Tire options for 2018 TAB 400

dyuridyuri Member Posts: 4
edited May 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Hi Everyone,

I'd been researching and shopping around for tires. I have a 2018 TAB 400 (Non-boondock. From what I found, great tire options are Maxxis and Goodyear. 

My current tires have the following specs:
ST205 / 75R15
Load range: C 
Max load 18020 lbs.

My question is, would it be possible to install the Goodyear that has a higher load range?

My current tire's load range is C with a max load of 18020 lbs. The Goodyear that I'm looking for has a load range "D" with max load of 2150 lbs

Will the higher load range and capacity be a problem for the axles, fitting, etc.?

This is the tire that I'm considering.

Thank you.
2018 TAB 400 owner

Comments

• gandegande Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2022
    @dyuri… I believe this is a pretty common replacement tire. I put those same tires on my 2018 tab 400 (non-boondock) a couple of months ago. I think the difference in load range is a difference in the construction of the tire. I don’t think there is any significant difference in the size of the tire which would lead to any clearance issues. Good luck!
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I changed to the D rated Goodyear endurance tires three years ago on my 2018 400 and they have performed without issues for 20,000 miles on the first set and I just completed a 8500 mile trip on the second set. I purchased a second set before the last big trip just in case not due to need. I had the first set mounted as spare tires (purchased a new matching alloy wheel to go along with the steel spare wheel). I took both spares on the last trip as I was going to some remote areas and wanted extra insurance. Didn’t need either spare but the piece of mind was good as we had a tight schedule. 
    I would highly recommend the Goodyears. I inflate to 62 psi cold to get the full load rating and the ride is smooth. 
    Take care.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    NuCamp recommends staying with the original load range and inflation pressure. I know it is common to step up one rating from C to D... but I don't think it's a good idea. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • gandegande Member Posts: 91
    @YanniLazarus…do you know what the thinking is behind that recommendation?
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
    Honestly, not exactly!   This is the email I got from NuCamp in response to your question about Endurance tires:

Hi Steven!

​All we recommend is that your replacement tires be the same specifications as the factory ones. The PSI we suggest will be posted on the VIN sticker on the sidewall of the unit. 

Best Regards,
    Creed Hostetler

So, us researchers are left with drawing our own conclusions.  

First, manufacturers recommend inflating ST tires to their maximum pressure. Period.  This is different from car and truck tires which have a pressure range. The sidewalls on ST tires are stiff, and require full pressure to perform- and to last.  So, if you go to a D tire instead of a C tire you are upping the psi from 50 to 65.  So?

Second, your tires (and their flexing characteristics) are a significant part of your suspension.  Higher load rated tires are stiffer, and that means more impact load to your T@B.

Third, Goodyear brags about how stiff the Endurance tire is. Given the comments above, does it make sense to buy a particularly stiff tire with a higher load rating than specified as well? 

I understand the attraction that Endurance tires have and they would be on my 320S (non- boondock) IF available in a C rated tire.   But alas...no, so I somewhat reluctantly recently put C rated Carlisle ST tires on.   Note that these tires, while C rated and calling for 50 psi, have a MUCH higher speed rating than any other C ST tire I could find... and, sorry- made in China. Best alternative I could find. 
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    A few months ago I emailed Creed about putting load range D on my 400. He researched it and said it would be fine. He wrote "Using a D load rated tire should be acceptable if the tire size is the same as the factory tires - it has a higher load capacity and PSI. Just remember that it won't allow you to carry more weight in the unit as your axle's GAWR determines that. 

2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    Very interesting. Not sure what to make of this for a 320...i was surprised to see/ hear that both the 320 and the 400 specs call for a C rated tire- the 400 weighs around 900 pounds more, right? 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The gross max weight of a TaB400 (axle limit) is 3,900 lbs.  each tire carries  half of the trailer weight, the OEM Apex load range C tire has a Max load of 2,340lbs. which gives you a total load capacity of 4,680 lbs, which is greater than the trailer’s max weight, so I do not see an issue here.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Denny16 said:
    The gross max weight of a TaB400 (axle limit) is 3,900 lbs.  each tire carries  half of the trailer weight, the OEM Apex load range C tire has a Max load of 2,340lbs. which gives you a total load capacity of 4,680 lbs, which is greater than the trailer’s max weight, so I do not see an issue here.
     Cheers 
    I agree- no issue (or question...) about C rated tires being acceptable on both a 320 and a 400.  I was actually wondering if the greater weight of a 400 made using D rated tires LESS of an issue than it might be on a 320. I still believe that a 50 pound inflated C rated tire makes more sense on a 320 for several reasons- but I promise to let it go in this thread about 400 tires!  Sorry and regards. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2022
    I think, a D rated tire would be fine on a TaB400, especially if the trailer was weighing in at 3,500 lbs or more.  You can still reduce the tire pressure by 5lbs or so, so soften the ride.  On mostly highway driving the Endurance tires make sense, and should be fine.  A lot of my camping is rural highway to dirt/gravel roads at lower speeds, so I am sticking with the off road type tires.  I tried the non Boondock road tires, and while they worked ok on some fairly smooth gravel roads, the didn’t like the rougher ones that are not as well maintained, and reduces slipping.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I've really enjoyed this "RV Engineer's" writing the last year or so. If anyone shows up in this thread from the future, here is a writer covering all the bases on tire pressure, construction etc.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Tab99977Tab99977 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for all this valuable information. I am getting ready to sell this. I am replacing the tires. Since I want the pressure listed on the Camper to be the correct pressure, I will be sticking with the C load rated tires. In the past I may have had a blowout on a different trailer because I inflated a D rated tire to 50 lbs. I assumed wrongly that it work the same way as a car. Always, as stated above, inflate a trailer tire to the pressure stated on the sidewall. So, if you do go up a rating, make sure to inflate to the pressure listed on the sidewall. If you don't inflate the tire to the max, the sidewall flex will cause the temperature of the tire to increase which may cause a blowout and damage. With the axel rated at 3,500 lbs, I will be sticking with the C rated tire.