Options

Forum Issue Using Chrome Browser

BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
I have noticed over the past few weeks that when I open a discussion thread (which appears bright "white" when the discussion is new/unread), that after I click on it and read it and want to move on to the next discusssion, the already read discussion remains white.  It will turn "gray" (indicating it has been read) only if I either open that discussion a second time and click back out of it, OR click on another unread (white) discussion.  This is only occurring when I use my Chrome browser on my laptop.  I checked for the same issue using the Microsoft Edge browser on my laptop and it works fine.

I have done all the usual troubleshooting, such as restarting the computer (which I do every day anyway), confirming Chrome and Windows are up to date, running my Norton utilities program to clean out unnecessary files and fix any registry issues, etc.  There have been some recent Windows updates that loaded automatically, but those occurred after I had already started encountering this issue a couple weeks ago.  It is a very minor issue, but I would like to resolve it since I generally use Chrome.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue with Chrome?  Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks! 
2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 449
    I've seen this with other browsers too, typically when using the "back" button after reading a thread. An explicit page refresh fixes it, which makes me think the browser doesn't get notified that the page has changed and just uses the cached previous version. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Thanks @Grumpy_G.  I did refresh the page (logged out and then back in, closed the browser, re-started the computer, ran utilities program, ran virus check, confirmed the browser is up to date, etc.)  I checked Chrome again this evening and there was another update, which I downloaded, but I am still experiencing the issue.  I just need to figure out what could be the source of the problem.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Bayliss - on my iPad, I always hit “Home” after reading a post.  What does that do for you?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I have the same issue.  Been happening for a while now.  I don't think there is anything you can do short of refreshing your browser constantly.  Seems to be a site issue, not a browser issue.  Works properly on other sites I visit.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Vanilla said they were able to replicate the problem.  I asked for an update regarding this issue.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I appreciate you making contact with Vanilla.  Thanks also to @grubbster for posting a confirmation of the issue as well.  At least the information you have both provided lets me know that it isn't my computer causing the problem.

There is not a "Home" button/tab in the laptop version of the forum.  However, I did click on "Discussions" (probably the same as "Home") and that worked, so I will switch to doing that rather using the "back" arrow in the Chrome browser.  Thanks!!

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, has Vanilla provided an update on this issue?

• Options
    @Bayliss - I requested an update and they are still working on the issue.  If it is any consolation, it happens on my iMac, too.  I just noticed it using the “back” arrow as I usually click on Home just under the nuCamp logo.  So, it has not been fixed yet.
  • Options
    Looks like this issue may be fixed now.  Anyone else confirm?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 295
    grubbster said:
    Looks like this issue may be fixed now.  Anyone else confirm?
    Yes. It is working now.
    Hmmmmmm...........I've been away from the forum for the past few months.  I've been trying to get through the zillions of new posts and this problem is still present.  Is there a trick to reading the messages once without haveing to backtrack and open them a second time to get them to be displayed as "read" (i.e., turn gray instead of the bright white?)

• Options
    Interesting, it is working for me on Chrome.  Using version 106.0.5249.119.  Maybe try updating version or clearing cache. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    My Chrome is up to date, even more recent than yours (Version 107.0.5304.88 (Official Build) (64-bit), so that does not appear to be a factor.  I keep my computer system clean and clutter-free regularly, but I will check the cache and history again.  Thanks.

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    This happens to me if I use the Chrome Back button to get back to the list of discussions.  If I click the Discussions button at the top, the list of discussions reflects what I've read.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @Horigan, thanks.  I gave that a try and it works!

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Yep.  Using the back button goes to a cached page loaded in memory, which doesn't reflect that you've read the current page.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA