stakes into the ground. I use lag bolts and use a power drill to drive them in. Obviously this isn't going to work if you're on a hard pad. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    acwilsonacwilson Member Posts: 5
    RCB, I love your awning. I am in the process of sewing my own, had intended on doing one of the eyelash/ball hat visor versions, I think I like yours better. What did you put on the three sides that aren’t keder rail? I have the three pieces of fabric sewn together at the selvege edges and am about to sew the keder rail on. I haven’t bought any tent poles yet. 
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @RCB, I've been toying with the idea that you pulled off, nicely done.  Question on the sewing: did any of it require a "heavier than normal" sewing machine to complete?  The long edge opposite the camper looks like it has something in it that is holding that curved shape, is that what you did?
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    edited May 2022
    Just catching up. So more detail on my awning in the pic above. 
    The dark sleeves running at right angle to the trailer were originally for battens to reduce wrinkles. Battens have proven unnecessary, so abandoned but the sleeves remain. The outer sleeve running parallel to the keder rail contains a three piece aluminum tube bow. There are three loops, one for each tent pole. The loops go over and under the sleeve for the alum pole with a grommet in each. The alum tube was bent to more or less match the curve of the trailer and is, as I recall, 3/4 and 1/2 tube so one slides into the other and are held in place with tube clips. As to sewing I have a portable heavy duty machine - same one as from Sailrite but several others that are identical but with different names. Mine is a Reliable.
    If there is interest I can post some pics next week when it will be in place on the trailer. The awning can be used without the curved bow, but does not look as nice.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I have the same design as @RCB no battens either. It's a bit tight when it rains for 2 and our little propane pit. But have found that many campground sites don't have a lot more width for a wider awning.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    acwilsonacwilson Member Posts: 5
    @RCB, thanks! @fstop32, I am sewing my awning with a standard sewing machine (an entry level bernina). I am using Sunbrella fabric.  I bought a bunch of heavy duty upholstery needles thinking I would break them frequently, so far I’ve not broken one needle, and I am almost finished. I even sewed the Keder rope on without snapping a needle. I did find however, that my machine can’t handle upholstery thread. I bought a bunch and couldn’t even really get it to stay on my bobbin. As soon as I am finished with my awning I will post pics here.