Anyone Notice this Odd Design with Porthole Windows in 400?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 831
edited May 2022 in Camping & Travel
Has anyone noticed in the 2022 T@b 400 (maybe 2021 also?) that the front port hole fabric cut out is oval shaped on passenger side and round on the driver's side?  Why! Don't they know this drives OCD people nuts!  I will post pics shortly. 

Comments

  • bergger
    bergger Moderator Posts: 1,077
    edited May 2022
    Yea they made that change in 2022, possibly with late model 2021s. I checked out a 2022 and noticed this too and am glad my 2021 has the round cutout with the notches cut to operate the blinds. My only reasoning is cost and speed. It’s easier and faster to make an oval cutout which allows you to operate the blind rather than make a round cut with a square cut to operate the blind. The new method certainly does not look as clean and nice as the old method. I like the symmetry of the old way.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Denny16
    Denny16 Member Posts: 5,430
    @TabbyShack, can you post a photo of the oval porthole?
    I am curious also, and haven’t seen this mod.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Sorry. Just getting an opportunity to get the pics. 


  • Denny16
    Denny16 Member Posts: 5,430
    I think the oval opening looks better, you do not see the sides of the shade frame.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • qhumberd
    qhumberd Administrator, Moderator Posts: 881
    I agree with @Denny16

    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite towed by 2016 5.7L Toyota Tundra

  • VictoriaP
    VictoriaP Member Posts: 1,496
    @Denny16 and @qhumberd, looking at the first post,  I think it’s less about the new shape, and more about having two porthole windows with different shaped interior panels. And I agree with @TabbyShack, it makes no sense to me that they should be different.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Gherzig
    Gherzig Member Posts: 99
    While trivial - I know - placing an oval trim around a perfect circular porthole feels a bit odd to me.  Yes - a first world problem for sure.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Denny16
    Denny16 Member Posts: 5,430
    I agree, having each side porthole a bit different is odd, but you only look at one of them at a time.  The driver’s side (oval frame) porthole is also recessed inside a vertical space, so this works.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Gherzig
    Gherzig Member Posts: 99
    I retract my comment. In looking at my 2021 400, I see that the two windows never did  match.  The port side is round and the starboard side is round with cut outs top and bottom.  The oval is likely an attempt to provide easier access to the shade without cutouts as the depth from the wall to the window is much greater.  So each side having a different porthole is not new.  
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • sarahk
    sarahk Member Posts: 5
    for some one who claims ocd, you think you could have rotated your pics lol
  • Sharon_is_SAM
    Sharon_is_SAM Member Posts: 10,035
    @TabbyShack - take your photos in landscape rather than portrait and they will not flip when posted to the forum.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • I didn't know how to rotate after posting. 
  • Sharon_is_SAM
    Sharon_is_SAM Member Posts: 10,035
    Not sure what device you use, but most photo apps allow editing.  My point is that I think you took the photo in portrait view which ends up rotating when the forum resizes it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time.