Options

Looking and Researching

nettlesnettles Member Posts: 30
I've been looking at NuCamp 320s and 400 compared to Little Guy Minnie Max and Max. 

I prefer NuCamp at this point. 

My tow vehicle is  2013 Highlander with 5000 lb tow capacity.    I think I'd be comfortable towing the 320.  I don't want to stick  husband with all the towing but I'm not sure I'd want to tow the 400. 

Any comments from other hesitant drivers new to towing?  I really wanted to keep the width at 7 feet or less but I think I could get used to width of 400.

Also, I prefer the 400 solo version because the bed configuration.  It would work well for two adults and a 45 lb dog.  We used to camp in a van and also a low profile fifth wheel so I have an idea about sleeping arrangements and how we'd like to move about inside.  I definitely don't want to be crawling in and out of a shared bed.

Mostly, the coach will be used as a hangout space for me and some camping.  

Husband would definitely be more comfortable in the 400.  I can't picture him comfortably using the kitchen or the bathroom in the 320s.  What a difference 2 more inches in height would make!   (He'd be comfortable standing in the Minnie Max but I don't like the way the large refrigerator and closet by the door cut off the bed space and can't easily get to  microwave on the floor.)

U-shaped dinette in 320 works well for hangout space for me.  So would the dinette and convertible bed  in the 400 solo.

So happy to find this group.  So much helpful information.
2018 T@B 320s, 2013 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited June 2022
    You will be fine with the highlander. You also need to be very mindful of the tongue weight capacity of your tow vehicle as well. Its likely 500 but double check that. I will say though that prior to the 2021 400 model, the tongue weight was very heavy at least 420+. The 2021 and newer are below 320 dry weight.  Once you get loaded for camping your tongue weight will increase obviously.  You would want to minimize any additional weight added to the tongue like bike racks or other bins I see people add to the tongue.   I see MANY people putting bikes on the tongue and frankly that makes me freak out. 

Anyway, I sent you that one 2020 Solo listed on RV Trader, but I'm pretty sure that will have the heavier tongue weight and also the issue with the Air8 air conditioner.  If a 2021 or newer is in your budget I would highly recommend going that route. 

I've owned a 320 and a 400 and there is no noticeable difference in towing as far as handling. I will say the 400 is a bit easier to back up into sites because the smaller the camper the more squirrely it will be backing it up.  

You could consider letting your two travel companions have the back bed and you take the front dinnette area made into a bed, but as I mentioned in my other post, I like to take the table out to give alot of walking around room...but if you would need to use the table for meals, or a bed, then that obviously wouldn't work. 

Bottom line, I would rule out the 320 for two adults and a dog and don't let towing even be a factor in your decision because there is no difference other than the obvious weight difference, but handling wise/backing up the 400 is better!

If you are looking for an AWESOME low price, depending on where you live, check with Juniata Valley RV in Mifflintown PA. Ask for Rick and tell them you were referred by Robyn Eller.  I've bought three T@Bs from them.  I've referred more than a dozen people there and more than half have purchased from them because of their low prices.  I got my 2022 400 for $34,390 in February. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2022
    I personally wouldn’t do a 320 with two adults and a dog, but I know quite a few people who do and are happy with it. It really depends on all three beings that are involved! But if either adult is taller than 5’8”, you’re asking them to be bent over anytime they’re indoors. I cannot emphasize strongly enough to anyone shopping, you need to go and spend not just a few minutes, but at least a couple of hours inside a 320 before you seriously consider buying one. Act out all the things you would do while camping: Pretend to sleep. Pretend to use the toilet, shower, and get dressed. Pretend to cook. Where will you store everything? If the weather is terrible and you’re all cooped up in there together, how long can you handle that? Heck, on my last trip, I spent most of the last full day cooped up solo and I was definitely ready to go home at that point, I was just tired of being confined to such a small space.

The excessive tongue weight on the older trailers is a problem for the Highlander, as noted. I also agree with @TabbyShack that the Air8 on a 400 is a huge no-go as well. The Solo wasn’t a popular floor plan, so very few were made, and given the tongue weight/Air8 issue, I’d say it’s not worth chasing one down. (Edit: per Denny’s comment below, these may not be issues with the Solo…I would absolutely triple check both in person if I were looking to buy, as both are critical to your enjoyment of your trailer.) If the bed in the regular 400 is a dealbreaker for you, I’d look at other brands. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited June 2022
    @nettles, @TabbyShack, the TaB400 Solo is a nice trailer, the only real difference, other than the bed layout, is the Solo has a larger 2-way compressor fridge (now available on new 2022 TaB400s, and doesn’t have the large hanging locker in the TaB400 standard models (without the larger fridge option).  The Solo also has the CoolCat AC, not the Air8, that was only used in the 2020 Standard TaB400 (non Solo model).  

I also was looking at the Solo, which had just come out when we were looking to buy a TaB. However, we got a good deal on a lightly used 2018 TaB400, so we got that one.  The Solo also had a bit lighter tongue weight with the large fridge and battery well behind the axle, reducing the tongue weight.

We also looked at eye 320, and liked the outside teardrop style rear galley on the CS model.  But we found the inside of the 320 too low for me (5’9”) and I could only stand up in the middle of the trailer.  The washroom was also too small to comfortably shower in.  The TaB400 checked all our boxes, and is easy to tow.  We tow with a Jeep Gladiator (6,000/600 towing capacity), and the Highlander should tow the TaB400 just fine.  
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone.  All the salespeople say don't worry about the tongue weight limit of 500 but  I didn't believe them.  I've resigned myself to not having a bike rack.  Bikes might fit in the back of the car.  

I feel better about towing the 400 after reading the comments.

The dedicated bed space in 400 is fine if I can't find a Solo.  I'd just prefer a seating area in the back by that stargazer window.  Not a deal killer. 

Good to know about the tongue weight and large fridge.

Husband won't sleep with the dog and couldn't sleep in the dinette.  So the dog gets a bed on the floor until he sneaks into the dinette bed with me.  Works for me.

The dinette area without a table is an  awesome idea for hanging out.  I have a sweet spot with a great view to park when I'm at home. 

We mostly socialize outside when camping.  We love Florida state parks.

I'm in central Ohio so Minnesota is too far to look at trailers.  I'll check out the Pa dealer.  Mark Wahlberg is the Columbus dealer.  They aren't very motivated for some reason.  

We started out looking at small  Amerilite and  Olympia models but felt they were pushing the weight and  tongue limit and too long for me to tow..  I would like to see a Flagstaff e-pro 15 TB.  Similar layout to 320 but no head banging and room for the dog.  Those would put me at about $25 k.  Not easy to find.

Also, I like the Happier Camper HC1 but they are rare.  Not sure how comfy their modular system would be but it sure looks cool.  The options add up quick on those.  Probably about $45 to 50 minimum.  Absolutely no used ones.  Nowhere close to see one either.

Styling and amenities on 400 are so nice.  No doubt husband would like it better.

I'm going to look for a used 2021 400 standard or solo in central Ohio and hope for the best.  

It won't fit in the garage so I'll have to figure out winter storage.  That shouldn't be too difficult.

Again, thanks.  Learned so much.

• Options
    Jake_Elwood_and_usJake_Elwood_and_us Member Posts: 40
    I just bought a 400 and have never towed anything but as I age I'm willing to try new things and not let my over cautious self hold me back. We decided on the 400 because I get up early and wanted a place to have my coffee while my wife sleeps in. The 400 towed even easier than I imagined a 320 would.
    2021 T@B400 BD
    2000 Tundra 4x4 poverty pulling luxury
    Calif. coastal-sand & redwoods
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @TabbyShack thanks for your comments on the towing a 400 vs a 320. I really like the 6 1/2' wide 320 so the 7 1/2' wide 400 makes me nervous, but I'd really like a larger trailer. Do you use tow mirrors? When you got your first 400, did it feel huge behind you compared to the 320? I plan to get a larger SUV or full sized truck to tow the 400. Thanks!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited June 2022
    I've never even thought to consider the width. No I don't use mirrors. I can see around the sides of the trailer fine for changing lanes etc with my stock Jeep Wrangler mirrors.  It definitely did not and does not feel huge. I really can't remember even paying any attention to the difference. Maybe if I had been focusing on it I might have noticed but you really dont need to be nervous. I'm in an informal club with two other lady 400 owners. We all camp and tow confortable. I havent I heard any of us say anything about being uncomfortable with the width or height. The 400 tows very easy.  It doesn't feel big in the lane or anything. I tow it on big super busy and fast paced 495 beltway in the Washington DC area....6-8 lane busy interstates. No uncomfortable feeling at all. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @TabbyShack: "I tow it on big super busy and fast paced 495 beltway in the Washington DC area....6-8 lane busy interstates. No uncomfortable feeling at all."

Whoa!! You are amazing! Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    While the stock Jeep mirrors work on the newer Jeeps, which have wider mirrors.  I still added a small extension mirror on each side mirror to see approaching traffic from behind.  These mirrors were made for a previous model year Jeep, but found some 3D printed brackets that work on the new Wrangler snd Gladiator, which share the same front design.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Forgot to say (on this thread) that you can get pretty decent visibility behind you by keeping the front and rear shades open. 
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    Our 320s is tight.  To those who ask, we say its fine if we each stand on one leg!
    No room for two to stand when the bed is made.  My wife withdraws to the bathroom so I can make the bed or dress.   At 5'8" I am hitting the ceiling in the cabin and have to crouch in the bath.  A bit more room would be very nice but we bought this to fit within the tow limit on a four-banger truck.  We wish the stove were external, do not wish to pollute the cabin with grease and water vapors so mostly use an outside camp stove.
    Yes, extension side mirrors are critical. 
    You might rent a UHaul enclosed box trailer for a day and see what how your vehicle handles and what your sight challenges are.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 349
    We have a 320CS. As a camping trailer it is amazing. A 7ft wide outside kitchen and a 7ft dresser inside for storage. We keep our table on the outside mount. I will agree, it is a "sit-down" toilet. Standing is not practical. You will be sitting for the shower too. Once the bed is made, only one person may change clothes at a time. We did name it the "Just Enough". Great for camping. For traveling, I would recommend the larger accommodations and inside dinette of the 400. It just looks better at a rest area or parking lot to be able to use the trailer without "setting up" all the outside rooms. It comes to living inside or living outside while using the trailer.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    "Just Enough" is a great name!  We used to van camp but gave it up because we could no longer perform the acrobatics you describe.  I wish I'd find a 400 Solo Boondock or a 2017 320-cs without the wetbath.  It has a bench in the front that would be perfect for the dog.  I can deal with not using the kitchen at rest stops.  I need the space more than the bathroom.   Most places I camp have bathrooms.    My must haves  are bed setup (no head banging or climbing over each other), and  room for the dog.  This forum has given me lots of ideas as to how to make things work.   I've given up on getting a new one because our local dealer is unreachable.  No one returns phone calls.  That really concerns me.

And renting a Uhaul for practice is a great idea!