Options

Has anybody got any info on 2023 T@B 400's ?

Comments

• Options
    HackjazHackjaz Member Posts: 6
    @Denny16 Yes, we were told that the small fold down bunk was to appeal to parents/grandparents wanting to camp with young children. We were told that it folded out of the way & wasn't really noticeable when not in use or we could use it as a shelf. We decided we’d rather have the window & bought our 2022!
    2022 TAB 400 BD, 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500, Iowa
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    Yikes, I hope that bunk is optional. I'd hate to lose either porthole window. We're a three person family (six year old son) and I can't see having more than that comfortably in the 400. The dinette is pretty easy to set up as a bed and having a bunk over that seems extremely crowded. Interesting to see how they execute this.

They really need to get to work on that larger T@B to fill the void. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    richardspahnrichardspahn Member Posts: 17
    My delivery date for the 2023 Tab 400 Boondock with lithium package to Princesscraft in Austin Texas is mid to late September. I like nuCamp's changes have simplified their production and supply chain in several instances like only having Battleborn lithium 100 amp batteries either 1 or four. Only two inverter chargers. 

• Options
    Melanietab400Melanietab400 Member Posts: 10
    Dying to know about the supposed bunk and the redesigned sink.. the bunk better double as cabinets or we are going to have issues. I have no idea how they are going to pull this off… and I am skeptical at best… I wish that was an option and not standard. I don’t want/ need a bunk.. our 2023 is being built in august.. no idea of delivery timeframe. If we don’f want it when we see the changes we aren’t obligated to buy it. My dealer is the best.. then again we have spent a small fortune there on trailers and truck accessories..🤷🏻‍♀️ haha 
  • Options
    rebecca_waderebecca_wade Member Posts: 1
    Our delivery for the 2023 tab 400 is set for delivery middle to end of September, really anxious to see the new re-designed dinette conversion, reconfigured bath, and overhead bunk area and how nuCamp is incorporating the hidden bunk.  I am a huge fan of the Lagun table so that’s a plus. If anyone has any internet leads or photos of the new changes would be awesome to see! Otherwise waiting for dealer to provide the latest information, to date they don’t have!
  • Options
    HackjazHackjaz Member Posts: 6

We picked up our 2022 TAB 400 BD from our dealer last week and promptly spent 2 nights in it to make sure everything was in working order before leaving town. We stopped back by the dealer on our way out of town to have them look at a few quirks we discovered: When the folding kitchen faucet was operated in the fully vertical position it somehow caused a small drip under the sink—they installed a new faucet that fixed the issue. And the sliding screen door was kind of hard to use—they pulled it out, lubricated it, adjusted the tension, & reinstalled it. Both very minor issues, but it's nice to have them fixed already!

While there, I asked if they had received any new information on the 2023 TABs, specifically the newly designed dinette/fold down bunk. They said that they had not heard anything new since we had been there a month previous. Of course nüCamp had been closed for half of that time for a 2 week break as well as line changeover/retooling. The person we asked (not our salesperson) said that they were told about about the redesign/fold down bunk during a factory tour they were on when they picked up our TAB, but were told that it wasn’t ready to demo yet. They said the prototype was mocked up & sitting there, but when they asked the tour guide about it they were told that they weren’t supposed to see it yet & were ushered along. The person we spoke with at our dealership made it sound like it was still a work in progress and it was possible that it wouldn’t even make it into the 2023 TABs.

As more people order, put deposits down on, & receive expected delivery dates for 2023 TAB 400s, I’m wondering if anyone else has received any new info. Bonus points for photos! 😉 When we were making our buying decision, our salesperson almost got his sales rep to send him a photo of the new bathroom vessel sink!

2022 TAB 400 BD, 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500, Iowa
  • Options
    jag0130jag0130 Member Posts: 10
    I’ll be picking up my 2022 TAB 400 next week. I decided not to wait for the the 2023 for a few reasons, but mostly the the new standard bunk many are talking about. I did speak with someone from nucamp customer service, who was extremely helpful and kind. No pictures and they still call it a prototype, but she did provide the following information on the 2023 model:
    • The 2022 Second Sleeping Area is 30 X 74
    • The 2023 Second Sleeping Area with the Bunk in the Upright position is 30 x 74
      • If the Bunk is down the Second Sleeping Area is 23 x 74
    • The 2023 wet bath is approximately 12 square feet
    She also said that it would be hidden behind the cushions in the front and I believe that the portal window on the drivers side will be gone, as well.  
  • Options
    richardspahnrichardspahn Member Posts: 17
    You'll note the 2023  is only one wooden box design, simplifying and streamlining assembly with fewer modules at each station. The only options are more batteries and wiring, and paint design at separate stations.  It's called Work Simplification and saves thousands of hours to pay for higher material costs and parts prices and higher wages in a competitive market, 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Very nice, particularly if you have smaller kids for the bunk area. Thanks for the nice pictures and welcome to the forum. Enjoy and post to let others know how its working for you!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @thesash thank you so much for the pictures!! Seeing the battery compartment is a great help. I did not opt for the 400ah package but will add a second 100ah, so now I can see how it all fits. It's normal for the lid to be screwed down from factory, also the lid over the Alde (at least it used to be). Too bad they didn't add struts to the lid. The drawer is new and I'm so glad!

Do you think the bunk could be removed?

I suspected the leg room on passenger side looked tight. 

Thanks for the tips for inspection upon arrival! Congratulations!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2022
    I see the wire management in the battery area is still a tangled mess!  I feel nüCamp needs to improve their wire management, taking a cue from the marine industry.  Wires should be grouped snd cabled up into bundles, not a bunch of loose wires going every which way.  Otherwise, the new TaB looks nice.  Is the toilet a cassette type or still using a black tank, which the specifications list’s as 12 gallons?
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Personally think the bunk is a complete waste of space in a small trailer that many buyers will never have more than two people in. And the table is just too small - I really like the previous design a lot better.
    I do like the new shelf cubbies along the dining room drivers side wall though...those will be very handy.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    thesashthesash Member Posts: 2
    @Denny16 bunk could easily be removed — the hinge has an opening that would allow you to pull it up and off the bolt. Not sure how that would affect the nesting of pillows though. Toilet is still on a black tank

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Thanks.  Whilst the new 2023 TaB400 has some interesting new features, like the new lithium battery option.  For someone hauling some young children around, the new front bunk option will be handy to have.
    That said, I think I will keep my current, original TaB400 for a while longer…  B)  
    Cheers
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    I'd kill for that lithium battery option to power our AC. And the drawer under the bed would be really nice. Love the 2-way fridge. I think many will welcome that even at the loss of the wardrobe.

The bunk is a huge hangup for me though. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a child up there with that tiny railing and given how delicate the interior of the camper is, I'm sure flailing legs could kick some upper cubbies loose.

And the tiny dinette table is counter productive to adding more sleeping space. Now you can sleep 4 people but it looks like that table would barely hold a couple of plates. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Not a fan of the bunk or redesigned dinette/table either.  Glad we have the old style. But yes I do like the new cubbies and the bathroom looks better than I thought. I’ll have to see if I like it better after I can actually get into one. I talked to a NuCamp engineer yesterday at an Overland show where they had a 2022 400 with the new fridge. I really like the compressor fridge except that it is black and not stainless. He said he was upset over that too but the decision to go black was nothing he could  influence. He did say the new fridge could be swapped in to replace the 3-way but you may have to do some work to cover a slight gap around the edge of it. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Nice video showing the 2023 400.

https://youtu.be/QaFAfsgaTAs

--Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Here's another video recently posted by Mandy and Kendrick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijE4xITsn7s
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Dry tongue weight is now 390#!

Based on my current gear + side tubs + propane and measured tongue weight with the Sherline scale, I'll be close to 500# without water on the 400. Oh boy am I glad I bought the F-150! 
    Debbie in Oregon

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Water tanks are not going to increase tongue weight any significant amount as it is centered on the axle.  At 400 lbs on a 3500 lb loaded trailer, you are just at 11.5% of your weight on the tongue, the bare minimum.  A 500 lbs tongue weight puts you at the 14% sweet spot for best control.  Our 2018 TaB400 empty, with water tank at 50%, and an empty propane bottle, we are at 400lbs tongue weight.  The bunk bed mod seems to have added weight up front.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @dsfdogs Honestly, the first thing I’d do on arrival is figure out how to remove that bunk bed. It’s bulky, as Denny notes it’s probably adding at least some excess tongue weight, and it’s pointless for anyone traveling with fewer than two small children. (Though seeing Kendrick on the top bunk was highly amusing!)

It’s a clever design, don’t get me wrong, but by not making it an optional “upgrade”, nüCamp may have shot themselves in the foot with that one. I can’t think of a single case where parents of more than one child that I personally know, who bought RVs in the last five years or so, settled for anything less than permanent beds for everyone. I’m not sure most parents are going to want to have to put that thing up and down every night, and potential buyers without kids/grandkids to make use of it are likely to be annoyed by the waste of space & weight. Hopefully part of that “disappearing” function is easy removal from the trailer altogether.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I too wonder about the bunk practicality. But I do like the "U" shaped seating and back rest and storage under the middle seat section, plus the Lagun mounted table and squared off seating.

I speculate much of the added tongue weight is from the removal of two 6-volt batteries in lieu of the 31# Battle Born battery. It will be interesting to see if the bunk can be removed. 

Thanks for the info on water tank location.
    Debbie in Oregon

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Victoria, I didn’t say the bunk added excessive weight, just the opposite, the tongue weight comes in around what it should be, and is only 11% of the total trailer dry weight, so pulling an empty trailer, you are at the minimum tongue weight you need to have.

As for the batteries, yes, switching to a lighter lithium will decrease the tongue weight a small amount, but not much.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    edited September 2022
    Do the back-rest cushions now do double-duty as the mattress for the lower bunk?  No more extra cushion to find a space for?
    And where are the 120V and 12V fuses?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Seems they do.  No more storing an odd size fill,in cushion.  That said, I sue the fill I. Cushion as a head board in the rear bunk.

The AC circuit breakers and DC fuses are on the galley side under the counter, same location as the 2022 TaB 400.  It is the dark panel shown in the Mandy Lee video above.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    I had the opportunity to see a 2023 400 up close when I brought my 2021 in for the Glycol change. My reactions FWIW-
    -I like the new bathroom.  It felt somehow bigger and roomier to me.  
    -The new dinette didn't appeal to me.  I really like my dinette including the odd shaped table.  The new table is quite small and the seating is also smaller.  For me, the squareness of the cushions and seats felt less cozy than the older style.
    -The draw under the bed is ingenious but then you realize that more than half of that storage space is lost due to the batteries' relocation.  This winter, I plan to add such a draw to our T@b as we hardly use that space because it is so hard to access.  
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    rh5555 said:
    Do the back-rest cushions now do double-duty as the mattress for the lower bunk?  No more extra cushion to find a space for?

There is still an extra cushion to stow. When the bench back flips to upper bunk mode it leaves a gap about 8" wide x the length of the bench. That area is filled by a spare cushion. This cushion has to go somewhere when in dinette mode.

The full lineup was on display at the Hershey RV show (where the above posted videos were filmed). There were two 400s, one in bunk mode and one in dinette mode. Also the Barefoot, 320, Tag and Cirrus campers were in the display. We had a chance to 'try them all on for size'.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @Gherzig, you do realize on your 2021 TaB 400, there is a wire and plumbing chase going along the front of the rear (under bed) storage area.  You would need to relocate and re-route all the AC and DC wiring, and the hot and cold water lines to the galley.  The 2018/2019:TaB 400 had a false floor in the rear storage locker, with the plumbing and wires running between the rear locker floor and the trailer floor, so you could add a drawer to these two models.

Here is the 2021/2022 TaB 400 rear storage arrangement:

The red arrow points to the wire/plumbing chase in the front of the undear bunk storage locker on the 2021/2022 TaB400.  The yellow arrow points to the wiring going through here and the water lines below this (red /blue pex pipe in bottom.  Adding a drawer here is not a trivial task.

This is a 2018/2019 TaB 400 under bunk compartment where the battery is located.  The front is just a single piece of birch ply, shown behind the battery cable circled in red.  The red arrow on the right shows the battery and connection buss box (small black box) stick out into the under bunk storage area (red line at top shows the storage area original side location).  The battery and junction buss box would need to be relocated I order to put a full width drawer here, or make a narrower drawer, and divide the rest of this area off, which access from the outside storage locker.  The area under the green arrow is where the plumbing and electrical wires are located under the compartment’s false floor.

Cheers 
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    @Denny16
    Thank you, Denny.  As I said, we don't use that area because it is too difficult to lift the mattress, and toppers, and sheets and blankets to do so.
    Which explains why I was not familiar with the wiring/plumbing chase.
    One less project to worry about.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY