Options

Tab 400 fridge won’t work on propane

Looking for some help here on 3 way fridge on propane. Boondocking right now. Tab 400 is level. Opened propane valve slowly. Propane on stove has been running for over a minute just to make sure it’s bled out. Set the fridge to propane (not just auto) and I hear the clicking of the igniter for 15 seconds or so and then error code 3. Tried about 15 times now. Took the cover off outside and everything appears connected right. Hoping not to keep fridge on battery because I’ll wake up with no battery. Any other ideas? 

‘22 Tab 400

Comments

• Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    Takes a long time to bleed out the refer gas line due to the low flow. Keep reseting, took me about 10 to 12 tries before mine started up first time.
  • Options
    OysterTab400OysterTab400 Member Posts: 5
    @tinknocker By resetting do you mean turning the fridge off to clear the error code and trying again? Does it help to run the stove? Not sure if it’s the same propane line since it’s the opposite side of the trailer. 
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    Yes, turn it off and try again. No need to run the stove.
  • Options
    paulgbernardpaulgbernard Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2022
    Had the exact same issue. Try tapping on the propane shutoff relay with a screwdriver. Mine was stuck shut, and after I gave it a few taps, it started working. Also a 2022 Tab 400 Boondock.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    How about a photo @paulgbernard!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Unfortunately I do not have my trailer here at the moment, so I cannot take a picture. It's behind the bottom cover. Little blue box on the propane feed line to the burner. I will post a picture if I can find one. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    This is what you are looking for. If it is not clicking on, that's your culprit. If it is clicking on, make sure the screw below the relay is turned on and allowing propane to flow through. Good luck!
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    Agggggggg, I could just scream.

I had been running the fridge on AC for 24hours prior to a four day trip last week.  Fridge was good, then about 2 hours before leaving tried to startup (first time since I've owned the T@B) on propane . No go, same problem. Tried maybe 10 times. I opened the exterior lower side panel and igniter cover and verified visible spark. You can do this by just removing a couple of screws.  Just to make sure it was a gas delivery issue I put a lighter to the burner during the clicking time (which lasted like 30 seconds).  Tapped the solenoid a few times.  Gas on stove came right on worked fine.  Shutoff gas at tank, loosened tank fitting, re-tightened and opened valve slowly.  Nothing. Called dealer, they indicated I did exactly what they recommended and said bring it in. Nope, not an option. Since the fridge was cold put the food in fridge but I grabbed a cooler. At destination tried again, nothing.  Switched food to a cooler and dealt with that for 4-days.  What a PITA.

Returned last night, checked this morning, still did not work.  Opened side panel, rapped the solenoid a few times, tried again and after 2 clicks it fired up.  I repeat, Arggggggggggggg.

The solenoid is the blue part in the pic, I just used the handle end of the square drive tool to whack on it. I had to hold the black cover (with the grey wire attached) since the assembly can rotate on the valve.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Thanks for the pictures and the testimonials. Glad we aren’t alone. 

Ok, so the screw should be “open” and in the same direction as the pipe to allow propane through and then whack at the solenoid while it’s clicking to get the propane to flow through. I’ll report back if this works. Note to self: always have a cooler with an already cold freezer pack on hand if you plan on boondocking. Or just get the fridge ice cold at level 5 on shore power before leaving and then run it at level 1 on battery when you can during the day while the solar trickle charges the battery. 
  • Options
    @paulgbernard thanks for the response again. Just tried boondocking on propane for the fridge again. I heard the clicking and started hitting the solenoid with the screwdriver a few times. Then I heard a flame lit and the fridge appears to be running with no error code 3. I can actually use my 3 way fridge now without power and killing my battery. Thanks again for the pictures too. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    edited April 2023
    @OysterTab400, note that the "battery" (a.k.a. DC) setting on a 3-way fridge is only intended for use when the trailer is connected to a running tow vehicle (i.e., while in transit). You are correct that running the fridge on battery while in camp will kill your battery--and probably pretty quickly at that. Even solar--unless you have a lot of it--probably won't keep up with the drain.
    It's also my understanding that the fridge temperature control does not operate in battery mode, so setting it to "1" will have no effect on battery life.
    If I found myself in the same predicament I'd probably just get a big block of ice and treat the fridge as a really expensive cooler...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DeerfoxDeerfox Member Posts: 1
    Hugs and kisses to all of you. Our first trip of the year and our upcoming trip to the beach are saved because of this incredible forum. I am SOOO relieved! Thank you so much! 
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Ucamp23 was a wonderland of useful and correct info. Their techs stated that if are having propane problems(refer or alde) the first thing to check is the regulator on the tanks. 
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

I just returned from a 30 day 6000 mile excursion from South Carolina to Arizona and Utah and back. On the way out our 3-way frig stopped cooling on gas. This prevented use from cool the frig on travel days and boondocking. We had no error code because there was a flame on the frig burner. I also noticed the stove had enough gas to cook with but when turned to full the flame did not make that typical fluttering sound that I taught I had remembered. We traveled this was for several days untill I realized it was a pressure problem and went to Camping World and changed out the regulator. If you to see the efficiency of the frig on gas drop consider changing the gas regulator. Now that I know the regulator is more fragile than I taught I am considering putting a gauge on the regulated pressure side.

• Options
    dgrovebeesdgrovebees Member Posts: 7
    I, too, am very grateful for the posts above, and the solution for me came at the “ June 2022 Subkron” post, where there is actually a photo of the solenoid to tap. Ironically, after praying with my wife for a solution to this issue before we leave on a vacation soon, I came out, prepared to tap the solenoid, and tried one more time to fire it up—and found the gas running and flame burning without tapping it at all :-) thank you, Lord! And thank you all for sharing above! What a great Forum!  What a happy sight and sound!!  And by the way, for those who are losing heart —-keep trying. this was at least my fifth try at turning off and turning on the refrigerator on propane after having run it on shore power for several days