Options

Who has successfully slept with their head under the cabinets of a 320?

CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 136
edited May 2022 in Products and Accessories
Who has done this without banging their heads on the cabinets of doom?
Even my grandson banged his wee head.
We gave up and now sleep with feet under them!
Perhaps NuCamp could raise them a tad!

Brent

(Edited title for clarification.  Moderator)
2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
Toronto, Canada

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Oh I see you have a 320....I was trying to picture it and thought you meant the counter top at first on my 400.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    When shopping for my trailer
    . . . I asked the salesman to leave me alone for an hour or so to 'play house' in the 320S . . .

Tried to do all the everyday life stuff like cooking, showering, sleeping, and just rainy day relaxing with a good book.  For sleeping discovered that; No Way Would My Head Be Under the Rear Cabinets.
    And found that sleeping wheel-2-wheel with a slight diagonal position was very promising.

Of course being a solo traveler helps.
    { yet, when my lady-friend visits we seem to be just fine wheel-to-wheel ? }

Also, discovered if by taking my shoes off I could stand up straight, within a limited range, which was the final item to cause me to buy.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    Don’t the cabinets in the 2021 320 and later models extend further down toward the cushions as well?

I sleep wheel to wheel, because my issue with sleeping under them in the 2019 was more one of claustrophobia until I changed out my 2” topper for a 5” setup. This last trip, sleeping wheel to wheel meant bonking my hand, arm, or head every time I turned over in my sleep. I need to retrain myself to sleep more diagonally. Or to not move as much!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I do. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    We did when we started with our DM 320.  Did bang our heads a few times.
    In my first remodel in '07 I removed the rear cabinets to eliminate that issue (very little usable storage anyway). We have since utilized the twin bed arrangement with our heads to the rear of the T@B.

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We do.   Raise the cabinet doors up at bedtime.

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited May 2022
    The new 2021+ 320S have bigger cabinets and I believe hang lower. We appreciate the space. I live with it underneath (w/ door up) but not my wife who sleeps opposite and we also don't pull the slats all the way out (2 twins). It's a tradeoff for NuCamp and the tear drop form, I believe it's a good one as we need all the storage we can get. We'd probably trade up to a new T@DA if they still made them (Alde, Bath (cassette), slat slide outs for bed). We are not impressed with the 400. Sorry these last comments belong in a different thread...
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    @Chan. 🤣😂🤣😂
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I usually hit my head once at the beginning of each year's first trip.  That's all it takes to knock some sense into my brain.  Unfortunately, my short term memory is programmed for one year max.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @ChanW, I have both of those items and I use them together whenever the wife and I get into "serious discussions"  :p   
    We do sleep head under the cabs and after cracking my gargantuan cranium a couple of times I took a round-over router bit with a bearing guide and cut the 1/4" off the bottom of the cab frame.  The inside edge is now gone and flush with the cab bottom and the front edge has a nice round over edge to it.   That took the "bite" out of it.  I'll still bump it sometimes but at least when I do it doesn't require sutures.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, my head muscle-memory will never remember the A-C cabinet, and its edge is metal. Argh.
    I can see the A-C unit flying out the door any day now!
    @fstop32, @Michigan_Mike :#
    Bayliss said:
    I usually hit my head once at the beginning of each year's first trip.  That's all it takes to knock some sense into my brain.  Unfortunately, my short term memory is programmed for one year max.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    This Forum would be such a dull place without Chan's great sense of humor.  He nailed it again!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We have slept with our heads under the cabinets for over 500 nights and only bumped our heads a couple of times.  Sure makes it easier to use the bathroom in the middle of the night when you don't have to crawl over your spouse.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2022
    Heh! I'm the one that gets up in the middle of the night, so I get to sleep near the door... (So far!)

(@Tabaz, thank God for funny. Especially in the Tab world! To paraphrase a wise alien (?) 'we laugh because it hurts too much to cry'?)
    T@Balong said:
    We have slept with our heads under the cabinets for over 500 nights and only bumped our heads a couple of times.  Sure makes it easier to use the bathroom in the middle of the night when you don't have to crawl over your spouse.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    True that @T@Balong!  I believe initially our main reason to do side by side separate beds was the ease of getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night, especially since we have to negotiate our way around a 75lb black German Shepherd  :D 
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    RomanaRomana Member Posts: 30
    My wife seems to manage it. Me not so much so I scootch forward a little and it's ok, but my feet hang over.
    Romana - 2005/6 Thor T@B T16
    Towed by 2003 Toyota Tundra Stepside
    Port Townsend, WA
  • Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 88
    kottum said:
    We do.   Raise the cabinet doors up at bedtime.

This
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    I hit my head, but not that hard.  I typically slide down and hang my feet over the end of the passenger side to minimize my head under the cabinets.   I've hit my head harder going out the door.  I will put up some pipe insulation...
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin