Options

Norcold 3-Way Fridge Exhaust Fan Kit

Comments

• Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    I suggest that you wait if you can (if your fridge and a/c are working at least okay). It's not a major trim (just scraping 1 to 2 mm), but you still have to push (force) it into the hole. I would contact LG and see if they have received any smaller fans, or they can update this thread once they get some.

Adding a clip fan next to the A/C unit to circulate the air through the kitchen area helps a lot, too.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jennifer, it's sort of like "reaming" out the space for the fan. All they trim off is sawdust. A Dremel would take longer than their electric tool, but they were installing 4 or 5 a day at  Tearstock.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ok, will have to give them a call. Thanks, Verna!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    jkjenn said:
    Ok, will have to give them a call. Thanks, Verna!
    Jenn:  as of 8:30am MST 08/03/2015, LG is not using smaller fans as far as Ed is aware of.  FYI:  I mentioned I saw reference to smaller fans on the T@B forum and suggested to use two smaller fans.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks, Andrew.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I sent an email to the LG email address given when the vent fan was first mentioned, but never received a reply. Not sure if I should pursue or not. I'm conflicted.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I sent an email to the LG email address given when the vent fan was first mentioned, but never received a reply. Not sure if I should pursue or not. I'm conflicted.
    They have been so very busy. Give Ed another call, or you might try Elsie to see if she can have one mailed to you. Or, if you're close to a dealer, let them take care of it. The fan is very worth it--colder fridge, easier to cool the T@B with A/C or with fans. Yes, this is personal experience because mine was installed last week at Teardtock with temps in the 90's most days.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've found that email is the single worst way to contact the factory - I personally prefer email as you can explain the issue and even include pics but have never gotten a response unless Verna or Mike have alerted someone :-(
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I've found that email is the single worst way to contact the factory - I personally prefer email as you can explain the issue and even include pics but have never gotten a response unless Verna or Mike have alerted someone :-(
    And we even introduced you by name!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2015
    PXLated said:
    Thanks for the info! I emailed Elise. When I get time (currently dealing with warranty issues on a new GMC 2015 truck), I'll give LG a call. 

....edited for content.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited August 2015
    Jiro and all (@cbarnhill in particular) we picked up our T@b from Tom's Camperland last night after Andy installed the kit he got from PV. It looks great! He put the switch on the black fridge control panel like they are doing with the new units. Mickietucs, yours should come that way. He said it was his first of this particular fix but he looked at these instructions and said it was easy. It looks good to me and the fan runs, so we're very happy.

so if you want to get this done, don't hesitate. It's a warranty fix, and worked out great
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Bgualtieri - yes, Tom's had contacted the factory and said mine would come with the kit already installed (yea)!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    I mentioned the A/C problem to my dealer who was totally unaware of the issue.  They spoke to the factory and today I received the fan and switch.  Great service.
    We certainly need the frig fan and I suspect since our T@B remains under warranty that we will make an apt at the factory for it and a couple of things I would like to have done.
    Our dealer has been fantastic to work with and a great liaison withe the factory.
    Very satisfied this far.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    bgualtieri,
    I'm glad to hear that you got the fan kit installed. Did you ask your dealer to add some insulation in between the fridge and the front panel?

Jiro
  • Options
    Nope. Might have should have but didn't. 
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    skwrlyskwrly Member Posts: 1
    Can this be done with the older DM T@Bs?  I have a 2005 that is really heating up the stove top.  Thanks for the info!!

• Options
    skwrly said:
    Can this be done with the older DM T@Bs?  I have a 2005 that is really heating up the stove top.  Thanks for the info!!

On Monday, call the Pleasant Valley office (phone number on the right under contact numbers) and ask the warranty office. Even if you have to pay, it shouldn't be much if you're able to install it. It's well worth the money in saved A/C costs and comfort alone. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Just installed the fan kit.  Guess I am a lucky one, the vent with the fan slipped right in, without any filing or removal of any material.  Also, got the last 13/16 drill bit at the hardware store.  The only thing I changed, was the wires from the fan to their connecting wires, I used plug-in connectors, making it easier to change out the vent and fan, if the fan doesn't last long.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Just installed the fan kit.  Guess I am a lucky one, the vent with the fan slipped right in, without any filing or removal of any material.  Also, got the last 13/16 drill bit at the hardware store.  The only thing I changed, was the wires from the fan to their connecting wires, I used plug-in connectors, making it easier to change out the vent and fan, if the fan doesn't last long.
    Those fans should last for years. The phone companies use the same fans to cool their central office equipment, but they pay more for a plug, instead of having to wire them in.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Our 2015 is covered under warranty for this fan issue.  I have a couple of these computer fans laying around and some switches. I was perusing Tips and Tricks and come across a thread where a fan was installed from the inside buy lifting the stove top. It was a very easy to do without removing the outside vent. Two screws hold the fan and all the wires and switch are easy to access. If you would like to do the retro fit your self it was very easy and took about half an hour. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just a quick report from our first time out using the fridge fan - it keeps the counters and front of the rig nicely not hot. The fan is a bit loud - louder than the converter fan - and I'm not sure we should run it 24/7 so we turned it off at night. The fridge is holding nicely at 38-40 like you'd want, even though our site is full sun (Fool Hollow State Park, Show Low AZ). But we didn't have any problems with the fridge itself on shore power before, even in triple digits.

high recommends for the park - we're here all week and I'm loving this vacation! Pine trees and cool breezes and lake views. Oh yeah, and zombies who take pictures as they drive by!
  • Options
    This is our site. We have the windows down because the AC is on -- and keeping up just fine!
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Hey BGAULTIERI.  I have to take my T@b for warranty work back to Tom's in Tempe (4 hour trek from home) any suggestions for CG to the West of Tempe, heading back towards CA for a couple nights after the repairs are done, that have a lake or shade and power hookups? I have searched and searched and all the state parks/CG/non 55+ options seems to be a couple hours to the NE of PHX metro area which is the wrong direction for me (would make my drive home 6+ hours).  I could stop again in Blythe, CA (about half way home for me) which is on the Colorado River, but boy is it hot at no elevation...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Since I live east of town and with the hot weather been camping north and east mostly, I can't say too much about west.

PXL said Lake Pleasant was good - I've only been there once, but that was about 3 yrs ago and with all asphalt sites and very little shade had rejected it for tent camping. It does have water and electric hookups and is a state park so you can reserve sites, so you might consider it in the T@b.

I think I've looked at Lake Alamo which is west of town and another state park (our faves here in AZ so far). But it's not super close to the 10 and they're still calling for triple digit temps - you'll give that AC and fridge fan a good workout!
  • Options
    White Tank Mountain Regional Park is on the West side, west of Goodyear, AZ. No trees, lots of cactus, gravel sites, electric st the sites (can't remember if there was water at each site), clean restrooms, dump station, great views of the valley and of the Air Force base. I stayed there three times during the winter. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yep, not much shade at Lake Pleasant for the T@B so maybe not good in summer time - I was there in January.
  • Options
    mnpilotmnpilot Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the Pleasant Valley or Norcold is covering the cost of the fan and installation? What are others paying for the dealer to install the fan. Thanks.
  • Options
    It should be free to you, if you have one of the affected models. Pleasant Valley is covering the cost of the fan kit with vent, and the installation of the kit and switch.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    It was free to us and the technician (at our dealer) got the kit from PV and when he sent proof that he installed, they paid him. Little Guy certainly stands behind their product. I couldn't be more satisfied.