Options

Snap on cover over AC inlet, on or off when towing?

Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
While I think we left it on the last time we moved the trailer for backing practice, that was all surface streets.  This weekend (fingers crossed) we're taking it to a friends to driveway camp and that means...
Freeways.
So, cover on or off when towing?

(2022 T@B400 Boondock)
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Jake_Elwood_and_usJake_Elwood_and_us Member Posts: 40
    I have heard it both ways. Yes from the forum and no from the
    Unofficial nüCamp T@B 400 Resource Guide page 22.

"The cover gets stored under the seat closest to the front door while driving so it doesn’t fly off and get lost in transit."

I called nuCamp yesterday and the rep said he really didn't know.

I don't trust it to stay on for very long driving freeway speeds into a wind so I plan to build my own like this one.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12361/outside-cover-for-coolcat-ac-vent-t-b400/p1

2021 T@B400 BD
    2000 Tundra 4x4 poverty pulling luxury
    Calif. coastal-sand & redwoods
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited June 2022
    I've never considered keeping it on. It's supposed to be for preventing bugs from getting in while stored but all the bugs I have in my area could easily bypass the cover however Ive never had an issue with my 2019 400 or my 2022 so far. 

Why would you drive with it on?  I mean I've never driven with it on and never seen a reason I would need to drive with it on. 
  • Options
    @TabbyShack the reason I was thinking leave it on would be to keep road debris / rain / etc from getting in.  But being held on by just snaps I was concerned it might get pulled off by wind.

Sounds like the recommendation though, is take it off when driving, so that we shall do!
    (And then put it back on when we get to our friends place because we're not going to run the AC)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    Definitely take it off when driving at speed or the wind may tear it off. I think it mainly is intended for long-term storage.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    This is my second 400 so in the past 4 years I've never had anything get in there while driving that I noticed. I don't travel long distances but I'm sure the cover is intended just for storage to keep bugs/wasps out mostly.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Going down a freeway, I would take it off, least you loose it whilst going down those highways.  I believe our TaB manual had a warning about removing the cover before towing the trailer.  Glomg down back roads at 50mph or less, especially dirt roads, I leave,the cover on to keep the dust out.  But going down a highway, I would take it off.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited June 2022
    When we made the cover for our CoolCat grill the primary purpose was to keep rain and highway grime out of the opening while traveling.  The spray from along side big trucks can easily overwhelm the small drains these openings have.  I assumed it was a similar goal with the snap on covers although the problem is probably much less with the high mounted AC units and their smaller grills.  
    Aren't the snaps used similar to the parts used on vinyl tops and covers common on cars and boats?  Those are made to use while traveling...

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    On our 400 I have towed at speed with the cover off and on with no issues. I note that our snaps are quite tight however. The times we have towed at speed with cover on have raised no concerns as it stays very securely attached.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes they are the same snaps used on boats, but boats do not normally go 60-70 mph.  With use the snaps become a little looser.  Something to be aware of.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    So I reached out to nuCamp customer service about this, to get the "official" skinny.  Got a reply just a few seconds ago, to quote:
    We suggest that you leave it off while in transit due to the possibility of it being blown off and you losing it.

So there you have it, the official recommendation is to leave off when in transit!  (I'd started to say "when towing," but if you're just moving around your storage lot or a campsite?)

Jay and Kat
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Another item for the checklist. When towing, battery switch ON and AC cover OFF. Thanks

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab