Options

2017 320 boondock - battery not connecting

Good Morning

Fairly new owner, bought last year. Setting up my 320 Boondock for season. Re-installed the batteries after a winter on trickle charger. Everything is in, looks correct, but no power. Batteries show 6.31 volts, wired pos to pos, neg to neg, red on pos, black on neg. Shore power works, solar shows charging, breakers are good, fuses are intact. What do I check next? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    Welcome to the Forums. Tell us about  your "batteries", or send us a photo of your battery wiring setup.  Check the fuses at the battery. If the batteries are wired improperly, they will blow.  A picture will really help.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    As you use "batteries" (plural) and the batteries show 6.3V I'd guess these are golf cart batteries. In this case you need to wire the batteries with one pos to neg connection and then connect the trailer to the remaining pos and neg posts. But only after confirming these are GC batteries, don't do this with 12V batteries. 
  • Options
    Greg042Greg042 Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Did you check the voltage before wiring into the TaB?
    How did you check the voltage?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I have a volt meter. I tested the each battery pole to pole, installed them and tested battery to battery.

I am trying to figure out where to test inside the trailer (trailer side of the disconnect). I am also trying to figure out how to test the disconnect. The battery box prevents easy access, so I may have to pull one battery and then test.

• Options
    I have pulled the disconnect and tested it. I have switched the polarity. I have checked all the fuses. Still no power.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Check the junction box?  (Compliments of Bayliss and ScottG)

• Options
    I have opened the box. Everything is attached properly.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Would it help isolate the problem by hooking up the 7 pin to your running tow vehicle and seeing if you can turn on the TaB lights?
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Ok, the batteries are wired correctly (didn't sound like it in the initial post). As you have a voltmeter it's just a matter of checking along multiple points: Each battery should have 6V, across both batteries at the trailer connections 12V, positive trailer connection (red) to chassis metal 12V, then check both sides of the 30A fuse (12V to ground), then inside the power center both sides of the polarity fuse should read 12V to ground. 

The fuses have a little exposed metal at both ends that the voltmeter probe can make contact on. 
  • Options
    Damaged battery cables?
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2022
    @Greg042, maybe some corrosion inside the 30A inline fuse holder (or the other inline fuse holder) that are visible in the photo?  Maybe check for continuity on both sides of the wiring to the fuse holders to see if there is power on both sides of the fuse holder.

Also, in your photo of the two batteries, it looks like you have at least one wire connector (butt connector) or other type connector joining/splicing wires together (there appears to be one on the "+" cable on the right battery in the photo.  The problem may be in one of those locations.

AND, as @Sharon_is_SAM suggested, check along all the wires leading from the battery for any breaks in the wire, including wire hidden inside the plastic wire loom covering those wires.  All it takes is one broken wire.

Other than that, a bad ground connection to the trailer? 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)