Options

Should i crack open vent or window when towing in heat?

Taking our first long trip tomorrow with temps in the 90s. We will be on the road for 6 hours. Should  we leave the roof vent open, or the rear window cracked open so the heat doent build up inside too much, and cause the fridge to pull on the batteries too much?
Karen and Chris
2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
Dallas, Texas
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    We've done that with no problems.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited May 2022
    I know the MaxxAir fans can be left open during travel, not sure about the Fantastik fans.  You must close your TaB windows during travel.  https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/vv/0sx23jkbra60.pdf

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/134518#Comment_134518
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If you have a vent cover/hood over the Fanastik fan, you can open it a bit safely, but if it does not have the added cover, the instructions say to close and lock it down whilst traveling to prevent damage.  Same goes for the windows.  The nüCamp stock washroom vent, however can be left open in exhaust mode without issue, including the new round pop up vent.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    We have a vent cover so the fan is always open a crack. I wouldn't ever travel with any of the windows not fully latched all the way closed.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    Denny16 said:
    If you have a vent cover/hood over the Fanastik fan, you can open it a bit safely, but if it does not have the added cover, the instructions say to close and lock it down whilst traveling to prevent damage.  Same goes for the windows.  The nüCamp stock washroom vent, however can be left open in exhaust mode without issue, including the new round pop up vent.  
    Cheers 
    Interested in this. Do you mean the hood visible from the outside? (Please, see my profile pic). 

Might seem like a weird question, but I just wanted to make sure I understood, so I don't do anything wrong. Are there any other restrictions for traveling with this vent cracked? 

I was told this should always be closed while traveling, bit it would be great if it was an option to keep it cracked.

Thanks!
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, the hood on top your vent fan unit will protect the fan’s cover from being pulled up when driving.  Airflow around it will pull air out of the trailer whilst traveling.  I am talking about only opening the fan’s cover with the crank about 2-3inches, just enough to see light under the edge of the fan, and allow,air to be drawn out.  I would not open it all the way up, as this will damage the hinge.  You do not want to stress the lids hinge.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    In reality, while traveling at highway speeds, the trailer won't heat up much at all since the convective cooling (airflow cooling) will easily keep the trailer skin "cool", even in the sun.  If you're traveling in 90 degree air, your trailer will be very close to 90 when you get to your destination.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Convective (airflow) cooling has not worked for us (try closing all the windows in your car without air conditioning in hot sun), we have needed to keep the upper vent(s) open on various campers over the years, and have added a Maxxair vent cover so the fan cover is protected from the windspeed.  

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona