Options

2020 T@b400 Freshwater tank leak at sensors (need help!)

b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
De-winterized and discovered a small leak yesterday. Pulled the coroplast, and the leak appears to be coming from where the KIB sensors are installed (see pic). Has anyone dealt with this before, and if so, do you know the recommended approach for fixing it? Have a call into NuCamp, but who knows if they will get back today. As Murphy would have it, planning on leaving tomorrow. I know I can 'wing' a fix, but would like to do it right so that I don't have to repeat anytime soon.

Thanks for any insight!

-Jeff

2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
Jeff --Front Range of Colorado

Comments

• Options
    Any likelihood it's as simple as tightening it? Seems like an odd thing to loosen, but I suppose the rubber material could b e failing over time, in which case I assume I'd need a new sensor(s)?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    I would check to see if there is any play in the nut.  Looks like there is a washer that may need replacement, too.  Can you tell if there is any sealant under the washer?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Cannot tell, but looking at install videos I don't think there should be. 
  • Options
    Are the sensors on top of the tank?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    You may have better luck sending a photo and question to tech@nucamprv.com.
  • Options
    Sensors are on the side, where the nuts and wires are in the pic. Have talked to Creede about it, he's never seen this before. As it turns out, it's because there is actually a pinhole leak at the very top edge of the tank, in the concave part of the 90° angle (image below). After tightening the sensor nuts, I refilled the tank fully, at which point the leak was obvious, as it was spurting out from a single point. I guess the water had leaked enough overnight that this morning it appeared that the water was coming from the sensor. Leak circled in yellow below.

I guess I'll look into some sort of Plumbers Goop (that I've read about here) to seal the hole. Very strange place to develop a leak after 2+ years of owning it. 

• Options
    I wonder if something kicked up from the road through that gap in the frame?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Yet yet another reason to cover those slots.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    While I doubt this was caused by driving with a full water tank, I’ve been curious if there are negative impacts (aside from gas mileage) of driving with a full tank on mounts and the tank itself getting stressed?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road