Options

Glycol Reservoir and Losing Glycol

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
Something I've noticed...just returned from a week long trip using the Alde heat quite a bit. Fluid was filled halfway between min/max. Checked during trip as well and was fine (once glycol cooled). Upon our return I noticed the level was down a bit. But I also noticed that the overflow tube had some glycol droplets in it indicating either the glycol had expanded enough to overflow....OR the bouncing around of the trailer sloshed the glycol and some exited the overflow tube. Just a thought on why some people are seeing the level in the reservoir go down. 

I'm fairly confident I don't have any leaks in the system so this could explain glycol loss. 
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    A little glycol volume is lost when using the Alde quite a bit, it has water in it, and some evaporation occurs, as well as any trapped air bubbles are released, which causes a little fluid loss.  I always carry a quart of glycol around to top it off.  The level is also a little lower when the Alde is cold and expands a bit when heated.  The mid level is where it should be when warm.  Once is cools, the level drops about 1/2-1 inch, which is normal.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Yeah, I filled it halfway when cold so my guess is some loss happened through the overflow. It's maybe down a half inch now.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Thr sounds about right for a cold level.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @manyman297, your glycol level should be at about 1/2" above the "minimum" mark.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    I recently had the Century to Rhomar change done.  When I checked on the glycol level after bringing the TAB home and the unit was cooled off, the glycol level  was at minimum.   Today, prepping for an upcoming camping trip, I noted it was again at minimum.   However, after running the system a bit and heating the cabin (noting the glycol was undulating inside the reservoir), the level was solidly between the min and max lines.  30-40 minutes after turning the Alde off, the level dropped to about a 1/2 to inch above minimum.   I am going to wait for it to really cool off and see if it goes down to minimum again.  Very much still learning.   
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    We lost a quite a bit of Alde fluid on one trip.  Enough for us to have to buy some.

The air bleed valve was gunked up and was leaking.  I could see the fluid drip out of the bleed line under the camper.

To get home I just put a clamp on the bleed hose.  This sounds dangerous, but the air bleed valve just lets errant bubbles out of the system.  The Alde is an ambient pressure system.  So don't worry about blowing anything up with this expedient fix.  Think about how the reservoir is just open to the air.  When I flush my system, I noticed the reservoir acts very much a place for bubbles to escape.  So even with a clamped air bleed line air can still escape the system.

I ordered two.  I replaced the bad one and I now carry a spare and some Rhomer water.

I can send some pix if it is deemed useful.

Bill
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I can send some pix if it is deemed useful.
    I'm going to say that any time you can send some pictures would be very welcome. I think I know what you are talking about from your description, but a picture always makes it clearer.

Thanks!
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    @MadCityJack What you're seeing is normal. The level will rise when hot (because the glycol expands) and lower when cool just like antifreeze in your car. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    As per Truma reps, you can safely at distilled water to the over flow tank to top off. If I remember correctly 8-12 oz of distilled is ok. Just make sure it's distilled.