Options

Is there a mouse in the house? Keeping mice out while boondocking

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I recently read a campsite review of a boondocking site, that was in a meadow, and the reviewer said both they and their friends got mice in their trailers' are there vulnerable spots in the T@b that need to be sealed up to prevent mice?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I was warned in SE CO while out boondocking to keep my door shut or I might find a rattler inside - Yikes
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I've read of locales where mice are known to get into RVs as well as TVs overnight and eat insulation from wiring, sometimes leaving the vehicle incapacitated. Apparently the "fix" was to put a string of lights under the RVs, into engine compartments, and in other vulnerable locations such as basements on motorhomes.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    If you look under the cover in the back of the bed area, where the Alde radiator and the Alde reservoir are, you might be able to see right through to the rear-end plastic body panel.

You could the panel on mine because the insulation sheet had been installed badly, too short and not attached, and that insulation is all that's between the living space and the rear plastic body. (Wind was blowing in there til I corrected it.)

So I crawled under the Tab and stuffed steel wool into the exposed small cavities on the plastic trim under there, because that seemed like a potential mouse entryway.

Others have suggested Irish Spring soap in conspicuous places.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    So I crawled under the Tab and stuffed steel wool into the exposed small cavities on the plastic trim under there, because that seemed like a potential mouse entryway.
    Steel wool? Why not the spray insulation?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2015
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I bought a case of stainless steel scrubbies to fill holes in my old farmhouse sill. Foamed them in place.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I put moth balls under mine in my barn while storing...also my race cars to keep the mice from chewing wires etc. guess you could keep a few under t@b while camping also...also put mice bait out... Learned this from many farmers that have suffered thousands of dollars to tractors and farm equipment wiring from mice...