Options

All pro Shade Wing Visor too difficult to slide into molding/trim

We bought the Shade Wing Visor from All Pro, and with great difficulty, managed to get it slid in about halfway, and decided we might be going about it wrong, or may not want this kind of hassle every time we set up camp.

does any about have any tips or advice? Soap the edges?

With the force needed to slide it at the max height of the roof, does this mean we have to carry a 4 foot ladder with us from now on? We are close to sending it back. 

Called All Pro and they said the the screws that attach the molding often spinout before screwing in enough, so their heads stick out too much, and it is best to punch them in with a hammer and a punch! Wow.

Karen and Chris
2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
Dallas, Texas
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey

Comments

• Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    Wow!!!,Hammer And Punch Hmm they should be ashamed of themselves ! We have a 21 boondock 400 and have the awning. Had problem check my post what I ended up doing was get a  thin screwdriver got it from Amazon and screwed them in but the heads are still a little proud goes in and it’s a little bit of a struggle but not bad and yes I think I will be carrying a 4 foot ladder to reach the top it’s sad but true It is a quality product .The problem as I see it is when the keder rail was installed with the wrong type screw. I don’t know the trade name.

Ed &Cathy 
    21 400 solo boondock
    16 Taco Trd sport 4x4
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited May 2022
    I have the same issue with the shade wing on my 320S BD. You certainly can check to see if the attachment screws are the issue and if they need to to be tightened, I'd use a screwdriver, not a hammer and punch!
    In my case, it is the Keder rail itself that is the culprit; it's just a tad too narrow in many spots. The long-term fix is widening it but that's a challenge as it is very easy to gouge or deform the aluminum rail. In the interim, I've had success with the shade wing by lubricating the rail. Soap works but needs to repeated often as it washes away. I now use a modified homemade bicycle chain lube that is longer lasting. The lubricant is equal pars candle wax/lamp oil/xylene but for this application, I use only candle wax and lamp oil. I have a cheap aluminum folding stool that allows me to reach the upper arched part of the run.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    My advice.....return it for a loss of the restocking fee and return postage.  That's what I did after spending about 30 minutes fighting with it and I had a helper. I was more than happy to get $414 back of money otherwise wasted! The kedar rail part wasn't the biggest issue it was the 25ft tent pole and trying to fish that through the front seam. Wayyyyyy more effort than I was willing to put out.  
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    Different camping styles require different solutions. We started with the All Pro Sun Wing Visor but for our minimalist approach to TAB’ing it proved to much. We downsized to a “home crafted” visor. Smaller, lighter,easier to set-up/take-down with adequate shade. IMHO I think the difficulty is setting up the All Pro visor is a combination of size and keder rail screws protruding out to far. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    Silicone spray is a good option for lubricating the keder rail, and it really makes a difference.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 76
    thank. Discouraging and disappointing. I have been using an ARB awning for many years on my Land Cruisers. I wish i could attach one of those!
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Adding to my frustration, I only bought the shade wing after posting a question on here "how hard is this to put up" and responses were "it took 10 minutes by myself" "very easy" etc! Who are these super people! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    This is what I bought right after the shade wing fiasco and it's a nice compromise. Lowes $89 plus $45 for the base. 

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited May 2022
    We have an All-Pro Awning; all I can say is that it is designed and built very well. It withstood a direct 50 plus MPH wind for several hours before we could take it down. The umbrella @TabbyShack used would have been long gone with 15 mph winds.

As far as installing, my wife and I can do it without a lot of effort. In fact, we only have installed it once which was followed by severe winds a day or so later. It would be nice to have an awning that was similar to other RVs, only for ease of deployment and retraction but that is currently not an option from NuCamp.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    We had the shade wing visor for our 400 as well. I felt like Lucille Ball in a comedy skit trying to get the crazy thing on alone- but it was quite entertaining for the campers nearby! The second time we put it up one of the rod sections broke and we had to get a replacement.  I’m not a fan!
    Now the All Pro Awning is a different story. We put it up together in 10-15 min and that thing is solid! (Alright in all honesty we had a bit of a time with it the first time we put it up. It’s one of those marriage ‘incidents’ we laugh about now, but at the time… 😳)  Second time it was a breeze and as a bonus we were still talking to each other when it was up. 🤣🤣👍 
    mary
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Xdr......your experience is exactly like mine. The entertainment for my fellow campers! I had the All Pro Awning before the shade wing.....also returned immediately after my dad and I fought with it for 1 1/2 hours. 
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    I can certainly empathize with many of your experiences. I have used our All Pro visor twice so far.

The first experience was so frustrating and I was like TabbyShack ready to return it (actually ready to rip it to shreds and send the pieces back)! I followed someone’s video and I thread the visor through the keder rails first then inserted the poles. I had no issue with the keder rail doing it this way, but getting the poles in was a nightmare!

The second time I followed the included instructions and inserted the poles first but it was more challenging to thread the visor on the keder rail with this giant kite! My biggest issue was it would actually pop out a bit and I would have to back it up and re-thread. It was indeed a heck of a lot of effort - I had so many cramps in my fingers later! - but it did only take about 15-20 mins to put up with my wife helping.

So for now - I’m keeping it! It may have been a lot of effort to put up, but I felt the return was worth it - at least for multiple day stays (I would not put it up for one day). We had torrential rain and storms and this visor didn’t budge (I tie it down with Camco awning anchors)! And it kept the area in front of the trailer dry and provided much needed shade in the heat and humidity. So for now, I will just have to meditate before putting it up - or maybe take a shot or two of bourbon! - and suffer for 15-20 mins because I really do like it once it is up.

Kevin